S&C coach gone

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

According to Briggs. Been saying he needed to go for awhile now. Jason George gone.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Thank. Fucking. GOD.

So who's the target? Nagy's old guy from when he was in the AFL?
Richie
MVP

Maybe Brady's voodoo doctor is looking for a full-time team gig?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Whomever they get, bring an exorcist along as well.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

GSH
MVP

Good.

Sage Halas Hall too, just to be sure.

A huntsman to track and kill the soldier field turf monster up next.
docc
Head Coach

Jason George

Yes..he injured his calf and shin cleaning out his locker..then pulled a muscle and bad hammy sprain from reading his termination papers..

He wanted to go on IR..until he was advised to just leave..
Ormazd
MVP

You mean they actually had one?
mshu7
Pro Bowler

This was something I was looking forward to, for sure. I knew they couldn't let this guy stick around any longer. Not with the crazy amounts of injuries they've had since he came on board with Fox.

If I were the Bears, I'd get on the phone with Rusty Jones and try to talk him out of retirement and back into the Bears S & C job.
-Shu
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I doubt Jones is coming back, but the Lovie Bears did respect that dude.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Two years.

TWO YEARS of 'just bad luck' with unbelievable numbers of injuries to our players??!

No way. I'm not buying that BS.

Jason George, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out to the walk through the parking lot.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I doubt Jones is coming back, but the Lovie Bears did respect that dude.
Even if they could get Rusty to come back and mentor/teach S&C to a new coach, that would be enough.
wab
Mod

I think the Bears injuries had more to do with Fox and his old school practice routines than the S&C coach. It's like no one remembers all the missed tackles and "Camp Lovie" if they would only hit in practice stuff.

There's a middle ground to practicing. It doesn't have to be Fox's all hitting all the time or Lovie's all walk-through all the time.
G08
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:This was something I was looking forward to, for sure. I knew they couldn't let this guy stick around any longer. Not with the crazy amounts of injuries they've had since he came on board with Fox.

If I were the Bears, I'd get on the phone with Rusty Jones and try to talk him out of retirement and back into the Bears S & C job.
Seriously. I'd hand him a blank check and beg him to save us. Rusty was a God!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The biggest thing with strength and conditioning is that we need a widely eclectic team to put out programs loosely tailored to each position and re-focused to tailor to each player. One size does not fit all in the world of S&C as everyone is different from genetics to nutritional needs to plateau marks to rest time needed to strength training vs power lifting to plyometrics vs simple speed training.

There is so much out there and these athletes are literally pioneers in how much they can push a body to do, that we need elite S&C coaches/doctors to keep them from going over the razors edge into injury
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:Maybe Brady's voodoo doctor is looking for a full-time team gig?
GSH
MVP

by the end of the 16-17 season didnt we have something like 21 players on IR? so crazy if i remember that right
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Yes I think 21 that year and like 17 this year? Crazy amount
Bad Flanders
MVP

George?!?!? I thought it was Dr. Nick!!!!
Wounded Bear
MVP

Jason George? The actor who played Dr. Ben Warren on Grey's Anatomy?

I mean, sure, he's a decent enough actor, but to have him as the team's strength and conditioning coach, that was always destined for failure.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Middleguard
MVP

ramentaschen wrote:Two years.
TWO YEARS of 'just bad luck' with unbelievable numbers of injuries to our players??!
Go back a bit. I seem to recall Fox' first year was about as bad injury-wise as his last.
But go back further. Wasn't the excuse that all the Mel Tucker apologists gave for his bad defenses the huge number of injuries they sustained?
I think the exorcist suggestion I read might have as much merit as changing the staff (or changing the fields?)
My best suggestion: ask Fangio to grab the trainers from his 2012 49's team. That year he had 9 defensive players who started 16 games!
Bad Flanders
MVP

To get real for a minute. If someone likes a coach but the team sucks, they always point out the injuries. A bunch of us knew how crappy Tucker was pretty quickly into his time here but there was also a lot of buzz when he came in about what a hot young and up-coming coach he was (kind of like what we have now!). That was absolutely a case of some people just not wanting to jump the gun on the guy and hoping for the best. I get that even though I was pretty opposed to the guy from the get go.

As far as injuries go, show me a team in the Superbowl that hasn't had some pretty significant set backs that year, that hasn't lost key starters for several games. By the end of any year, every team is missing at least one key starter per game, even the good ones.

Look at the Vikings this year, they are out the QB they started the year with (although some would argue their backup is an upgrade) and they are out a really good young running back. I don't even know that much about them, they are probably out much better players too! And the Eagles lost Wentz.

And the Jags... well... their offense would be better off if every one of their qb's miss the plane for the next game... so they don't count! :)
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Vikings have 6 people on IR and only 2 are starters to my knowledge with Cook and Floyd.
Eagles have 12 people. Outside of Wentz Sproles and Peters I'm not sure if others start or not.

We have how many starters on IR? Long, Floyd, Freeman, Young, White, Meredith, Miller, McPhee, Unrein and the first backups too. That's almost half our starters. That's just crazy.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I gotcha for sure, we've had a bad run, I'm not arguing for them to keep it the way it was at all.

I just hate the injury argument to cover up bad coaching. When the injury argument comes out; it's just about as close to the start of the downhill slide for a coach as you can get IMO.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Fox had a history of bad injury runs and not just here. The Panthers being a MASH unit under his tenure was his downfall there. Even his first year at Denver was a riddled with injuries for at least the first half of that season. Fox brought in that S&C staff. I'm glad they are gone just for the bad karma they had.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox