The Ghost of John Fox...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

That sideline throw to Cole was as accurate as any pass in football this season. By any QB.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:That sideline throw to Cole was as accurate as any pass in football this season. By any QB.
Sure, but that one throw is a very small sample size. A lot of Bortles throws were behind the target.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I thought he balled out for the first three quarters...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:That sideline throw to Cole was as accurate as any pass in football this season. By any QB.
Sure, but that one throw is a very small sample size. A lot of Bortles throws were behind the target.
yeah, i cant stand for this hyperbole. he did not generally throw an accurate ball. for him, his decision making was above average for most of the game, but so few of his throws are on the mark.
wab
Mod

Bortles wasn’t the reason they lost, but whatever. I get it’s cool to listen to the TV folks tell you how terrible he is.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lol holy shit
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:It looked to me not like Bortles was "very" accurate. But accurate enough. From where I sit, it's his processing and decision making that has been really good in the playoffs.
If he was “very” accurate he wouldn’t have consistently hit crossers on the back shoulder all game. But he was pretty decent.

Compared to my expectations of him he was very accurate, however.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Bortles wasn’t the reason they lost, but whatever. I get it’s cool to listen to the TV folks tell you how terrible he is.
This.

Brady WON that game. Bortles didn't lose it. The Jags played good enough to win, but they went up against the Pats and the GOAT. No different than how during the Jordan years, the Knicks, Jazz, Sonics etc. etc. played good enough to win against any other team except for the one with the GOAT on it.
malk
Head Coach

All I care about is him getting a massive contract from the Jaguars. PAY THE MAN!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Jaguars lost because they panicked and Belichick/Brady didn't. Jacksonville had NO experience being in an AFC conference game, and the Pats have gone for the last 37 years in a row, or something like that. Jacksonville played three and a half quarters of football, and New England player four.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Bortles wasn’t the reason they lost, but whatever. I get it’s cool to listen to the TV folks tell you how terrible he is.
How about if we just agree to disagree instead of projecting stuff we never said onto us or making assumptions that you don't know apply to our thinking?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

seriously though... where did anyone say that bortles was the reason the jags lost? why throw out this strawman? this isnt CCS, you arent some shitty teenage poster.
wab
Mod

I said Bortles wasn't the reason they lost. I wasn't implying that someone said he was. I was making a factual statement, because he wasn't. Did I follow up said factual statement with a snarky (albeit unnecessary) remark...yeah.

Shitting on Bortles seems to be the neat new thing in the football world and I'm not sure I understand why. He's never going to be an MVP candidate, but you could seriously do a lot worse at QB.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I was actually impressed with his game. He "managed" it quite well. If anyone told me he would have thrown for 293 at a 64% clip and no ints, I would have told that person they need to put down the pipe. Sure he missed some passes, but Brady did as well. I have never been a Bortles fan, but he showed me a little on Sunday.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I said Bortles wasn't the reason they lost. I wasn't implying that someone said he was. I was making a factual statement, because he wasn't. Did I follow up said factual statement with a snarky remark...yeah.

Wounded Bear
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
yeah, i cant stand for this hyperbole. he did not generally throw an accurate ball. for him, his decision making was above average for most of the game, but so few of his throws are on the mark.
Does this apply to the hyperbole of how shitty he was playing? I mean, he did have a 98.5 QB rating.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Does this apply to the hyperbole of how shitty he was playing? I mean, he did have a 98.5 QB rating.
Man, jeez, i think what most of us are saying is that bortles had a really good game for bortles, but his deficiencies still look very obvious. His receivers made a bunch of great adjustments to catch his balls and YAC absolutely suffered because of it.

No one is saying he played like shit! Yeesh, this isnt binary.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

and yet again, another thread goes off the rails and way off topic, because I do not recall John Fox coaching Blake Bortles at any time

but hey - you crack addled monkeys can continue to have at it

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Man, jeez, i think what most of us are saying is that bortles had a really good game for bortles, but his deficiencies still look very obvious. His receivers made a bunch of great adjustments to catch his balls and YAC absolutely suffered because of it.

No one is saying he played like shit! Yeesh, this isnt binary.
Alright, my bad...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:I said Bortles wasn't the reason they lost. I wasn't implying that someone said he was. I was making a factual statement, because he wasn't. Did I follow up said factual statement with a snarky (albeit unnecessary) remark...yeah.

Shitting on Bortles seems to be the neat new thing in the football world and I'm not sure I understand why. He's never going to be an MVP candidate, but you could seriously do a lot worse at QB.

I agree, Bortles played a very good season. I have zero problems with the term game manager and don't view that term as derogatory. He played within the system all year and QBed his team 1 game shy of the super bowl. With that defense and run game, they don't need much more out of their QB:
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Wounded Bear
MVP

Boris13c wrote:and yet again, another thread goes off the rails and way off topic, because I do not recall John Fox coaching Blake Bortles at any time

But, but, but this thread was never really about John Fox. It was about how the Jags choked in the second half of the game.

Back on topic, the Jags fucked up because both the offensive and defensive coordinators froze up and went into a prevent offense and a prevent defense.

I was talking to a buddy of mine during the halftime of that game on Sunday and I told him that if I was Doug Marrone, my halftime speech to the team would be, "Remember Atlanta!" But I was wrong in saying that because that halftime speech shouldn't have been made to the players, but to the coaches, and more specifically, the offensive and defensive coordinators.

One last thing, I hated Mike Martz as a coach for the most part, but I did admire one thing about him when he was at St. Louis - the dude attacked, attacked, attacked. He lived by the sword and died by the sword and made no apologies about it. The Jags would have been served well if they chose to follow that philosophy last Sunday.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
Boris13c wrote:and yet again, another thread goes off the rails and way off topic, because I do not recall John Fox coaching Blake Bortles at any time

But, but, but this thread was never really about John Fox. It was about how the Jags choked in the second half of the game.
ah I get it ... John Fox's name was used in vain just so more talk about the Jags screwing the pooch could be in this forum rather than the NFL Forum

gotcha

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Blake Bortles slept with my wife
Wounded Bear
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:Blake Bortles slept with my wife
Yeah, but from what I understand, he bought her some skittles and some mustache wax afterwards, so, you know, that's pretty classy.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Wounded Bear wrote:

Back on topic, the Jags fucked up because both the offensive and defensive coordinators froze up and went into a prevent offense and a prevent defense.

I was talking to a buddy of mine during the halftime of that game on Sunday and I told him that if I was Doug Marrone, my halftime speech to the team would be, "Remember Atlanta!" But I was wrong in saying that because that halftime speech shouldn't have been made to the players, but to the coaches, and more specifically, the offensive and defensive coordinators.

One last thing, I hated Mike Martz as a coach for the most part, but I did admire one thing about him when he was at St. Louis - the dude attacked, attacked, attacked. He lived by the sword and died by the sword and made no apologies about it. The Jags would have been served well if they chose to follow that philosophy last Sunday.
Agreed. Bortles played well enough. The issue was they went Falcons and stopped doing everything that made them successful through 2.5 quarters. The reason they beat Pittsburgh was they kept attacking, the reason they lost to New England was they didnt.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers