Vote your opinion of Matt Nagy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Select the choice closest to your view of Matt Nagy...

1. Nagy is the perfect choice! Superbowl bound baby!
5%
2. Have a good feeling about Nagy. Definitely moving in the right direction.
68%
3. Nagy has his plusses and minuses. Too early to tell.
25%
4. There were better choices. Not feeling the vibe.
No votes
5. Nagy's going to be a disaster. No doubt about it.
2%

Total votes: 56
Middleguard
MVP

I was #3 until now, "too early to tell," but now I can tell a few things by his staff selections. #2 without reservation.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've come across a few stories now that said Nagy was difficult to coach as a player, there's a YouTube video from his playing days too where you can see him bickering with his coach.

Different from coaching of course but it makes me wonder if he loses his cool/composure when things aren't going well.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Umbali
MVP

I choose 2 but wavered about picking 3.

I look at it this way, say we got McDaniels, he would probably be able to scheme better right off the bat, but his attitude and the risk of the people he will alienate might blow up. With Fangy we get a bright upcoming mind that wants to build relationships and be positive. That much more likely to make the players play hard for him. When you then take into mind he was able to get Vic it just makes it that much better.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
docc
Head Coach

Nagy+Fangio=Fangy..?
Adipost
MVP

I believe that Matt Nagy is a YUGE hire for the Bears. Dude is still being underrated. What he did with Alex Smith was beyond phenomenal.

Alex Smith has never had a strong arm, nor has he ever had any confidence in his arm. The throw where you need both arm strength and confidence is the one in between the linebacker and the safety. Knowing this, opposing teams could easily gameplan for Smith.

What Nagy has done is schemed completely around this deficiency. Even though teams knew what Alex Smith was incapable of, the offensive system still kept them guessing.

First of all, Nagy installed a ton of pre snap motions from everywhere. This was to confuse the defense and make it easier on Smith to read the defense. I mean, they would have Hunt lined up at WR, motion him back next to Smith in the shotgun, and then motion back to WR. They did a lot of jet sweep motions with Hill pre snap as well. The defense had to try to ignore all of this movement or they were toast.

Secondly, Nagy installed an offense of quick short passes or deep homerun shots, which eliminated the need to try to fit the ball into a window. And this is why they valued speed at WR so much more than anything. He’d have 3 burners all go deep to vacate the entire middle of the field for an easy pass to Kelce. Or he’d call a quick screen pass to Hill while everyone else went deep. And when the defense started cheating to stop these passes, Nagy would go straight for the jugular with deep passes over the entire secondary.

In the times where the play call didn’t work, Smith wouldn’t even attempt to force something else. He’d just put his head down and evacuate the pocket. He’s the prototypical system passer. Most of the credit should go to Nagy on this one.
Atari_Collector
Rookie

2 or 3, past experience tells me I should choose 3, but dangit I chose 2!