Bears hire Toub!

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@BradBiggs
A Toub is returning to the #Bears. Matt Nagy expected to hire Shane Toub, the son of Dave Toub and a graduate assistant for Lovie Smith at U of I, as an offensive quality control assistant.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

What do they do out of curiosity. I'm happy for him though.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Break down future opponents, maybe a few weeks ahead. Gather stats on formations they will face, percentages of the time. They, some probably do film work. I imagine as they get familiar with things other assts have them help. This is the ground floor asst coach.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

lots of film, stats and tendencies, both for the team and opponents
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Middleguard
MVP

ground floor is right. chief gofer is also a part of the job.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

As stupid as this may sound on the surface. This is a really good sign. Why because obviously Dave Toub respects what Nagy and Pace are doing here. Toub is pretty well respected around the league. I don't think he would let, the fruit of his loins, go to a dumpster fire
Middleguard
MVP

Not stupid at all. I think you're right. And as an old guy, I kinda like this trend of renewing old acquaintances with a modern twist.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Deadspin just did a small article yesterday on nepotism in football hiring. Probably came out the same time the Bears announced this hire.
UOK
Site Admin

YOGABBA wrote:Deadspin just did a small article yesterday on nepotism in football hiring. Probably came out the same time the Bears announced this hire.
I believe it was targeting Norv Turner hiring his entire family tree upon joining the Panthers.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Actually, it was about Charlie Weis' 24 year old son now being the OC of FAU, which is coached by Lane Kiffin. Lane, obviously the son of Monte Kiffin, and Lane's brother Chris Kiffin is currently the DC of the team.

Shane Toub might turn out to be the next great coaching mind in the NFL, but this is laughable.
Hematite
Player of the Month

YOGABBA wrote:Actually, it was about Charlie Weis' 24 year old son now being the OC of FAU, which is coached by Lane Kiffin. Lane, obviously the son of Monte Kiffin, and Lane's brother Chris Kiffin is currently the DC of the team.

Shane Toub might turn out to be the next great coaching mind in the NFL, but this is laughable.
Family tradition is strong in many employment areas. I worked in a prison for a while and the amount of father/son tandems was crazy. These kids have been around coaching for their whole lives and now want to get into the business. To me, it makes sense. I'm sure there's some elbow rubbing, but its not like Toub was hired off the street for a prominent coaching position with this staff.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Hematite,

First off, let me apologize for responding this way. The mods have restricted much of my access, and the formatting when I try to quote people is always off - so I find this to be the best way.

Second, yes, I fully understand the family tradition aspect of football coaching. I understand the family tradition in a lot of those other employment areas. All one has to do is work in public education in the suburbs to see it.

Finally, why I find it laughable stems from discussions I've heard and read recently regarding the Rooney Rule. Well, isn't the hiring of Shane Toub exactly why the Rooney Rule is there in the first place? Now, I realize the Rooney Rule affect the hiring of head coaches, but an issue here is access. Hiring Shane Toub simply because his father is a STC in the NFL already limits the access of other young coaches who might have sharper minds. I'm not just talking about minority candidates as well. There could be some former D3 player working in the Texans film room right now who is much better suited for this job, but because his last name isn't Toub, he has to eat shit for years before he gets a break like this.

That's all I'm saying. Again, Shane might be great, but let's not pretend that his resume is as impressive as his last name.
Hematite
Player of the Month

YOGABBA wrote:Hematite,

First off, let me apologize for responding this way. The mods have restricted much of my access, and the formatting when I try to quote people is always off - so I find this to be the best way.

Second, yes, I fully understand the family tradition aspect of football coaching. I understand the family tradition in a lot of those other employment areas. All one has to do is work in public education in the suburbs to see it.

Finally, why I find it laughable stems from discussions I've heard and read recently regarding the Rooney Rule. Well, isn't the hiring of Shane Toub exactly why the Rooney Rule is there in the first place? Now, I realize the Rooney Rule affect the hiring of head coaches, but an issue here is access. Hiring Shane Toub simply because his father is a STC in the NFL already limits the access of other young coaches who might have sharper minds. I'm not just talking about minority candidates as well. There could be some former D3 player working in the Texans film room right now who is much better suited for this job, but because his last name isn't Toub, he has to eat shit for years before he gets a break like this.

That's all I'm saying. Again, Shane might be great, but let's not pretend that his resume is as impressive as his last name.
I agree. As they say....Its who you know!