Vote your opinion of Matt Nagy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Select the choice closest to your view of Matt Nagy...

1. Nagy is the perfect choice! Superbowl bound baby!
5%
2. Have a good feeling about Nagy. Definitely moving in the right direction.
68%
3. Nagy has his plusses and minuses. Too early to tell.
25%
4. There were better choices. Not feeling the vibe.
No votes
5. Nagy's going to be a disaster. No doubt about it.
2%

Total votes: 56
G08
Hall of Famer

I went with #3... the days of G08 diving head first into the kool-aid for this franchise are ovah.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I went with #3... the days of G08 diving head first into the kool-aid for this franchise are ovah.
Exactly. Burnt too many times.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I voted 2. I really, really like the hire. I hate to say 'perfect choice', but I think he's as close to one as there was on the market. Pace needed a HC that was a generational and personality match to his own, and I think he found it.

Very optimistic. If the Bears can retain Fangio, then I think you will find a lot of the key defensive pieces we want to keep, will be easier to retain. Then we can really get this party started. Won't happen next year, but by 2019...hold on to your butts.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Voted 2. 1 is for somebody like Parcells, Belichick, Gibbs, etc.

I'm encouraged that one got one of the hot coaching candidates and then also that Pace didn't hesitate to get his guy.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

If rumors are true that the GREAT Harry Hiestand is coming back to the Bears, this will be a HOME RUN hire!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Shu
wab
Mod

I think I'm more encouraged that people are talking about how impressive the Bears FO is.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

wab wrote:I think I'm more encouraged that people are talking about how impressive the Bears FO is.
Agreed!
-Shu
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:Nagy was one of my top 3 ... and I think his hire is definitely a move in the right direction ... my dream would be for him to do for Trubisky what McVay has done for Goff

and if the Bears do retain Fangio to keep the defensive side intact and under control, I will be very happy and feel even more confident they are headed in the right direction
Asking for Nagy to be McVay, is no more fair than asking him to be Belichick.

McVay is a unicorn. A once in a decade/generation kind of a guy. That doesn't mean he cannot be a very successful HC.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Boris13c wrote:Nagy was one of my top 3 ... and I think his hire is definitely a move in the right direction ... my dream would be for him to do for Trubisky what McVay has done for Goff

and if the Bears do retain Fangio to keep the defensive side intact and under control, I will be very happy and feel even more confident they are headed in the right direction
Asking for Nagy to be McVay, is no more fair than asking him to be Belichick.
I didn't say I was expecting him to be ... I said it it is my dream that Nagy + Trubisky can = McVay + Goff ... and I won't let you spoil it :nana:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think I'm more encouraged that people are talking about how impressive the Bears FO is.
Makes you wonder how much pull/influence Fox had in the FO? It almost seems as if the restraints have been lifted and Pace has come out running.

More likely McCaskey kept the reigns on Pace until he made his own hire (Nagy) and now has let him do what he wants.
IotaNet
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Makes you wonder how much pull/influence Fox had in the FO? It almost seems as if the restraints have been lifted and Pace has come out running.

More likely McCaskey kept the reigns on Pace until he made his own hire (Nagy) and now has let him do what he wants.
Also - remember that when Pace got hired, he was the youngest GM in the league. He had no drafts under his belt, no hours in the building -- heck, hadn't even done a press conference. He had tons of potential but very little experience.

Some of what was being done with him was grooming, teaching, and allowing him to figure it out. He needed training wheels.

Three years later, the training wheels are off and he seems to be fulfilling the potential that everyone saw in him. With that, comes the authority to call his own shots and that's what we're seeing.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Also - remember that when Pace got hired, he was the youngest GM in the league. He had no drafts under his belt, no hours in the building -- heck, hadn't even done a press conference. He had tons of potential but very little experience.

Some of what was being done with him was grooming, teaching, and allowing him to figure it out. He needed training wheels.

Three years later, the training wheels are off and he seems to be fulfilling the potential that everyone saw in him. With that, comes the authority to call his own shots and that's what we're seeing.
That's sort of what I meant. You just said it much better than I did. :D
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I'll also be interested to see how his draft and FA strategy changes. Fox preferred a specific type of player, especially in FA.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I'll also be interested to see how his draft and FA strategy changes. Fox preferred a specific type of player, especially in FA.
Offensively: skill players with juice
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Offensively: skill players with juice
careful with the juice references ... we don't need She-Ra Matthews and those of his ilk

but it will be nice if the Bears become a potential positive destination for high end free agents to want to play for rather than borderline or below average types being the standard to choose from
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

I want and hope for number one, but I’ve chosen number 3. That said I’m optimistic.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Allen Robinson, please.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Skeptically optimistic.

Nagy wasn't my top guy.

Positive
-I do love the scheme
- appears to be assembling good staff

Negatives

- just inherited a huge responsibility HC and play caller. He has little to no experience
docc
Head Coach

This "Nagy is so young" thing..
Ditka was 3 years older at 42 when Papa Bear made him "Da Coach"
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I've definitely got a good feeling. To speak to Andy Reid's comment specifically, Reid has no reason to fabricate a comment like that. The best assistant he's ever had? I have no reason not to believe that. Reid brought him to Kansas City with him after he left Philly.(fired whatever I don't care).

He scouted Mitchell for KC, so he at least knows his pluses and minuses as a prospect. Now he has tape against legit NFL defenses to go through.

He's put together a solid staff(so far). With Vic becoming more and more likely to stay, I can't help but be positive.
Middleguard
MVP

I was #3 until now, "too early to tell," but now I can tell a few things by his staff selections. #2 without reservation.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've come across a few stories now that said Nagy was difficult to coach as a player, there's a YouTube video from his playing days too where you can see him bickering with his coach.

Different from coaching of course but it makes me wonder if he loses his cool/composure when things aren't going well.
Umbali
MVP

I choose 2 but wavered about picking 3.

I look at it this way, say we got McDaniels, he would probably be able to scheme better right off the bat, but his attitude and the risk of the people he will alienate might blow up. With Fangy we get a bright upcoming mind that wants to build relationships and be positive. That much more likely to make the players play hard for him. When you then take into mind he was able to get Vic it just makes it that much better.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
docc
Head Coach

Nagy+Fangio=Fangy..?
Adipost
MVP

I believe that Matt Nagy is a YUGE hire for the Bears. Dude is still being underrated. What he did with Alex Smith was beyond phenomenal.

Alex Smith has never had a strong arm, nor has he ever had any confidence in his arm. The throw where you need both arm strength and confidence is the one in between the linebacker and the safety. Knowing this, opposing teams could easily gameplan for Smith.

What Nagy has done is schemed completely around this deficiency. Even though teams knew what Alex Smith was incapable of, the offensive system still kept them guessing.

First of all, Nagy installed a ton of pre snap motions from everywhere. This was to confuse the defense and make it easier on Smith to read the defense. I mean, they would have Hunt lined up at WR, motion him back next to Smith in the shotgun, and then motion back to WR. They did a lot of jet sweep motions with Hill pre snap as well. The defense had to try to ignore all of this movement or they were toast.

Secondly, Nagy installed an offense of quick short passes or deep homerun shots, which eliminated the need to try to fit the ball into a window. And this is why they valued speed at WR so much more than anything. He’d have 3 burners all go deep to vacate the entire middle of the field for an easy pass to Kelce. Or he’d call a quick screen pass to Hill while everyone else went deep. And when the defense started cheating to stop these passes, Nagy would go straight for the jugular with deep passes over the entire secondary.

In the times where the play call didn’t work, Smith wouldn’t even attempt to force something else. He’d just put his head down and evacuate the pocket. He’s the prototypical system passer. Most of the credit should go to Nagy on this one.
Atari_Collector
Rookie

2 or 3, past experience tells me I should choose 3, but dangit I chose 2!