Dion Sims?

Keep
55%
Cut
45%

Total votes: 31
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

His contract situation shows that he's under contract for the next 2 years at $6M per and it costs us $667K to cut him. On 3/16/18, $4M of his salary is guaranteed. (Free agency starts on 3/14.) He's young though at 26. He played 59% of the snaps, was targeted 29x with 15 receptions for 180 yards and 1 TD.

To me, this is a no brainer cut. Or at least keep him heading into FA, sign a replacement and turn him loose on 3/15. He's not earning $6M and we need to give Shaheen more PT. We still need a 3rd TE. But I'd pick up another on the market for half the price or less or draft one. If he'd renegotiate his contract down to $2M (and I'm not sure why he would do that), I'd consider bringing him back.

Am I missing something?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I say keep. He got flak for not being great, but he is a solid blocker, and isn't a liability in the receiving game. TE who can block get overlooked. Not a great player but on a weak roster you don't get rid of him.
G08
Hall of Famer

I would cut him only if we are able to land Tre Burton in FA.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Richie
MVP

I think we keep him.

However, I would not mind if we cut him. I like Brown enough (if we can bring him back) and we can probably find a solid blocker who is cheaper.

IMO, someone is going to overpay for Burton to be their starter. Plus, he may have that inflated "free agent coming off a Super Bowl" price tag.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Honestly, there are a bunch of intriguing TE prospects in this years draft. If Pace stays true to form and addresses every need in FA then a few of these guys could be 4th round targets. Also if he does overspend to grad a couple of the top guys then Sims could be one of the many released to make room.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

This was an atrocious call from the get-go.

http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... ms#p167574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least he didn't let it stop him from drafting one. But it was a big waste of money then and becomes a worse value the more you intend to increase Shaheen's workload.
You want a serviceable blocking TE, fine. They grow on trees and shouldn't cost half what you paid.
Last edited by Moriarty on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Keep him. The Bears have guys at TE that can stretch the field. Sims will be good in all the 2 TE sets the Bears will be using.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Keep him but we still need an upgrade down the line. He is not one of the holes on the roster though. The key here is Shaheen needs to step up to being at least a strong starter quality in 2018. Last episode he was still potential and improving

Edit: I still say keep him, but I am not sure Sims still fits the system.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
UOK
Site Admin

A lot of people shit on Sims for his contract, but depth past Shaheen is quite poor. I think Sims is okay, and while his contract isn't great for his scoring numbers, you could do infinitely worse. If Shaheen blossoms, Sims is still useful for his blocking and as a secondary target.
wab
Mod

I just don't see the need to create an extra hole when there are others needed to be filled.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yup, as long as he's on the field with shaheen, and not instead of, i definitely want him around. historically 1st year TE's never do much because they dont get to focus on just one thing, so i dont think it's really that egregious that shaheen didnt get used as much as we'd all like... and if we bring in a project TE to replace Sim's we're back at square one.
Hematite
Player of the Month

I expect the production of Sims to closer match his contract next year, simply because Trubisky will be a better QB in year 2. As others have said as well, the depth at TE is shaky at best and there is no reason to create another hole in the roster when so many exist already.
malk
Head Coach

51.7% catch rate and 3 drops on only 29 targets. I understand the sentiment behind not creating another hole but Sims is already a hole, just an expensive one.

Cut please!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

malk wrote:51.7% catch rate and 3 drops on only 29 targets. I understand the sentiment behind not creating another hole but Sims is already a hole, just an expensive one.

Cut please!
But he's not supposed to be the receiver. That was Miller. Then Miller went down and Sims had to fill a hole he was never supposed to fill because Shaheen wasn't ready (I guess).

With the development of Shaheen, and to a lesser extent Brown, Sims can go back to what he does well.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I would like to see him in an offense that actually values the TE position as a weapon, before I decide to cut him. He is supposed to be an athletic pass catcher, he just hasn't been in the right scheme. He's only 26.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Certainly there is another free agent TE that could better his production even if you take into account our less than stellar QB play. I would really like to see Mitch to get comfortable and utilize his Tight Ends. The fact that he didn't proves to me that he isn't exactly comfortable with him.

Utilizing your Tight Ends is really the blue print for getting a young QB up and running.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
sturf
Journeyman

It's hard to find a Y TE with any athleticism and receiving ability, which is how Sims got that contract to begin with. They got Gilbride the new TE coach so let him work with Sims and Shaheen.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

sturf wrote:It's hard to find a Y TE with any athleticism and receiving ability, which is how Sims got that contract to begin with. They got Gilbride the new TE coach so let him work with Sims and Shaheen.
That characterization shocks me. Sims was sold as a TE who could both block and catch, but didn't get much opportunity in the pass game. As it turns out, he can block, but not do very much in the pass game even with more opportunity.

When you talk about a TE with athleticism and receiving ability, you're talking about Daniel Brown. Of course, he's not much of a blocker. And he was also the 4th TE most of the year, so his opportunities were limited. If you're looking for a guy who should really benefit from a more aggressive scheme, it's Brown the former WR. I'm not saying he'll be the 2nd coming of anything. But he's an inexpensive guy I'd like to see with the new offense.

I just don't see why it makes sense to pay $6M for a blocking TE. You should be able to find those for sub starter money.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
sturf wrote:It's hard to find a Y TE with any athleticism and receiving ability, which is how Sims got that contract to begin with. They got Gilbride the new TE coach so let him work with Sims and Shaheen.
That characterization shocks me. Sims was sold as a TE who could both block and catch, but didn't get much opportunity in the pass game. As it turns out, he can block, but not do very much in the pass game even with more opportunity.

When you talk about a TE with athleticism and receiving ability, you're talking about Daniel Brown. Of course, he's not much of a blocker. And he was also the 4th TE most of the year, so his opportunities were limited. If you're looking for a guy who should really benefit from a more aggressive scheme, it's Brown the former WR. I'm not saying he'll be the 2nd coming of anything. But he's an inexpensive guy I'd like to see with the new offense.

I just don't see why it makes sense to pay $6M for a blocking TE. You should be able to find those for sub starter money.
In fairness to Sims, he was supposed to play more of an H-Back role. But things didn't really go as planned.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not that I want the Bears to draft him, but I love me some Dallas Goedert from South Dakota St U. 6'4" 260 had over 1100 yds last 2 yrs. Yes he is from an FCS school, but the dude has skills.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

In fairness to Sims, he was supposed to play more of an H-Back role. But things didn't really go as planned.
I remember his strength being in pass blocking, but the more I watched him the more I felt he should be used in the passing game. If you look at his metrics, he's not exactly a slouch:

1.62/2.75/4.75
7.16 cone

Compare that to Travis Kelce (No, I'm not saying he's Travis Kelce):
255 lbs
1.61/2.72/4.61
7.09 cone
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:Not that I want the Bears to draft him, but I love me some Dallas Goedert from South Dakota St U. 6'4" 260 had over 1100 yds last 2 yrs. Yes he is from an FCS school, but the dude has skills.
He's one of the guys I like also. It'll be interesting to see some actual 40 times at the combine. A lot of these TE's have ideal size. Hope some of them break out and show some speed.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

I remember his strength being in pass blocking, but the more I watched him the more I felt he should be used in the passing game. If you look at his metrics, he's not exactly a slouch:

1.62/2.75/4.75
7.16 cone

255 lbs
1.61/2.72/4.61
7.09 cone
Hands. Of. Stone.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

1.62/2.75/4.75
7.16 cone

255 lbs
1.61/2.72/4.61
7.09 cone
Hands. Of. Stone.
Look. Sims is not supposed to be our pass catching TE. That's Shaheen. With Sims' size and blocking ability, in 12 personnel, its like having another OL out on the field. I think we keep him and see what he can do.
GSH
MVP

I have a problem with keeping anyone who is just about good enough to keep coverage honest for our main guy to find open space.

Id rather have more than 1 legitimate threat in all positions. Shaheen is a better catcher, with bigger size for blocking capabilities. Sign another one. Settling for mediocrity in any position or phase can not be an option. Pace has to, and I believe he eventually will, strengthen this teams depth to provide that at all positions.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:His contract situation shows that he's under contract for the next 2 years at $6M per and it costs us $667K to cut him. On 3/16/18, $4M of his salary is guaranteed. (Free agency starts on 3/14.) He's young though at 26. He played 59% of the snaps, was targeted 29x with 15 receptions for 180 yards and 1 TD.

To me, this is a no brainer cut. Or at least keep him heading into FA, sign a replacement and turn him loose on 3/15. He's not earning $6M and we need to give Shaheen more PT. We still need a 3rd TE. But I'd pick up another on the market for half the price or less or draft one. If he'd renegotiate his contract down to $2M (and I'm not sure why he would do that), I'd consider bringing him back.

Am I missing something?
I could not agree more. Cut him and sign a blocking TE. Shaheen is the receiving TE. The Biscuit to Shaheen chemistry needs to get started like yesterday.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

1.62/2.75/4.75
7.16 cone

255 lbs
1.61/2.72/4.61
7.09 cone
Hands. Of. Stone.
Look. Sims is not supposed to be our pass catching TE. That's Shaheen. With Sims' size and blocking ability, in 12 personnel, its like having another OL out on the field. I think we keep him and see what he can do.
I understand he was meant to be a blocking TE with some upside in the passing game, and that's what his contract reflected. I also think his contract, with a small amount of dead money even after the first year, demonstrated a certain lack of confidence from Pace in his ability to fulfil that role, the games have borne that out.

$6m per is too much for a blocking TE so he should be cut and replaced with a blocking TE for the right money or cut and replaced for the same money with someone who can hopefully do the job he was intended to.

wab
Mod

You know it's the offseason for Bears fans when there is a 3 page post about a 2nd string blocking TE.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

This is essentially the same argument I have for the get rid of Sitton theory.

The Bears have the 12th most cap room. They likely won't be bringing in 7 new 7 million dollar players. So the cap savings likely will be a moot point.

The free agent class is either, old, injured, or both. In a league where keeping your QB standing is a priority cutting Sims seems to hurt that priority. Especially when your back ups are not proven or can't replace him in that roll.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:You know it's the offseason for Bears fans when there is a 3 page post about a 2nd string blocking TE.
Indeed. :D