Ok let's talk Trubisky's 2018 backup...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:A guy like Chase Daniel would be great, but I don't know what he's looking for right now. You could do infinitely worse, however. I think this would be a ripe year to take a guy like Connor Cook, where you pluck a QB in rounds 4 or 5 with no urgency whatsoever to contribute (besides injury), and he can take 2-3 years to season and hone raw attributes into being safely stowed as a backup on a longer term deal, or someone you can flip for picks.
I think Daniel immediately gives you someone that is fairly well-versed in this offense, which to me is huge for a young and developing QB. I'd be more interested in drafting a kid once Trubisky has settled into this offense.

I'm guessing we bring in a veteran to backup the kid and either draft someone late or sign a UDFA and he runs the practice squad.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:A guy like Chase Daniel would be great, but I don't know what he's looking for right now. You could do infinitely worse, however. I think this would be a ripe year to take a guy like Connor Cook, where you pluck a QB in rounds 4 or 5 with no urgency whatsoever to contribute (besides injury), and he can take 2-3 years to season and hone raw attributes into being safely stowed as a backup on a longer term deal, or someone you can flip for picks.
I think Daniel immediately gives you someone that is fairly well-versed in this offense, which to me is huge for a young and developing QB. I'd be more interested in drafting a kid once Trubisky has settled into this offense.

I'm guessing we bring in a veteran to backup the kid and either draft someone late or sign a UDFA and he runs the practice squad.

There's really no wrong answer. Even Mike Glennon, shabby and doddering shitknob that he is, would be a serviceable, if not grossly overpaid backup. But let's be real, he won't be on the roster soon.
Richie
MVP

UOK wrote:I think this would be a ripe year to take a guy like Connor Cook, where you pluck a QB in rounds 4 or 5 with no urgency whatsoever to contribute (besides injury)
I've thought about this myself. I would be all for Nagy handpicking a project QB in the middle rounds to slowly bring along over the next few years. With zero pressure for him to do anything besides wind up Trub's long-term backup.
Richie
MVP

UOK wrote:
G08 wrote:

There's really no wrong answer. Even Mike Glennon, shabby and doddering shitknob that he is, would be a serviceable, if not grossly overpaid backup. But let's be real, he won't be on the roster soon.
In reality, Glennon is most likely a quality backup QB.

However, we cannot justify picking up the option for how much we'd be committing to him financially over the next two years.
Middleguard
MVP

If the Bears can re-sign Sanchez for a modest raise, why does anyone think the Bears would need another backup QB who might perform better on the field (FA, not draftee)? Please outline a reasonable scenario where it would pay off.
Wounded Bear
MVP

It's a wasted pick/wasted roster spot in my estimation. Once you get down to a 3rd stringer, chances are you ain't going nowhere. Any jackoff you can snag off of waivers will do the trick at that point.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
GSH
MVP

I like how just bring kaep's name up stirs all that shit up, but you're right to be concerned about the PR circus that brings.

I have no idea who chase daniel is.

Can we have matt barkley back now?

edit: I get what everyone is saying about sanchez, but burning a roster spot rather than a coaching slot, for the money, just seems wack to me. Would anyone on this board feel good about sanchez coming into any situation where he's the next QB up and the game is on the line? I can't say I would, in all honesty.
Richie
MVP

GSH wrote:I like how just bring kaep's name up stirs all that shit up, but you're right to be concerned about the PR circus that brings.

I have no idea who chase daniel is.

Can we have matt barkley back now?

edit: I get what everyone is saying about sanchez, but burning a roster spot rather than a coaching slot, for the money, just seems wack to me. Would anyone on this board feel good about sanchez coming into any situation where he's the next QB up and the game is on the line? I can't say I would, in all honesty.
Why? He's had a very nice NFL career. He is more than qualified as a backup.

I said this in another thread, but I guess I'll say it again... Fans define Sanchez WAAAYYY too much from one embarrassing play. Was he a hit as a 1st round QB? No. However, any team should be happy to have him as a backup. He was legitimately great in a couple of playoff runs for New York, very solid as a backup coming in for Philly... He's solid. You can rely on him to be serviceable, IMO.
Richie
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:It's a wasted pick/wasted roster spot in my estimation. Once you get down to a 3rd stringer, chances are you ain't going nowhere. Any jackoff you can snag off of waivers will do the trick at that point.
Well, down to a 3rd stringer for the rest of the season? Definitely.

However, there have been 3rd stringers who have had to make spot starts for post-season teams before. With the #1 not far off from returning to action. Brissett went 1-1 for NE in 16, they won the Super Bowl. TJ Yates won a playoff game in Houston. Joe Webb started the wild card game in 2012 for Minnesota, at Green Bay. Had he won, Ponder would have been back for the Divisional Round. These are just a few scenarios that come to mind...

I understand what you're saying. That if your starter goes down for 3-4 weeks in the midst of a SB contending season, you can grab a guy off of waivers to be your interim backup. I somewhat agree with you... but I think you could make an argument in having a guy who has been along with you for the duration of the season. That it isn't a total waste. I'm not sure...
Wounded Bear
MVP

Richie wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:It's a wasted pick/wasted roster spot in my estimation. Once you get down to a 3rd stringer, chances are you ain't going nowhere. Any jackoff you can snag off of waivers will do the trick at that point.

However, there have been 3rd stringers who have had to make spot starts for post-season teams before. With the #1 not far off from returning to action. Brissett went 1-1 for NE in 16, they won the Super Bowl. TJ Yates won a playoff game in Houston. Joe Webb started the wild card game in 2012 for Minnesota, at Green Bay. Had he won, Ponder would have been back for the Divisional Round. These are just a few scenarios that come to mind...

I understand what you're saying. That if your starter goes down for 3-4 weeks in the midst of a SB contending season, you can grab a guy off of waivers to be your interim backup. I somewhat agree with you... but I think you could make an argument in having a guy who has been along with you for the duration of the season. That it isn't a total waste. I'm not sure...
If he was more of a real developmental player who actually has an upside that's attainable, I would entertain such an idea, but if I had my druthers, I'd rather carry another D-lineman, Linebacker, or even depth on the offensive line.

And to go slightly off-topic, I'd like to see us snag a real back up nose tackle in case something happens to Eddie Goldman because John Jenkins is just a big tub of fuggin' goo with cleats on. Or grab another decent TE so Trubs could work a double TE set if we can get Shaheen up to speed.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
malk
Head Coach

Richie wrote:

The question with those is, a) did they actually do anything to get the win or were they just a live body. b) did the games actually make that much difference.

Take Brissett for example. In those two games he started they win one where he throws for 103 yards (runs for 48) with 58% completion. Then he lays a goose egg in a game where he throws for 205 yards for 63% completion. No touchdowns or interceptions in either.

So the game they win he does next to nothing and they lose the game where he's deeply average. If they lose both the Patriots go 13-3 and still lead the AFC.

I'm happy with Sanchez being a bit of a coach and a serviceable backup for a short period if needed. We're also not in contention next year so I'm a little less bothered about absolute performance. I'd be equally happy, with a developmental guy but I don't see them running with that kind of player as a #2 when Trubisky is this raw.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

There are a few other names out there that will likely become available and might be worth looking at:

1. Matt Barkley (good experience with QB Coach Dave Ragone in 2016)
2. Trevor Simieon (likely to be cut and likely to have a long career with the clipboard)
3. Bryce Petty (not sure if this is a fit but he's young, cheap, has starting experience and could benefit from good coaching)

Agree that Tyler Bray or Sanchez makes the most sense
wab
Mod

Bray is basically a cheaper Glennon. And I'd prefer to not have anything resembling that on the Bears roster.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i dont think it'll happen, but i'd welcome matt barkley with open arms. i'd love him as our career backup.
malk
Head Coach

Barkley is the perfect backup for a team that isn't quite there. If you're on the cusp you need a game manager but where we are, if we're going to win, the QB needs to make some plays. That's Barkley.

Sure the variance is massive and the odds aren't in your favour but he can definitely move the football.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BabyBear
Journeyman

If Trevor Simeian is available...pay him whatever he wants.

I'd be THRILLED to have him as a backup. Because he showed flashes that someday he just might be a good starter. Sign him. Develop him. Hes got talent. He could be our Nick Foles.
wab
Mod

BabyBear wrote:If Trevor Simeian is available...pay him whatever he wants.

I'd be THRILLED to have him as a backup. Because he showed flashes that someday he just might be a good starter. Sign him. Develop him. Hes got talent. He could be our Nick Foles.
This could be the only time I have or will agree with you. Mostly. Pay him whatever backup QB's make. Not whatever he wants.
BabyBear
Journeyman

wab wrote:

This could be the only time I have or will agree with you. Mostly. Pay him whatever backup QB's make. Not whatever he wants.
As you continue to mature and grow as a human being, with the wisdom of age, you will agree with me on a great many things.

And pay him top 10 backup money.
wab
Mod

BabyBear wrote:
wab wrote:

As you continue to mature and grow as a human being, with the wisdom of age, you will agree with me on a great many things.

Well that feeling was short lived...
BabyBear
Journeyman

wab wrote:
BabyBear wrote:
wab wrote:

Well that feeling was short lived...

Yeah you're right....low ball him and watch another team pay him exactly that kind of money. Which is what his market value will be.
Wounded Bear
MVP

BabyBear wrote:
wab wrote:

Why? Because I'll have dementia?
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Middleguard
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:
BabyBear wrote:
wab wrote:

Why? Because I'll have dementia?
Exactly! That's what he meant.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

BabyBear wrote:
wab wrote:

yeah, that's not arrogant at all, lol!!!!
docc
Head Coach

Says a "Baby"..mature as a human being to agree with a "baby bear"

HILARIOUS !