Bears hire Mike Furrey as WR coach

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Magnum_Ursus
Player of the Month

I can see how he could bring a lot of value to a WR room, he knows how to play the position and how to defend against it (and how to attack those defenses).
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Interesting hire. No pro coaching experience but a former teammate of Nagy and college coaching experience. Nagy said he wanted to hire teachers, he got another one. Big step up from Limestone college though.
I'm skeptical, but then again I don't know jack crap about this. It just seems to me that we'd want a guy with pro experience or bigger program college experience at a minimum. This is one of things though where I love the Nagy hire and trust the new coach.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Magnum_Ursus wrote:I can see how he could bring a lot of value to a WR room, he knows how to play the position and how to defend against it (and how to attack those defenses).
It really depends on how naturally talented he was as a receiver. If he could do it with out thinking, then he will be a terrible coach. But I don't think that is who he is. I think that he probably had to work really hard to try and compete, which means he should be a good teacher.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:Interesting hire. No pro coaching experience but a former teammate of Nagy and college coaching experience. Nagy said he wanted to hire teachers, he got another one. Big step up from Limestone college though.
I'm skeptical, but then again I don't know jack crap about this. It just seems to me that we'd want a guy with pro experience or bigger program college experience at a minimum. This is one of things though where I love the Nagy hire and trust the new coach.

if the guy knows basic fundamentals of the position, which he clearly showed as a player, then that is applicable at any level ... and that's where the Bears WR corp is sorely lacking

watch some of the 2017 games again (if you have the stomach for it) and watch how the receivers display no clue as to how to run a good pattern and gain separation from the defender

if Furrey is a good teacher, he can't help but improve this bunch of dolts ... and those not capable of learning no longer need to be here (which is most of them I think ... so maybe Furrey will have a more capable bunch to work with after a revamp of the unit?)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I'm kinda interested to see how Wheaton looks in this offense (assuming he's not cut). His skills seem to translate pretty well.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:I'm kinda interested to see how Wheaton looks in this offense (assuming he's not cut). His skills seem to translate pretty well.
I don't think Wheaton is on the roster next year.
Never Die Easy
Bad Flanders
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Magnum_Ursus wrote:I can see how he could bring a lot of value to a WR room, he knows how to play the position and how to defend against it (and how to attack those defenses).
It really depends on how naturally talented he was as a receiver. If he could do it with out thinking, then he will be a terrible coach. But I don't think that is who he is. I think that he probably had to work really hard to try and compete, which means he should be a good teacher.
^this^

The guy sounds like he shouldn't have been more than a great white hope preseason sensation. Instead he went around the block the hard way, made it back and turned that into an amazing single season and an average little NFL career after that. Gets good guy awards, nominated for Walter Payton award. Special teams ace. He was involved with player organizations, he was in on the concussion lawsuit.

This guy sounds like the definition of hustle as a player and someone who the players will relate with and love as a coach.

I guess it depends on how much stock you want to put in the idea that coaching is as much about motivation as it is about x's and o's, but the longer I go in life, the more I believe in motivation.

And, as far as x's and o's are concerned, the guy learned multiple positions at an NFL level... that's gotta count for something.

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy holds his own or even stands out a little.
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mike Furrey was notoriously void of talent as a WR, but worked his ass off from an undrafted/AFL guy. All the way to a 98 rec 1,000 yard season in 2006. It was a good story at the time.

Guy was six-foot nothing and slow. Had a nice 8 year career in the NFL. You cannot do that without being near-perfect from a technical standpoint as a WR.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mike Furrey was notoriously void of talent as a WR, but worked his ass off from an undrafted/AFL guy. All the way to a 98 rec 1,000 yard season in 2006. It was a good story at the time.

Guy was six-foot nothing and slow. Had a nice 8 year career in the NFL. You cannot do that without being near-perfect from a technical standpoint as a WR.
If this is the case, he will make a tremendous WR coach.
Middleguard
MVP

I think you're right. I hope you're right, because the Bears have been through a lot of these guys recently. Plus, it's always a good feeling when you can turn a former enemy to assist your cause.

I don't remember my exact thoughts about him at the time (other than displeasure over an opponent who made my team look foolish), but he was exactly the sort that I often think, "he should consider coaching."

Have no clue though to his people skills.
sturf
Journeyman

I wanted a more experienced WR's coach given the need at the WR position, but I feel okay about it now that they got Kevin Gilbride as the TE coach who has coached WR's as well for the Giants. I would assume they will work closely together.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:Maybe he can teach Kevin White how to not break any bones.
Or perhaps even a pro route
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

If he can teach Kevin White how to run routes like an NFL WR, I'll do backflips.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

Is White really that good of a fit for the KC style offense? I know they've always had smaller/quicker guys.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Is White really that good of a fit for the KC style offense? I know they've always had smaller/quicker guys.
I think he can be utilized in a Jeremy Maclin role, but really I am expecting a ton of bubble and tunnel screens for him. People will argue that we shouldn't because he'll get hit, but really that is how he made his money in college. He doesn't have to run crisp routes, all he has to do is run after the catch, which is an area where he is(was?) elite.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Is White really that good of a fit for the KC style offense? I know they've always had smaller/quicker guys.

White is mostly a good fit for a league that involves bubble wrap

I can see the new guys wanting to give him his shot, but I have little hope he will be up to the challenge ... if he is even in the league by the time 2019 rolls around I will be shocked
George Carlin
Bad Flanders
MVP

Boris13c wrote:

White is mostly a good fit for a league that involves bubble wrap

I can see the new guys wanting to give him his shot, but I have little hope he will be up to the challenge ... if he is even in the league by the time 2019 rolls around I will be shocked
Not even sure of that! His first major injury was just from running! LOL

And as for Furrey's people skills. He won "good guy" awards (whatever that means) and was nominated for Walter Payton man of the year... guessing they don't give that stuff out to a-holes.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Furrey was the Lions version of Tom Waddle ... Waddle never had a 1,000 yard season but their career stats are comparable -

www.nfl.com/player/mikefurrey/2504036/profile

www.nfl.com/player/tomwaddle/2503482/careerstats

both were good character guys, lightly regarded, but hard working and made the most of their chances and limited abilities

Furrey went into coaching, and Waddle took the easier post player route to TV

but as you point out, a guy with limited skills putting up Pro Bowl numbers even for 1 season is a testament o his work ethic and technique
Last edited by Boris13c on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

In the four verticals concept, which I expect to see some of next year, he's going to be great at the 'X' and running the fly with the comeback on the stem, or the seam route. Anything that forces him to change direction as little as possible, and to use his big body to shield a smaller defender. I could also see him running the drag under the play, when the LB's clear out.
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
In the four verticals concept, which I expect to see some of next year, he's going to be great at the 'X' and running the fly with the comeback on the stem, or the seam route. Anything that forces him to change direction as little as possible, and to use his big body to shield a smaller defender. I could also see him running the drag under the play, when the LB's clear out.
I am somewhat amazed that people are talking about "next year" for Kevin White. As if it's a given he'll even have a "next year".

Between getting hurt in camp, pre-season... not making the final roster. I am far from sold on him being around for regular season Bears football next year.
wab
Mod

He's owed too much money to not be on the roster. Beyond that, I'm not counting on him.
malk
Head Coach

I'm pulling for the kid. It's easy, frankly boring, to be all super pragmatic, he'll just get injured. Yawn.

If someone is telling me he's a good fit for the scheme, I'm interested, tell me more.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I'm pulling for the kid. It's easy, frankly boring, to be all super pragmatic, he'll just get injured. Yawn.

If someone is telling me he's a good fit for the scheme, I'm interested, tell me more.
I'm with ya... I'm shifting gears this season and I'm going to root for him to succeed. Which is not to say I didn't want him to do well in the past, I just hated the pick and through today it's proven to be warranted.

BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
I am somewhat amazed that people are talking about "next year" for Kevin White. As if it's a given he'll even have a "next year".

Between getting hurt in camp, pre-season... not making the final roster. I am far from sold on him being around for regular season Bears football next year.
I’d say he’s pretty close to a lock to make the roster if he survives camp physically. His contract is 100% guaranteed. After that though, I think he’s done.
Hematite
Player of the Month

With all the hopium going around with this franchise currently, why can't we assume he'll break out next year for a pro bowl season? I'm kidding...
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Look. The kid has been through a rash of injuries. Many players have come back and had productive careers after shaking the injury bug. My one concern has always been, that he got stress fractures from running too much. Last time I checked...that's what receivers do. Stress fractures can also be a systemic bone density issue, or a lack of calcium issue. Which means that, he may never shake this. He was a raw product to begin with, and needed the last couple of years to polish his craft, and never really got it. So even if he can stay healthy this year, he's only 6-8 games into his professional career, after three seasons.

I'm pulling for the kid, but I would hang my hope elsewhere.