Dion Sims?

Keep
55%
Cut
45%

Total votes: 31
malk
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:We have yet to see Shaheen really play. So He can't be penciled in as a starter.
By whom? I'll be amazed if he isn't the starter next year. Sure, he needs to prove it through camp but Sims is in no way locked in.

Sims, 58.7% offensive snaps, 29 targets, 15 receptions
Shaheen, 24.1% offensive snaps, 14 targets, 12 receptions.

Tiny sample sizes but Sims hasn't been around long enough to get loyalty and Shaheen is a 2nd round pick with much greater efficiency and itsn't an absolute liability as a blocker. I think he gets every opportunity to be the starter.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:We have yet to see Shaheen really play. So He can't be penciled in as a starter.
By whom? I'll be amazed if he isn't the starter next year. Sure, he needs to prove it through camp but Sims is in no way locked in.

Tiny sample sizes but Sims hasn't been around long enough to get loyalty and Shaheen is a 2nd round pick with much greater efficiency and itsn't an absolute liability as a blocker. I think he gets every opportunity to be the starter.
hell, even if shaheen inches him out on snaps, until this team proves it can get through a season relatively healthy maybe we shouldnt cut the only real depth at the position?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
malk wrote:

hell, even if shaheen inches him out on snaps, until this team proves it can get through a season relatively healthy maybe we shouldnt cut the only real depth at the position?
Are you saying it will be difficult to find a FA blocking TE who can catch half his targets for 250 yards?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:i just think that, as pace has said, dion was signed for his versatility and his potential. i get that based off of one year he hasnt met that potential, but that one year was a clusterfuck for pretty much everyone on the offense. And 18 starting TE's made more than he did.

He's not going anywhere.
Are you assuming the he's going to be the starter, and Shaheen stays as the #2?

I think most of the 'anti-Sims' crowd assumes that Shaheen is the starter and Sims is now an overpaid #2.
Sims was an overpaid #2 from the moment he signed his contract.
Whether he does or doesn't get the majority of snaps has no bearing on the fact that he's a backup quality player (getting quality starter money).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Laugh y'all are funny.

Last page a list of possible free agents was made. 2 maybe 3 of those players are intriguing. Hell we will see if those players hit FA. Shaheen has proven nothing. Sure the potential is there. David Terrell and Mark Bradley had potential.

How about we all wait a second.
Wounded Bear
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:Laugh y'all are funny.

Last page a list of possible free agents was made. 2 maybe 3 of those players are intriguing. Hell we will see if those players hit FA. Shaheen has proven nothing. Sure the potential is there. David Terrell and Mark Bradley had potential.

I guess the point I got from the list is there are a number of Free Agents out there just as good or better that we wouldn't need to pay starter cash. I believe we could convert an offensive tackle into a TE that could catch 15 passes for 180 yards. We could probably get an actual bear and train him to catch the ball for 180 yards.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
BR0D1E86
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:

I guess the point I got from the list is there are a number of Free Agents out there just as good or better that we wouldn't need to pay starter cash. I believe we could convert an offensive tackle into a TE that could catch 15 passes for 180 yards. We could probably get an actual bear and train him to catch the ball for 180 yards.
I’m now consumed by the desire to see an actual trained bear on the field. Might it look something like this?

malk
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:

Shaheen might not have proven anything but neither has Sims! If this was the discussion about whether Sitton might be a cap casualty I'd see your point (mmmc) but not with Sims.

Do we keep him and hope his terrible hands last year were a one off? Maybe, and I wouldn't hate it. But Shaheen has shown more in one year than Sims has in five. Sims now averages 176 yards and 1.8 touchdowns per season.

In a rookie year where the majority of us were screaming for Fox to give him more snaps Shaheen bagged 127 yards and 3 touchdowns. Plus that was nearly all in a 5 game stretch after the bye week where he finally got some burn. In those 5 weeks he caught 11 of 12 targets.

I've said a few times that it's a tiny sample size but still a promising one. Let's see what he can do with actual offensive coaches.

Sims, I'd honestly rather cut him, keep Brown, do anything with the other TE spot, and then use that cap space on more guaranteed money for Fuller.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:i just think that, as pace has said, dion was signed for his versatility and his potential. i get that based off of one year he hasnt met that potential, but that one year was a clusterfuck for pretty much everyone on the offense. And 18 starting TE's made more than he did.

He's not going anywhere.

I think most of the 'anti-Sims' crowd assumes that Shaheen is the starter and Sims is now an overpaid #2.
Whether he does or doesn't get the majority of snaps has no bearing on the fact that he's a backup quality player (getting quality starter money).

I may have spoken too soon and been too generous.

In the BR year-end ratings, of all the TEs in the league
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754 ... 017-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good ol' "What Would We Ever Do Without Him?" Sims checks in at...

82 out of 87 qualifying TEs in the NFL

(for the math-impared, that would make him an average #3)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

He's not going anywhere.

I may have spoken too soon and been too generous.

In the BR year-end ratings, of all the TEs in the league
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754 ... 017-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good ol' "What Would We Ever Do Without Him?" Sims checks in at...

82 out of 87 qualifying TEs in the NFL

(for the math-impared, that would make him an average #3)
For the life of me, I can NOT figure out why so many people care about this guy so much. Is it the money? Who cares about the money he's making? Everyone here keeps saying how the Bears have truckloads of it that they need to spend, so he's not some financial strain on the team.

He's a #2 TE next year. People should care more about who is going to play WR, the interior of the OL, the pass rush, and the fact that the Bears secondary may be gutted in the offseason. Not a #2 TE.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This has gotten to backup QB level. Just like Bears fans always love the backup QB more, maybe the TE position is going the same way.

The excitement of a possible franchise QB, a new coach, staff, fans just want every position on the team to be perfect. It ain't gonna happen. Have to fix that OL before anything else IMO.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:SNIP

For the life of me, I can NOT figure out why so many people care about this guy so much. Is it the money? Who cares about the money he's making? Everyone here keeps saying how the Bears have truckloads of it that they need to spend, so he's not some financial strain on the team.

He's a #2 TE next year. People should care more about who is going to play WR, the interior of the OL, the pass rush, and the fact that the Bears secondary may be gutted in the offseason. Not a #2 TE.
It's the cap space. Once Glennon and McPhee are gone he'll be the 6th highest cap hit on the roster for 2018. That's significant! He'll drop a bit once we sign a couple of corners and a receiver but he'll still be top 10.

Top 10 in our cap space for a poor quality, backup tight end.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

malk wrote:
wab wrote:SNIP

It's the cap space. Once Glennon and McPhee are gone he'll be the 6th highest cap hit on the roster for 2018. That's significant! He'll drop a bit once we sign a couple of corners and a receiver but he'll still be top 10.

Top 10 in our cap space for a poor quality, backup tight end.
But he has people skills!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Who CARES if he's top 10 in cap space? The Bears aren't strapped for cash! Some of y'all are counting nickles for the Bears like Ebeneezer Scrooge when the Bears are swimming in a pool of gold like Scrooge McDuck.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Who CARES if he's top 10 in cap space? The Bears aren't strapped for cash! Some of y'all are counting nickles for the Bears like Ebeneezer Scrooge when the Bears are swimming in a pool of gold like Scrooge McDuck.
God damn I loved that show:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Who CARES if he's top 10 in cap space? The Bears aren't strapped for cash! Some of y'all are counting nickles for the Bears like Ebeneezer Scrooge when the Bears are swimming in a pool of gold like Scrooge McDuck.
God damn I loved that show:

[video][/video]
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Who cares? Ryan Pace cares. Guys get cut every year for not earning their contract. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:This has gotten to backup QB level. Just like Bears fans always love the backup QB more....
It sounds a lot like you're saying we like Mike Glennon more than Mitchell Trubisky here. :evilgrin: :rofl:

:-P
Last edited by Mikefive on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Were you watching NFL Network this morning? One of the losers on there this a.m. responded to the question - "Name your favorite Mc__________. He said Scrooge McDuck!!!!!!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The Bears also don't have top talent taking up serious cap space. But there are a few FA's that could seriously upgrade the roster and signing them along with whomever we want to keep out of the 25 free agents potentially leaving us will put us right back up close to the spending limit.

I re-signed Meredith, Timu, Brown, Callahan, Sanchez, Fuller, O'Donnell, Santos, Inman, and Houston for an estimated total of 33,716,000. 5 of my numbers are the tenders that RFA's automatically receive, the other 5 are my best guesses based on average FA contracts...I could have under-estimated.

Bottom line, is a good team, or even a wanna be good team, doesn't have the luxury of keeping mediocre talent production wise for high end salary.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

We should cut Simms, take that six million, and go get Cameron Brate in Free Agency. He can block and catch. Shaheen is still a huge question mark folks...
malk
Head Coach

The Kaiser wrote:We should cut Simms, take that six million, and go get Cameron Brate in Free Agency. He can block and catch. Shaheen is still a huge question mark folks...
Shaheen is certainly unproven but that means we need to test him. I'd rather do that in a season where playoffs are the goal than in a season where an Owl is the goal.

MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

malk wrote:
The Kaiser wrote:We should cut Simms, take that six million, and go get Cameron Brate in Free Agency. He can block and catch. Shaheen is still a huge question mark folks...
Shaheen is certainly unproven but that means we need to test him. I'd rather do that in a season where playoffs are the goal than in a season where an Owl is the goal.
where an "owl" is the goal? what in the world does that mean?

sorry, but never heard that before.