James Bettcher DC candidate from Az Cards//

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:Isn't Bettcher still under contract with the Cards though? Couldn't they just block our request to interview him?
He's in the running for the job but the thought is he isn't a top choice.

He does have a year left, but the thinking is if he doesn't get the head coaching job he's going to ask to leave for another team (hopefully us?). To your question, yes they could block our request and could force him to stay another year.

Gun to my head? Shurmur gets the AZ job, Fangio leaves, and Bettcher comes here.

I think our Plan C is Chuck Pagano.

I think McDaniels or Wilks goes to the Giants, Patricia to the Lions, and the loser of McDaniels/Wilks goes to the Colts.
That sounds about right.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

pus wrote:
Mikefive wrote:So is it an either/or situation? Both Bears and Cards will have new HCs with the DC applying and being denied. So Fangio and Bettcher will end up in those two destinations and it's just a matter of which one where? It's starting to sound that way, although some level of discomfort has been introduced by their rejection for the HC jobs. Hence, a DC swap seems the more likely outcome, even if both teams would probably rather stick with the guy they had.

I can't make a lick of sense out of what you said here.
Let me put it differently. Both the Bears and Cardinals are similar in the following respects:

1. Both are getting a new head coach.
2. Both have interviewed their previous DCs for the head coach job and rejected them for that role.
3. Both teams have expressly stated that they want their old DC back.
4. Both teams are reportedly interested in the other's DC if they can't convince the incumbent to return.
5. Both DCs seemingly have resistance to just returning to their old jobs with their old teams.

There are some things that don't align. The Bears have their coach. Arizona doesn't. Bettcher is under contract, but Fangio isn't.

This seems like a no brainer and the 2 DCs should just stay with their old team where they're wanted, they're familiar with the personnel and it avoids a disruptive scheme change. However, due to item #5, likely due to uncertainty about the new coach and perhaps because they were rejected for the HC job, they may prefer another employer. Thus, with other DC jobs getting filled and other DC guys not being connected to either team, it looks like an either/or situation. Either the DCs will get over their discomfort and return to their respective teams, or they'll just swap teams, since the interest is there.

And make no mistake, this whole scenario is driven by one person... Vic Fangio. He is the free agent and this is his power play. If he just came back to the Bears, this whole thing would be over for both he and Bettcher. It sure looks like Fangio is interested in seeing if Shurmur gets the AZ job and jumping in there, as Shurmur would be given his coordinator choice, which then frees up Bettcher for the Bears to nab.

The Bears are in a pickle though. Fangio wants to hold out. So even if the Bears give up on Fangio, their 2nd choice Bettcher is still under contract and Arizona can do the same thing to them that the Bears did to Cincy--deny the interview. Unless the Bears decide to go to their 3rd choice, they have to sit and wait.

That said, I know it's tampering and all, but I imagine that all parties involved here have had discussions about this situation, knows where each other stands and may cooperate a little more than anybody knows, even if a DC swap happens.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
pus wrote:
Mikefive wrote:So is it an either/or situation? Both Bears and Cards will have new HCs with the DC applying and being denied. So Fangio and Bettcher will end up in those two destinations and it's just a matter of which one where? It's starting to sound that way, although some level of discomfort has been introduced by their rejection for the HC jobs. Hence, a DC swap seems the more likely outcome, even if both teams would probably rather stick with the guy they had.

Let me put it differently. Both the Bears and Cardinals are similar in the following respects:

2. Both have interviewed their previous DCs for the head coach job and rejected them for that role.
4. Both teams are reportedly interested in the other's DC if they can't convince the incumbent to return.
5. Both DCs seemingly have resistance to just returning to their old jobs with their old teams.

There are some things that don't align. The Bears have their coach. Arizona doesn't. Bettcher is under contract, but Fangio isn't.

This seems like a no brainer and the 2 DCs should just stay with their old team where they're wanted, they're familiar with the personnel and it avoids a disruptive scheme change. However, due to item #5, likely due to uncertainty about the new coach and perhaps because they were rejected for the HC job, they may prefer another employer. Thus, with other DC jobs getting filled and other DC guys not being connected to either team, it looks like an either/or situation. Either the DCs will get over their discomfort and return to their respective teams, or they'll just swap teams, since the interest is there.

And make no mistake, this whole scenario is driven by one person... Vic Fangio. He is the free agent and this is his power play. If he just came back to the Bears, this whole thing would be over for both he and Bettcher. It sure looks like Fangio is interested in seeing if Shurmur gets the AZ job and jumping in there, as Shurmur would be given his coordinator choice, which then frees up Bettcher for the Bears to nab.

The Bears are in a pickle though. Fangio wants to hold out. So even if the Bears give up on Fangio, their 2nd choice Bettcher is still under contract and Arizona can do the same thing to them that the Bears did to Cincy--deny the interview. Unless the Bears decide to go to their 3rd choice, they have to sit and wait.

That said, I know it's tampering and all, but I imagine that all parties involved here have had discussions about this situation, knows where each other stands and may cooperate a little more than anybody knows, even if a DC swap happens.
Thanks I get it now - crock of shit but I get it.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
docc
Head Coach

I'd like Bettcher..watched the Cards a lot as they are on the tube here in Tucson every dam week.. The defense is nice,,attacking and consistent..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

pus wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
pus wrote:

Thanks I get it now - crock of shit but I get it.
Having slept on it, I did paint this a lot more black and white than the situation really is most likely. I do think the concept is arguable though. Still, with so many teams still in the playoffs, a whole lot of guys can't move right now anyway.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.