Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich "Concepts" in Chicago?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Hematite wrote:
Can you imagine the Bears routinely scoring over 20 points a game? Trubisky better be as happy as a pig in slop right now!
Had the bears scored 24 points per game this year, or roughly the league average, we would have been 12-4.

Of course there are a lot of variables that affect that, but still.....
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Next person that says 'Kelly Offense' gets a rolled-up newspaper across the nose.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Next person that says 'Kelly Offense' gets a rolled-up newspaper across the nose.

Fine. All I'm saying is that we should expect to see SOME of the Oregon concepts, under Chip Kelly, integrated into this offense. It is Nagy's offense. It will most likely be the KC offense. But with the hiring of Mark Helfrich, and given the potent Oregon offense in 2009-2012, you have to assume that Helfrich will bring a little of that to the table as they install it.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:Next person that says 'Kelly Offense' gets a rolled-up newspaper across the nose.

Fine. All I'm saying is that we should expect to see SOME of the Oregon concepts, under Chip Kelly, integrated into this offense. It is Nagy's offense. It will most likely be the KC offense. But with the hiring of Mark Helfrich, and given the potent Oregon offense in 2009-2012, you have to assume that Helfrich will bring a little of that to the table as they install it.
And I hope they do install concepts of the "Kelly Offense". Of course it will be Nagy's offense and as I made clear in the opening post, I expect the meat of his offense to be WCO based, but as BWN posted above, the hiring of Helfrich has to mean Nagy is interested in something there.

That's why I originally asked if Nagy has some conceptual idea that can integrate the "Kelly Offense" into his system without sacrificing TOP.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:
Hematite wrote:
Can you imagine the Bears routinely scoring over 20 points a game? Trubisky better be as happy as a pig in slop right now!
Had the bears scored 24 points per game this year, or roughly the league average, we would have been 12-4.

Of course there are a lot of variables that affect that, but still.....
Wow is that depressing...

...or encouraging depending on how you look at it.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

WOW! Great article. They bring up Mouse Davis. Which goes back to my childhood. I grew up in Portland, Oregon. My Dad used to take me to Portland State University football games when Mouse Davis was the coach and Neil Lomax was under center. Those games were a BLAST to watch. There were receivers running EVERYWHERE. PSU used to absolutely destroy teams. It was a lot of fun.
Middleguard
MVP

I want it to be Nagy's offense. Period. His.

It's said, "There's nothing new under the sun," implying true invention is impossible, but "We all stand on the shoulders of giants," implies we can transform what already exists into something better.

I want Nagy to be transforming. Not necessarily with a new play, but with a new synthesis. And fluid, because new ideas will appear elsewhere, old ideas will be refuted, players will change, players' abilities will change.

I want the Bears to become the envy of football, not just because they are winning, but also because they are doing it in innovative style. They did it 98 years ago, and 33 years ago on defense. I want more.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Middleguard wrote:I want it to be Nagy's offense. Period. His.

It's said, "There's nothing new under the sun," implying true invention is impossible, but "We all stand on the shoulders of giants," implies we can transform what already exists into something better.

I want Nagy to be transforming. Not necessarily with a new play, but with a new synthesis. And fluid, because new ideas will appear elsewhere, old ideas will be refuted, players will change, players' abilities will change.

I want the Bears to become the envy of football, not just because they are winning, but also because they are doing it in innovative style. They did it 98 years ago, and 33 years ago on defense. I want more.
It will be his offense. All this hand wringing on kelly's/helfrich/reid's/whomever's offense is tiresome.

Nagy knows what he wants and he is a listen and learn guy too. He is gonna take from his experience and everyone's experience around him to form his offense. If something works it works and is kept, if something doesn't it will be discarded.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Anyone that thinks this won’t be Nagy’s offense is crazy. It might take bits and pieces from that Oregon system, but it will be the seasoning, not the steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Anyone who cares too much who's offense this is needs a hobby.

'As long as it works' is the motto!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Here is a great article that was embedded in one that someone posted. This is the Four Verticals concept, and a fascinating read. I would expect to see quite a bit of this next year.

Four Verticals Concept
malk
Head Coach

Where did all the straw men come from? Seems to be happening a lot recently.

I haven't seen anyone suggest it won't be Nagy's offence. I have seen some nice reads and discussion on what concepts and previous coaches might inform the makeup of his offence.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
docc
Head Coach

UH,,
Hematite
Player of the Month

If Trubisky takes that leap next year like all good QB's usually do in their 2nd year, with the new offense coming in (and new/healthy weapons on the outside), I can see him putting up a monster year (3500+ yds, 20+ TD's). Goff had 3800 and 28 td's this year for comparison.

A lot of faith obviously goes into coaching him up, but Nagy's success with Smith sure provides confidence in that happening. I'm starting to feel the effects of the kool aid!
G08
Hall of Famer

It should be some creative minds coming together and creating an offense that will best suit Mitch and our weapons. It's a nice departure from the Mike Martzs and Dowell Loggains of the world (i.e. this is my system and this is the only way I will function).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Hematite
Player of the Month

Of every addition Nagy made, Helfrich is by far the most polarizing to me. Especially since he's going to help design the offense Nagy will be implementing for Trubisky and company.
On one hand, the spread concepts he undertook at Oregon with Marcus Mariota and a variety of other quarterbacks for a prolific Ducks offense is intriguing in a mesh of Nagy's version of the West Coast offense. With these two brainstorming Chicago's attack, expect high tempo fireworks that feature a bevy of pro and college concepts to keep defenses on their heels. The ideal would be another NFL offensive innovation not limited to the buzzword run-pass options of 2017. A West Coast spread option hybrid offense the league isn't prepared to handle..
On the other hand, Helfrich has never coached at the NFL level, a fact that he alluded to as much that could be a concern for his transition to the professional game last week. Coaching amateurs in a simplistic offense is drastically different from dealing with paid grown men of which most are physical freakishly sized and fast specimens. His adjustment in this niche will be key to how the Bears' offense as a whole adapts over time.
It's a good thing Helfrich is intelligent enough to be prepared for this once he gets comfortable, because the core tenets of football are the same at any level, regardless of the level of competition. He'll undoubtedly remind himself of this constantly at first.
Luckily enough, Nagy will be handling the play-calling as the head orchestral maestro, so Helfrich's primary role will be assisting in the development of Trubisky and in the designs of an extensive, but advantageous playbook. The 44-year-old will receive a lot of credit should he help the Bears' offense flourish. Or, if the plan fails, crash and burn out of the league. As boom or bust in an out-of-the-box hire as it gets.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/ ... s-nfl-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lets hope for the good of this franchise, Helfrich is getting tons of credit as Trubisky flourishes!!
Hematite
Player of the Month

Some more interesting tidbits...

"He can do it all in his head. He doesn't have to draw the pictures on the board," Koetter said. "Not many people can do that."
"He sees the game through the quarterback's eyes. We all have ideas, but if your quarterback can't execute those ideas, they are lines on a paper. Mark is as smart a football guy as I know."

Koetter took Helfrich with him from Oregon to Boise State and then Arizona State. Record-setting quarterbacks followed.

"Since he got with Chip, Mark won't give me all their spread secrets," Koetter said. "They definitely know what they are looking for in how defenses adjust to their spread."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2193 ... hare=other" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really think Nagy hit a home run with the hiring of Helfrich as OC. Nagy had his hand in the spread concepts implemented in Kansas City and went out and hired somebody with a far greater understanding of this type of offense. The ability to blend the WCO and the Spread offense with 2 coaches deeply rooted in their respective offenses is exciting to say the least.

I can't wait!
malk
Head Coach

On the other hand, Helfrich has never coached at the NFL level, a fact that he alluded to as much that could be a concern for his transition to the professional game last week. Coaching amateurs in a simplistic offense is drastically different from dealing with paid grown men of which most are physical freakishly sized and fast specimens. His adjustment in this niche will be key to how the Bears' offense as a whole adapts over time.
I find this a bit strange. Helfrich's presser mentioned quite a bit about the transition from college to pros but the difference was about how little practise time they get in the NFL compared to college. Unless I read it completely wrong.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

malk wrote:
I find this a bit strange. Helfrich's presser mentioned quite a bit about the transition from college to pros but the difference was about how little practise time they get in the NFL compared to college. Unless I read it completely wrong.
IMO, the transition difference is in what the QB and the WR read pre snap, the verbiage associated with calling plays, and giving WR's option routes. After that it's just football. Finding soft spots in zones, beating press, setting up players in man coverage for when you're the first read on a play...catching the ball.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:
I really think Nagy hit a home run with the hiring of Helfrich as OC. Nagy had his hand in the spread concepts implemented in Kansas City and went out and hired somebody with a far greater understanding of this type of offense. The ability to blend the WCO and the Spread offense with 2 coaches deeply rooted in their respective offenses is exciting to say the least.

I can't wait!
I have been saying this since the day they hired him. It was pure genius. Not sure what prompted it, or why, but I don't care. It will be Nagy's offense, a WCO to be sure. But sprinkle in some of the concepts that they ran at Oregon, and Hellfrich's experience with coaching QB's in this style of offense. If they can keep the band together for three years, you will start to see some serious shit in year two. I am ecstatic at the OC hire.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Hematite wrote:

I can't wait!
I have been saying this since the day they hired him. It was pure genius. Not sure what prompted it, or why, but I don't care. It will be Nagy's offense, a WCO to be sure. But sprinkle in some of the concepts that they ran at Oregon, and Hellfrich's experience with coaching QB's in this style of offense. If they can keep the band together for three years, you will start to see some serious shit in year two. I am ecstatic at the OC hire.
IMO, Nagy wanted to incorporate more of the spread into the WCO as he showed this year in KC. Pace talked about the collaborative effort that Nagy seemed to portray. Well, Nagy hired Helfrich, his spread offense professor, so that he could be his student while incorporating this offense!! Let's hope Nagy is before his time and has a combination that is sustainable!

Trubisky is kissing titties as we speak!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Hematite wrote:

I can't wait!
IMO, Nagy wanted to incorporate more of the spread into the WCO as he showed this year in KC. Pace talked about the collaborative effort that Nagy seemed to portray. Well, Nagy hired Helfrich, his spread offense professor, so that he could be his student while incorporating this offense!! Let's hope Nagy is before his time and has a combination that is sustainable!

I read comments like this and think... Maybe Nagy thought about it and asked himself what MUST happen for him to succeed. And at the top of the list is... Mitch Trubisky MUST succeed. So who should I get who would know how to have positive ideas for using Biscuit in the college concepts that allowed him to elevate from being a nobody to the 2nd pick in the NFL draft. And the answer to that question was Mark Helfrich.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:
Hematite wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Hematite wrote:

I can't wait!

I read comments like this and think... Maybe Nagy thought about it and asked himself what MUST happen for him to succeed. And at the top of the list is... Mitch Trubisky MUST succeed. So who should I get who would know how to have positive ideas for using Biscuit in the college concepts that allowed him to elevate from being a nobody to the 2nd pick in the NFL draft. And the answer to that question was Mark Helfrich.
Bingo...and who was one of the established Qb's in the NFL that flourished under these ideas who Trubisky has been compared to......Alex Smith!
docc
Head Coach

Make this happen.. Offense was injured and awful
Chicago Bears
4th NFC North
| 5-11

Passing Yards
32nd
192.8 PYPG
Rushing Yards
16th
111.8 RYPG
Total Yards Per Game
31st
304.6 YPG
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Long announced that he was having more surgeries this off-season. I think with the hiring of Nagy and Hellfrich, that Long is highly-motivated to get healthy, and to be part of this. I can't say I would blame him if he was dragging his feet during the Fox era.
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Long announced that he was having more surgeries this off-season. I think with the hiring of Nagy and Hellfrich, that Long is highly-motivated to get healthy, and to be part of this. I can't say I would blame him if he was dragging his feet during the Fox era.
I think Long is highly motivated about everything he does. That's helped him (get healthy quicker) and hurt him (he goes 100% even if his body is at 60%).

I don't believe he or most of the rest of the Bears during the Fox tenure (with the exceptions of Alshon Jeffery & Kyle Fuller) were less than enthusiastic to return to the team when it comes to evaluating their own injuries. That trait isn't in Long's DNA. He'd fall on a grenade for his teammates and coaches, but unfortunately his body may not be up for the task.

That said, good coaching CAN help keep him healthy. Most of Long's injuries have come because of poor technique and execution from his teammates (hence getting constantly rolled up on), and while yes, some of that is simply "football stuff," improved form and execution (and better talent) will result in plays finishing more soundly, allowing less penetration from defenders and more downhill momentum from runners.

At least in theory.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Love this guys mentality.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;