Filling out the Staff - Thread for all Assistant Coach Talk

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Richie
MVP

I have a lot of interest in Darren Bevell for OC.

Seahawks DVOA on Offense during Bevell tenure:

2011 22nd
2012 4th
2013 7th
2014 5th
2015 1st
2016 16th
2017 14th

Even his two down years with Wilson, they were still in the top half of the league. I have a hard time pinning the blame on him either. That offensive line is a complete and utter train-wreck.

He was also the OC for Favre's Vikings in 09 and 10. This is a guy who has been a part of a lot of success in the NFL, a lot of great QB's (QB coach for Favre/Rodgers in GB), developed Wilson within his offense and was once a coveted HC'ing candidate. With Nagy calling the plays, I would take him as OC any day. However, I think he winds-up somewhere that will give him play-calling responsibility.

Also, the good news about hiring a HC early as well? We get first cracks at assistants.

This a week earlier than we have ever hired a coach in the era of 16 game seasons.

Ditka - January 20th
Wannstedt - January 19th
Jauron - January 24th
Lovie - January 14th
Trestman - January 16th
Fox - January 16th

Nagy - January 8th
G08
Hall of Famer

I was on that wagon early but in talking to some Seahawks fans, they are THRILLED that he's out of the building. FWIW.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Richie
MVP

G08 wrote:I was on that wagon early but in talking to some Seahawks fans, they are THRILLED that he's out of the building. FWIW.
I don't always put a whole lot of stock into what fans of other team's say with their coaches. Fans are reactionary, and in constant need of a scapegoat.

His track record speaks for itself, IMO. Not to mention, he would be seeing a demotion here. He would not have play-calling duties.

You're saying a guy with his resume can't aide in the development of Trubisky? I don't buy it. Wilson was extremely raw as a rookie, and in a lot of the same ways that Trubisky is now. By year #2, Wilson was playing at an extremely high-level in Bevell's offense and won a Super Bowl.

The thought of him and Nagy together. With Nagy calling the plays, it gets me excited.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Harry freaking Hiestand!!!

(Just sayin'.)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Harry Hiestand hire is insane. As many have said, he's probably the best OL coach in the country. If we can keep Long healthy next year...look out.

For OC I have heard rumors of Mark Helfrich. He wasn't a very good HC, but he was instrumental in creating the Ducks offense in 2009-2012. He was the QB coach, and didn't call the plays there. So it might be a great match. I would like to see that happen.
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
G08 wrote:I was on that wagon early but in talking to some Seahawks fans, they are THRILLED that he's out of the building. FWIW.
I don't always put a whole lot of stock into what fans of other team's say with their coaches. Fans are reactionary, and in constant need of a scapegoat.

His track record speaks for itself, IMO. Not to mention, he would be seeing a demotion here. He would not have play-calling duties.

You're saying a guy with his resume can't aide in the development of Trubisky? I don't buy it. Wilson was extremely raw as a rookie, and in a lot of the same ways that Trubisky is now. By year #2, Wilson was playing at an extremely high-level in Bevell's offense and won a Super Bowl.

The thought of him and Nagy together. With Nagy calling the plays, it gets me excited.
Hey I hear ya man... the logic is there for sure.

Richie
MVP

Mikefive wrote:Harry freaking Hiestand!!!

(Just sayin'.)
This is VERY awesome.

Harry Hiestand returning to coach Bears offensive line

Reading his wiki bio, especially from his stint with us in the mid-00's gets me excited.

Hiestand was hired on January 11, 2005 as Chicago’s offensive line coach. The Bears were one of six teams to have the same five offensive linemen start all 16 games in 2008 (C Olin Kreutz, LG Josh Beekman, RG Roberto Garza, LT John St. Clair and RT John Tait), marking the first time since 2001 that Chicago had the same five players start all 16 contests along the line.

The offensive line would become the most experienced unit on the Bears roster over the next couple of years, led by 11-year veteran and six-time Pro Bowl C Olin Kreutz, who entered the 2009 season having started a team-high 102 consecutive games.

In 2008, Chicago’s offense attempted 557 pass plays and absorbed 29 sacks. In 2006, the Bears attempted 539 pass plays and allowed just 25 sacks, the lowest total given up by the team since allowing 17 in 2001, as Chicago went on to win the 2006 NFC Championship leading to the organization’s first Super Bowl appearance in 21 years.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Olin kreutz @olin_kreutz
1 hour ago

My thoughts on Hiestand are well known. He’s the best in the business. Yes this is a extremely Biased opinion.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Bear's current WR coach Zach Azzanni takes a position with the broncos.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:Bear's current WR coach Zach Azzanni takes a position with the broncos.

can the Bears force him to take the Bears WR's with him? exception being Dontrelle Inman ... he stays
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:The Harry Hiestand hire is insane. As many have said, he's probably the best OL coach in the country. If we can keep Long healthy next year...look out.
In Harry Hiestand, Matt Nagy hits a home run on his first swing at Bears' coaching staff

this is inspiring ... and a positive indication of more good things to come

happy to have this guy back
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

With Hiestand on board, I wonder with the "Long to tackle" stuff will start back up. (For the record I think moving outside would be better on his body.)
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:With Hiestand on board, I wonder with the "Long to tackle" stuff will start back up. (For the record I think moving outside would be better on his body.)
I've hated how much this dude has been jerked around, but IF that's the route we want to go I hope they tell him right fucking now rather than the day before the season starts. Let him hone his craft.

IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote: ... I've hated how much this dude has been jerked around, but IF that's the route we want to go I hope they tell him right fucking now rather than the day before the season starts. Let him hone his craft.
Agreed.

All he seems to want is to contribute. All this moving him around is keeping him from optimizing his talent. And the way his body seems to be breaking down, he may not have too many productive seasons left.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

Just kinda wonder if it wouldn't be better on his shoulders and neck out on the edge.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Gabriel tweeted that Hiestand wasn't staying at ND - and that at least 3 other clubs were pursuing him.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Harry freaking Hiestand!!!

(Just sayin'.)
This is VERY awesome.

Harry Hiestand returning to coach Bears offensive line

Reading his wiki bio, especially from his stint with us in the mid-00's gets me excited.

Hiestand was hired on January 11, 2005 as Chicago’s offensive line coach. The Bears were one of six teams to have the same five offensive linemen start all 16 games in 2008 (C Olin Kreutz, LG Josh Beekman, RG Roberto Garza, LT John St. Clair and RT John Tait), marking the first time since 2001 that Chicago had the same five players start all 16 contests along the line.

The offensive line would become the most experienced unit on the Bears roster over the next couple of years, led by 11-year veteran and six-time Pro Bowl C Olin Kreutz, who entered the 2009 season having started a team-high 102 consecutive games.

In 2008, Chicago’s offense attempted 557 pass plays and absorbed 29 sacks. In 2006, the Bears attempted 539 pass plays and allowed just 25 sacks, the lowest total given up by the team since allowing 17 in 2001, as Chicago went on to win the 2006 NFC Championship leading to the organization’s first Super Bowl appearance in 21 years.
Now you're talkin'.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I put this in the Fangio thread - but per twitter the Bears have reached out to Arizona DC James Bettcher about a position on staff.

UOK
Site Admin

Not sure if out there but source tells @SportingNews that @ChicagoBears will be hiring Charles London as new RBs coach. He had held same position with @HoustonTexans
G08
Hall of Famer

Chris Tabor to be Bears ST Coordinator... former Toub assistant.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Chris Tabor to be Bears ST Coordinator... former Toub assistant.

Tabor is a good hire - lasted through several Cleveland coaches.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Chris Tabor to be Bears ST Coordinator... former Toub assistant.
Apparently the Browns fans hated him...

"Once again, a special teams gaffe loses a game. How many games have the Browns lost the last several years due directly to special teams? It has to be more than half a dozen.
Any other coach is gone yesterday, but this guy is like the cockroach in a nuclear winter."

"The Jeff Fisher of special teams coaches."

"How long to we have to suffer through this guy's incompetence?"

Hope he does a better job here. I mean, it is the Browns, so it may not just be coaching...
G08
Hall of Famer

dan durkin

Verified account

@djdurkin
10m10 minutes ago
More
Using @RickGosselin9's special teams rankings. Browns under Chris Tabor listed below, #Bears in parenthesis.

2012: 14 (9)
2013: 25 (23)
2014: 17 (26)
2015: 19 (12)
2016: 26 (27)

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Seems like Tabor is a downgrade from Rodger tbh - but we'll see.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:dan durkin

Verified account

@djdurkin
10m10 minutes ago
More
Using @RickGosselin9's special teams rankings. Browns under Chris Tabor listed below, #Bears in parenthesis.

2012: 14 (9)
2013: 25 (23)
2014: 17 (26)
2015: 19 (12)
2016: 26 (27)
The browns didn’t have Devin Hester or Brenden Ayndabanjo
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

The Browns special teams regularly outperformed the team’s performance. Cleveland has had one of the worst rosters in football for years. There’s a reason Tabor lasted through multiple HC changes.

UOK
Site Admin

@PatrickMannelly

Chris Tabor is the real deal. One of my favorite coaches I ever played for. He coached thru 5 GM’s and 4 head coaches in Cleveland. They wouldn’t let him go. #Bears are lucky to get him.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@PatrickMannelly

Chris Tabor is the real deal. One of my favorite coaches I ever played for. He coached thru 5 GM’s and 4 head coaches in Cleveland. They wouldn’t let him go. #Bears are lucky to get him.

haha, awesome! what more do you need to know? Mannelly loves him, and I love Mannelly.
docc
Head Coach

Report: Bears to hire Charles London as running backs coach
Charles London will become the third former assistant to rejoin the Chicago Bears in 2018.
Matt Nagy and the Chicago Bears are slowly starting to build a coaching staff.

According to Alex Marvez of the Sporting News, the Bears are hiring Charles London as their running backs coach.

A former running back at Duke in the mid-1990s, Long appeared in 34 games during his career, rushing for a career high 291 yards with five touchdowns in 1995. He later became graduate assistant at Duke from 2004 to 2005 before coaching running backs at the university during the 2006. He then entered the NFL in 2007, working as an offensive quality control assistant for the Bears until 2009.

In 2011 he worked as an offensive assistant/quality control coach for the Tennessee Titans before joining Bill O'Brien's staff at Penn State between 2012 and 2013 as the running backs coach. He has held the running backs coach position in Houston since 2014.

London will become the third former assistant to sign with the Bears, joining offensive line coach Harry Hiestand and special teams coordinator Chris Tabor.