manage the Bears salary cap

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Part of me thinks most of Landry's problems come from always playing second fiddle to ODB. He's trying too hard to "out ODB" ODB.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Part of me thinks most of Landry's problems come from always playing second fiddle to ODB. He's trying too hard to "out ODB" ODB.
Could be... he'd be the man here I would think, and the way he plays I think Chicago would fall in love with him quickly (so long as he cuts out the dumbshit penalties).

I dunno... I'm warming up to the idea.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Landry's 392 catches over his four years (and Adi's breakdown — nice job, man!) clearly suggests he's better than I give him credit for. Hell, it could be my irrational bias toward LSU players, whom I feel largely underwhelm when they get to the NFL.

Watkins — and frankly Allen Robinson, blown-out knee and all — are likely getting tagged, meaning Landry's the best of the remaining lot. Albert Wilson seems an obvious choice after Nagy's time in KC.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Other than sort of being a pain in the ass for a franchise that has been in a bit of disarray since drafting him, I don't see where he's really a "headcase". He's a but immature for sure.

Landry doesn't have elite speed, but he gets separation and can catch the football. every. time. Something the Bears desperately need in order for Trubisky to get better.

He's such a great fit for Nagy's WC offense, that Pace may be willing to overlook his outspoken nature.
I think being outspoken, kind of childish when he's criticized, and the 8 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in 3 seasons is really unacceptable. Imagine that happening and it costs us a game.

Maybe Long/Trubisky can keep him in check, I don't know. Looking purely at talent I think he's a heck of a player and he'll be targeted a ton here. Should be interesting moving forward.
I think, and I recognize I'm 100% leaving objectivity behind, but I've felt for awhile that the dolphins have a shitty locker room culture. (and I think to an extent that's why Gase is having troubles with that roster and getting so frustrated). When you've got a guy like Mike Pouncey as a team leader, you arent in good shape.

So a guy like Landry, obviously it doesnt do a ton of good for his immaturity to be in that situation.

MEANWHILE (AND I'M GOING FULL MEATBALL), we've been working extremely hard to create a culture of accountability and respect here at halas hall. And could afford to take on a guy who's not an angel and help him be a better person.
malk
Head Coach

Checking back Meredith was only in the slot 34.1% of the time in 2016. That makes me feel better about potentially signing Jarvis. He's going to get a metric shit-tonne of cash but this is the year for us to be splashy.

If we did go that route I think it's curtains for Wright, he deserves a increase in pay from this year and wouldn't be worth it behind Meredith and Landry.

X Inman/White
Z Meredith
Y Landry

#5 could either be a special teamer (dare I say Bellamy!) or a rookie, or both if we carry six. Swap Inman for another free agent if you disagree with me on his potential.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:I think it’s Landry or Watkins. Considering that the slot gets a ton of action in this offense. Marquis Lee is an option also.
I'd be pumped if we got Watkins. In another thread it was mentioned that the Rams could cut Tavon Austin which would free up even more money to retain Watkins so I'm really doubting he's leaving unless there's some sort of locker room type mismatch.

It might come down to Landry or nothing in terms of a #1 which means we might be forced to take a WR in the draft (Round 2? Kirk?).

Full disclosure, I was never a Jarvis Landry fan. I had this preconceived notion that he was just a run of the mill slot receiver who got fed easy passes on check downs. But after watching his 2017 tape, my opinion on Landry has drastically changed. There are things that stats can’t gauge, and all of those things are what make Jarvis Landry so great.

Landry is such a unique player in slot. He’s like a unicorn, the only one of his kind. He possesses the elusiveness of a great slot receiver, the hands of an elite outside receiver, and the tackle breaking ability of a power running back. One of the toughest football players you will ever see, and that’s really saying something at the wide receiver position.

These are all very strong words, and I will break down all the reasons why. Landry does all the little things so well, and it really adds up. Then add to that Landry’s insane effort level, where it just looks like he obviously wants it more than anyone on the field. Mix that in with his unbreakable toughness. And this is what you get.

QB PLAY

First of all, no matter how good a WR is, they can’t do much with shit QB play. And boy oh boy, did the Dolphins have some shit QB play. Fales/Moore/Cutler were all an absolute train wreck. Jay Cutler, specifically, was jaw droppingly awful. There were prolonged sequences of play where Cutler could not throw an accurate pass to any part of the field.

Here Cutler overthrows a wide open Landry in the end zone with a clean pocket. Simply unacceptable..

NOT GOOD

Throws it behind Landry with a clean pocket.

PATHETIC

Terrible pass moving to his right.

JUST SAD

Cutler can’t hit the side of a barn

BRUTAL

Off his back foot

VINTAGE JAY

Cutler almost ends Landry’s career here

DONT CARE

These were only a small sampling of how truly bad Cutler was this past season.

HANDS

Now that I’ve established what Jarvis Landry was working with this past season, you can also see what a disadvantage he’s been in. But Landry is a special player, and because of this he was able to mitigate a lot of this horrid inaccuracy.

You see, Jarvis Landry has the strongest hands you’ll ever see. I mean, the dude must have been using that hand gripper thing since he was 5 years old. If he can get one hand on the ball, it’s a completion most of the time. If it wasn’t for Landry, Cutler would have been benched before the end of September.

Deflected passes don’t bother Landry

BOSS

The difficulty level on this catch is off the charts

NOT AGAIN JAY

And here is Matt Moore trying to make life difficult for Landry

REALLY?

Landry makes it look easy on another Cutler fuck up

TIME TO RETIRE

Another one handed catch on Cutler’s trademark fadeaway jumper

DEJA VU

Jarvis Landry also does something that Alshon Jeffery is known for. With a tightly contested pass, Landry will keep the ball out in front of him instead of pulling it into his body so that the DB has no chance of breaking it up.

ALSHON

Elusiveness

Now, in the few times where the Miami QB’s actually lead Landry with the pass, he is absolutely deadly in open space. He has a blend of quickness, agility, and vision that is extremely hard to find. He is so aware of everything around him, and it’s fun to watch.

Here Landry slithers through the defense

LIKE BUTTER

If Landry can’t get around you, he will go over you

HURDLE

Landry uses a plethora of moves

SPIN MOVE

Landry can make something out of nothing

STOP START

Landry is faster than you think

ACCELERATION

Miami even has designed run plays for Landry

SMOOTH

Will and Power

As I mentioned before, Jarvis Landry is tough as nails. He’s the toughest WR I’ve ever seen play. So when he’s not running around you or over you, he is running through you. This guy single handedly decimated and demoralizes secondaries. And he goes at you at 100 mph on every single play in single game.

You can actually see the will of the secondary breaking every time he gets the ball. He is like a power back, and that is how Miami used him. Get him the ball past the dline, and he will punish defensive backs all game long. It’s quite phenomenal to watch.

Landry embarrasses the DB here with a vicious stiff arm

GET THE STRETCHER

Jarvis Landry just wants it more than you

UNSTOPPABLE

This play is dead from the very beginning, yet Landry gains 5 yards out of sheer will.

WOW

This is unbelievable. Landry drops the SS with a stiff arm and then decapitates the FS.

RIP

Moving the Chains

1st downs are a pretty big deal in the NFL, and Jarvis Landry has an uncanny ability of getting said first downs. No matter where on the field he gets the ball, Landry seems to always know where that first down marker is and how to get it.

You can’t stop Landry from getting that 1st, dude is just on another level

OUCH

This just isn’t fair

LOL

Landry swats the defender away for the first down

MOVE BITCH

Huge 3rd and 9 late in the 4th quarter. Landry gets the ball 5 yards short. He takes shots from 6 defenders and still converts the 1st down. Can your slot receiver do this? Can any other receiver do this?

DETERMINATION

Route Running

Here is where all the consternation comes in when it comes to Landry. Why does he play the slot, why can’t he play outside? Well, I believe Landry can play on the outside. But by playing him on the outside you take away some of the things that make him so special. You want him in open space, you want him leveling defenders and wearing them out. But he can get open and produce anywhere on the field.

Landry does his homework, he can find the soft spots in the zone

ZONE

On the outside here with a beautiful in route

IN ROUTE

Landry is a very smart and savvy route runner. He knows when he can push off to gain separation

PUSH OFF

Here Landry wisely breaks off his route to give Cutler a target

BREAK

Fantastic route on the outside

OUTSIDE

Great body control and adjustment

BODY CONTROL

The DB had no chance, got beat immediately

BEAT

Landry gets a lot of respect from opposing DB’s

RESPEKT

Fearless

Another reason Landry is so valuable in the middle of the field is because of his absolute fearlessness. The guy will go wherever he has to go, and he’ll love doing it. You’re not going to intimidate him. It’s Landry who inposes his will on the defense, never the other way around.

Right in front of the safety

SAFETY

Right in front of the linebacker

LINEBACKER

In between 3 defenders

THREE

This is an awful pass, and Landry knows if he wants to catch it he will have to put himself in a very vulnerable position

VULNERABLE

Belichick Effect

The last thing I curiously noticed was how Bill Belichick defended Jarvis Landry. And I was surprised to learn that Belichick specifically keyed in on Landry when playing the Dolphins. He did everything he could to make sure Jarvis Landry did not beat him. Here are a couple of examples of what I mean.

Watch the safety on this play. He never once even looks at Cutler. He keeps his eyes on Jarvis Landry throughout the entirety of the play.

ATTENTION

This next play is pretty mind blowing considering the position Landry plays. It’s my favorite Landry play. Belichick actually has one of his linebackers chip Landry at the snap of the ball. In addition to that, the CB tries to jam him. But Landry somehow gets through it without disrupting the timing and makes a spectacular catch.

CHIP JAM

Conclusion

Is Jarvis Landry an all pro wide receiver in the traditional sense? I don’t know. What I do know is that Jarvis Landry is an all pro football player. If the Bears do sign Landry, there will surely be some fans upset with the signing. But after the first quarter of game number one, everybody will be a Jarvis Landry fan.

Best post I've ever read here or most anywhere else. That was outstanding. Between wab's mock drafts and this guy. Wow.
ysleblanc
MVP

Another blog about potential cuts...

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/02/every ... ee-agency/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;