Free Agency will be better for us this time around

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's why:

1. We have a new head coach. With the exception of Biscuit, the coach isn't invested in any of our current players. This year's new players will be the new coach's guys instead of brought in to supplement the old coach's favs.

2. Our answer at QB is already here. Last year entering FA, nobody had any idea what we were going to do with the QB position. And when we signed Mike Glennon right away, FAs were going... Really? That's it??? Trubisky has already shown development with plenty of room to grow. And with creative offensive coaches on board to help move him forward--unlike John freaking Fox--the reasonable expectation is that he will be even better in 2018. Maybe much better.

3. Vic Fangio is back. It's pretty clear that changes were needed in Chicago. But the defense was ranked in the top 10 with room to grow further and led by a top notch coach. We changed what needed changed and left alone what was already just fine. This will be evident to prospective new adds.

4. Wentz and Goff. The whole world saw those two 2nd year guys go crazy this year and lead their teams from rags to the playoffs. The Bears are currently positioned much like the Rams and Eagles were in 2016 to make a big leap forward.

5. Attack mode. Coaches Nagy and Helfrich are known for spreading things out and attacking the opponent. That's certainly more appealing than John Fox and his conservative style. This should be particularly appealing to younger players not too far removed from the collegiate spread offenses that are pretty popular.

6. We weren't 3-13. Instead, we won 5 games and two of those were against playoff teams. The arrow was pointed downward last year. It's pointing upward now and free agents will be more likely to jump on that bus.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

The only flaw in all this, is that FA is pretty weak this year.
G08
Hall of Famer

There are some upgrades out there for us depending upon the direction we want to take.

It wouldn't shock me to see us sign 2 corners, an OL, and a WR or two.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I don't expect them to be too aggressive this year in FA. Next year is more likely as they continue to build through the draft.

FA is often fools gold unless you get really good deals. Most the high profile, high money deals rarely work out.
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:I don't expect them to be too aggressive this year in FA. Next year is more likely as they continue to build through the draft.

FA is often fools gold unless you get really good deals. Most the high profile, high money deals rarely work out.
The good news is I really don't think we need a ton. We need depth on both lines and probably linebacker.

At the end of the day if we come out of the draft and FA with a new starting edge rusher, starting WR and a #3ish WR, I think the Bears are in business. None of them need to be superstars, though that would obviously be best. But good starter level players. Then it's about bringing back key in house free agents and adding some depth.
Richie
MVP

I don't think we make a big splash, but I think we do put together a nice collection of signings. Then, when we finally put a promising season together. That's when Pace turns into an aggressor in FA. Which is what I think free agency is for. Not building your team's base, but rather filling voids, adding depth and then giving that team the final push over the top from "competitive" to "contender".

I agree that FA's will be more likely to come here now. Fangio has a great reputation. This defense made some noise this past year, and most in the league seem to have a promising view of Trubisky.

I think there's a consensus around the league, for the first time in a while. That our arrow is pointing up. The past few years, still riding the final years of the Cutler contract... then having absolutely no clear-cut QB... signing Glennon. There was nothing exciting about us. The 2015-17 Chicago Bears were a very tough sell to a FA. I don't have any delusions that we're on of the most exciting teams. However, I think public perception of us is changing a bit.
Richie
MVP

Also, I'm really ready for this off-season to get underway. Excited to see what we're going to do. Looking forward to this one, more than I have in a long-time.

I'm over the 2017 season. Play the SB, and let's move on already. Better days lay ahead in front of us.

With positive vibes surrounding both baseball teams in Chicago, along with Bears free agency/draft period. The spring should actually be a fun time for Chicago sports fans.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm hoping the FA signings are on offense. WR and OL. We need a legit #1 WR. The offense needs to be good NOW and the best way to do that is coaching (that's handled hopefully) and FAs.

The draft should be BPA on day 1 but I'd err on the side of defense where that unit is already good or pretty good, but we need some players.
malk
Head Coach

Perhaps surprisingly after coming off a 5-11 season, I'm happy with a lot of our roster. Free agency will be interesting for me largely down to the amount of cap space we have compared to the holes we can fill. In brief:

QB - fine.
TE - fine with Shaheen as #1, maybe flip Sims for another option (or just cut).
RB - fine.
WR - Large need for #1 interesting questions for the rest of the slots...
OL - all over the place! Fine bar for health at guard and they're too expensive to get another high priced player in to support the spot.

DL - fine, replacing/resigning/improving on Unrein would be nice but not splashy.
ILB - depth need or improve from Kwiatkoski.
OLB - Large need for another pass rusher.
CB - We don't have any starters unless Fuller and Amukamara sign.
S - fine.

So the only spots we have a pressing need for are WR, OLB and CB. Probably the most expensive positions outside of QB. Pace doesn't have a history of signing free agents to market making deals and I don't think that changes. That said, I think he identifies his top receiver and goes hard after him. CB we resign our own. OLB we add a complimentary piece, maybe take a flier on a middling contract with some upside, and that remains our top need.

Offensive line remains a question mark but drafting a new player makes a lot of sense with the amount already tied up on the line.

After that there are depth upgrades but I'm not a big fan of long term deals unless they're players with potential to break out. Your first line depth should be players on rookie deals and the rest I'd rather see from UDFAs and guys on veteran exception deals who can do a job in the short term.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

My feeling is that they will try and go after one FA WR, bring Wright and Inman back, and then pick-up a solid WR in the draft. Then with White and Meredith, that makes a good young corps.

Regarding the OL, they need a couple. And that is IF Long can come back, and Sitton hasn't fallen off a cliff. With Harry Hiestand here, we will get the skinny on the two top OL prospects from ND. I wouldn't be surprised if we take one. You might be able to go Leno - Whitehair - Grasu - Rookie - Long.

Yes this will stir up the Long to T debate again, but I think it will get him out of the scrum in the middle, and out on the edge, where we might be able to increase his durability.
malk
Head Coach

Wab has already mentioned that Massie might be a good fit for this scheme, he's been pretty solid for a little while now, to the point where I'd be surprised to see him go. I certainly don't see them cutting him and hoping that Long is both fit and able to transition over. My guess is:

Leno - Sitton - Whitehair - Long - Massie.

In camp get Grasu reps at centre to see if he's worth a damn with a great oline coach. Also get Whitehair reps at guard so he's ready for the inevitable switching due to injury.

I don't hate the idea of Long to RT to mitigate his injuries but don't see how it could be done this year.

At receiver, Meredith is a must and I'd like to see Inman back. Wright is down to cost but continuity for Trubisky is also important. I also want Meredith as an elite slot receiver and I don't like Wright anywhere else.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

wab
Mod

I think Massie is a cut IF they want to move Long back there, and if the feel like Massie is making more than he's worth.

Keep in mind, Heistand is responsible for making that ND line ridiculously good, so he can quite possibly do the same for the Bears without taking one of the guys from ND.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think Massie is a cut IF they want to move Long back there, and if the feel like Massie is making more than he's worth.

Keep in mind, Heistand is responsible for making that ND line ridiculously good, so he can quite possibly do the same for the Bears without taking one of the guys from ND.
That's fine, and very possible. But if you have the opportunity to fill a need, while getting one of the best OG or OT prospects of the last several years, I think you do it. I would be very happy if they took Nelson or McGlinchey at #8.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Based on the information we've seen before about the $60-80M in cap space we're going to have once Glennon and several others (McPhee? Cooper? Demps? Freeman? ... ) are cut loose, I think we're going to be major players in FA, even beyond needing to fill 2 starting CB spots. To some extent we have to be with the minimums involved. To say that we're not going to be big FA players sounds right due to past history. But with our amount of cap space along with a number of needs and a new coach, I think the draft isn't the only place where we're going to remake our team this offseason. We could even see an unexpected big move like OT or DL.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:Based on the information we've seen before about the $60-80M in cap space we're going to have once Glennon and several others (McPhee? Cooper? Demps? Freeman? ... ) are cut loose, I think we're going to be major players in FA, even beyond needing to fill 2 starting CB spots. To some extent we have to be with the minimums involved. To say that we're not going to be big FA players sounds right due to past history. But with our amount of cap space along with a number of needs and a new coach, I think the draft isn't the only place where we're going to remake our team this offseason. We could even see an unexpected big move like OT or DL.
The problem with this is that it's not expected to be a great FA. So you run the risk of over paying for guys that might not be worth the money, just so you can hit the minimums.

That's why I'd rather overpay for homegrown talent.
Funkster
MVP

Mikefive wrote:Based on the information we've seen before about the $60-80M in cap space we're going to have once Glennon and several others (McPhee? Cooper? Demps? Freeman? ... ) are cut loose, I think we're going to be major players in FA, even beyond needing to fill 2 starting CB spots. To some extent we have to be with the minimums involved. To say that we're not going to be big FA players sounds right due to past history. But with our amount of cap space along with a number of needs and a new coach, I think the draft isn't the only place where we're going to remake our team this offseason. We could even see an unexpected big move like OT or DL.

What are we defining as "big FA players". Trying to fill multiple positions in FA like the eagles of a few years ago? Or offering top money to a spacific player? The Bears need a pass rusher, point blank. A solid edge pass rusher mixed with Hicks would turn this defense from good to scary. I can see Pace put a very competitive offer on the table to a player like Ansah.

What ever the reasoning, one thing is certain, Pace has to be better during FA. From the moves he's made all the way down to a new state of the art training facility, he knows he has to land the players high on their list. It's nice to have someone that won't just sit stagnant and expect things to get better, he is putting in the work to make them better. It definitely feels like things are finally changing and I believe that started with the hiring of Pace.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
The problem with this is that it's not expected to be a great FA. So you run the risk of over paying for guys that might not be worth the money, just so you can hit the minimums.

But who would you be overpaying for? Yes, I'd pay up to bring back both CBs and RFAs Callahan and Meredith. But nobody else is going to get significant $$$. Is somebody going to pay $5M/year for Mitch Unrein, Christian Jones, Lamarr Houston, Kendall Wright or Dontrelle Inman?

I'd certainly bring some of those guys back. But does that make your team better?

I get your point and it's certainly a heady consideration. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to improve the team and how to manage the most cap space we've ever had.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

But who would you be overpaying for? Yes, I'd pay up to bring back both CBs and RFAs Callahan and Meredith. But nobody else is going to get significant $$$. Is somebody going to pay $5M/year for Mitch Unrein, Christian Jones, Lamarr Houston, Kendall Wright or Dontrelle Inman?

I'd certainly bring some of those guys back. But does that make your team better?

I get your point and it's certainly a heady consideration. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to improve the team and how to manage the most cap space we've ever had.
The past has to be thrown out. This is the turning point in Ryan Pace's plan to rebuild the team. Any FA moves that he has made in the past, cannot be evidence of future strategy. That being said, Pace has his QB, his coach, and his coach has a good staff. Now Pace will start to be more aggressive in FA, and pick up players that can have a significant impact on the ability of the team. If you think we ended up with a lot of cap space this year out of coincidence, you're fooling yourself. That's why I said that this year will be a much better indication of Pace's ability to scout and land quality FA's.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

I don't have much to quibble with mikefive's assessment of the state of the team. But, I also agree with wab's statement of there not being a lot in FA this year. I would say had that Ryan Pace, with the exception of giraffes, goes more for bargains in FA. I don't disagree with that strategy as FA is where you usually overpay for impact players. I still see doing that this year. I would like to him keep forgoing short term solutions and continue trying to build through the draft.

As to Mike's assessment of Fangio's D, I would like to throw out a question. Do you think we were top ten because we were mostly playing from behind and team's were letting off on the gas and doing more clock chewing? Or, do you think we were only a top ten and not a top five because we were playing from behind and the D could not pin it's ears back and take chances?

I would also like to throw out there, what do we do about placekicker? I think we still need to upgrade there.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

That risk is real, but we have to do something. With the money we'll have there's no reason why we can't land either Landry or Watkins and a key OL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:As to Mike's assessment of Fangio's D, I would like to throw out a question. Do you think we were top ten because we were mostly playing from behind and team's were letting off on the gas and doing more clock chewing? Or, do you think we were only a top ten and not a top five because we were playing from behind and the D could not pin it's ears back and take chances?

I would also like to throw out there, what do we do about placekicker? I think we still need to upgrade there.
I hadn't thought much about the validity of our top 10 defense. But I'd say we didn't spend an overbearing amount of time being blown out. So I'd say it's reasonably legit.

PK is a fair question. If it's me, I'm keeping a close eye on Cairo Santos to see how he's coming along. And if that doesn't work out, there's always R6 of the draft.

wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:

That risk is real, but we have to do something. With the money we'll have there's no reason why we can't land either Landry or Watkins and a key OL.
That's assuming those guys make it to FA. That's the problem, the good players probably won't hit FA. Landry might...if the Fins are fed up with him, but if that was the case they could have gotten a pick for him rather than let him walk away for nothing in the offseason.

Watkins is one of the players that makes that STL passing game hum. I can't see them just letting him walk out the door on a one year rental after trading for him. Allen Robinson is coming of pretty much the same injury Meredith is. So there's a risk there. It's a dicey WR market.

OL isn't much better. Greg Robinson? DJ Fluker? Zach Fulton? Luke Joeckel? Our very own Tom Compton? Jack Mewhort (pending health)?

On the other hand, if you need a veteran QB, it's a pretty good year for them. But yeah, the Bears don't.
malk
Head Coach

I'm not sure the first season with a new head coach is the best time to be getting splashy in free agency so, once I calm down after the first week or so, I won't be despondent if we don't plug all of our gaps with exciting talent but only keep hold of our key free agents.

Yes wide receiver is a need but if we started the season with our new improved coaches and scheme, year 2 improvements for Trubisky, Shaheen and Cohen, then Inman, Meredith and Wright (and a wildcard White) as our main receivers... Well I wouldn't be licking my lips at our dazzling offence but that would still be much improved from what we had for most of this year.

Plus we absolutely will bring in someone, even if it isn't one of the tier 1(a) guys.

We all want more pass rush but we were 7th in sacks this year and 6th in sack % despite the 6 games missed by Floyd and Houston only appearing in 5 games for us (ending up 4th on our sack list). Bring back Houston, Acho, Unrein (I'd try to keep McPhee at an appropriate rate) along with Fuller and Amukamara and we'll remain a solid defence with hope from the draft and players like Robertson-Harris.

I was fairly optimistic at the start of this season as I thought we weren't that far off. I still think that injuries prevented us from being an 8-8 team and, in a sense, we were lucky they came as they ensured what appears to be a pretty good changing of the guard for our coaching staff.

Richie
MVP

staleystarch wrote:I don't have much to quibble with mikefive's assessment of the state of the team. But, I also agree with wab's statement of there not being a lot in FA this year. I would say had that Ryan Pace, with the exception of giraffes, goes more for bargains in FA. I don't disagree with that strategy as FA is where you usually overpay for impact players. I still see doing that this year. I would like to him keep forgoing short term solutions and continue trying to build through the draft.

As to Mike's assessment of Fangio's D, I would like to throw out a question. Do you think we were top ten because we were mostly playing from behind and team's were letting off on the gas and doing more clock chewing? Or, do you think we were only a top ten and not a top five because we were playing from behind and the D could not pin it's ears back and take chances?

Cairo Santos had been one of the best kickers in football for his first few years in the league, prior to that injury early in the season.

He's also just 26. I'd like to see him be our kicker for the long-haul.

As far as the D. 6 of our 11 losses came down to the final possession. I think you're overstating how much the opposition was "letting up". We were around the top 5 for a chunk of the season. B

It's not like we're just top 10 overall in yardage either. Every single category, we were top 10. Except for Rush D, where we fell to 11th when Murray had a big day the final week.

PPG allowed: 9th
YPG: 10th
Pass YPG: 7th
Rush YPG: 11th
Yards per play: 10th
1st downs per play: 11th
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Richie wrote:
staleystarch wrote:I don't have much to quibble with mikefive's assessment of the state of the team. But, I also agree with wab's statement of there not being a lot in FA this year. I would say had that Ryan Pace, with the exception of giraffes, goes more for bargains in FA. I don't disagree with that strategy as FA is where you usually overpay for impact players. I still see doing that this year. I would like to him keep forgoing short term solutions and continue trying to build through the draft.

Cairo Santos had been one of the best kickers in football for his first few years in the league, prior to that injury early in the season.

He's also just 26. I'd like to see him be our kicker for the long-haul.

As far as the D. 6 of our 11 losses came down to the final possession. I think you're overstating how much the opposition was "letting up". We were around the top 5 for a chunk of the season. B

It's not like we're just top 10 overall in yardage either. Every single category, we were top 10. Except for Rush D, where we fell to 11th when Murray had a big day the final week.

PPG allowed: 9th
YPG: 10th
Pass YPG: 7th
Rush YPG: 11th
Yards per play: 10th
1st downs per play: 11th
Actually on D I am playing devil's advocate. In reality I think they are in the second category I put down. If that D could have played with a lead more and our offense could reliably put even an average amount of points on the board we could take more chances on D (pinning our ears back). I just don't like to get caught up in my own bubble so I like to try to punch holes in it.

Both you and mike may be right about Santos. At the same time I would like to see some competition at pk before the next regular season starts.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
sturf
Journeyman

I think Pace is willing to chase the high-end of the market because he has a pretty good idea now what he got out of his 1st three draft classes and has his QB and coaching staff in place, but there doesn't seem to be the right high end guys to spend money on this year. If he does I think it will be on a OLB, rather than a WR. White's salary is guaranteed, re-sign Meredith, and bring in at least 4 new guys in FA and have an open competition, hopefully that open competition attracts some guys.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I'm not sure the first season with a new head coach is the best time to be getting splashy in free agency so, once I calm down after the first week or so, I won't be despondent if we don't plug all of our gaps with exciting talent but only keep hold of our key free agents.

Yes wide receiver is a need but if we started the season with our new improved coaches and scheme, year 2 improvements for Trubisky, Shaheen and Cohen, then Inman, Meredith and Wright (and a wildcard White) as our main receivers... Well I wouldn't be licking my lips at our dazzling offence but that would still be much improved from what we had for most of this year.

Plus we absolutely will bring in someone, even if it isn't one of the tier 1(a) guys.

We all want more pass rush but we were 7th in sacks this year and 6th in sack % despite the 6 games missed by Floyd and Houston only appearing in 5 games for us (ending up 4th on our sack list). Bring back Houston, Acho, Unrein (I'd try to keep McPhee at an appropriate rate) along with Fuller and Amukamara and we'll remain a solid defence with hope from the draft and players like Robertson-Harris.

I was fairly optimistic at the start of this season as I thought we weren't that far off. I still think that injuries prevented us from being an 8-8 team and, in a sense, we were lucky they came as they ensured what appears to be a pretty good changing of the guard for our coaching staff.
Regarding the pass rush...

I tend to think like you seem to be suggesting here, which is to acquire resources to improve weaknesses as opposed to enhance strengths. We all saw that with Lovie and his DL. Maybe it's a holdover from that regime for me, but my exception to this rule tends to be pass rushers. Having a dominant pass rush can almost win games for you by itself with the turnovers and impact on the QB it generates. And frankly, other than possibly the oft injured Leonard Floyd, I don't think we have pass rushers that put the fear of God in anyone. If we're a top 10 pass rush now, think of what we would be with another star player at that position. And maybe an improvement at DE opposite Hicks. (Jon Bullard, it's been there for the taking.) I'd love to see teams get really nervous on 3rd and 9. That excites me. :evilgrin:

G08
Hall of Famer

You can never have too many pass rushers. Our strength is our defense, right? Fangio is a freaking wizard at coverages, so if I can rush the passer with 4 and let him drop 7 into coverage we are going to make him exponentially better.

A legit pass rusher opposite Leonard Floyd is our biggest need right now, IMO. They make your corners better, your safeties better, and really your interior line better because the QB is going to be forced to step up if he's getting killed on the outside.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

I mean look at playoff teams like Philly and Jacksonville and Minny and Atlanta, and even New Orleans to an extent. They have waves of pass rushers.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Yes. We got our QB, now lets go get the other teams QB. Pass Rush is paramount in the NFL these days and the Bears are sitting pretty to get a darn good one (Davenport/Edmunds) at 8 or as a consolation prize a trade down for a QB needy team if some fall. It's time for the draft gods to start working for us, rather than against (L. Williams/ A. Donald).

A man can dream!