Ok let's talk Trubisky's 2018 backup...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BabyBear
Journeyman

The QB market is already poppin with the Alex Smith trade.

So....let's talk backups that Pace can afford and fit Nagys offense:

3 guys came to mind for me...mobility was a pre-req because that's what Nagy likes.

1. Tyrod Taylor:
I don't know what the Bills plans are, but I don't think Tyrod is part of it. He's probably out of our price range but someone to keep an eye on.

2. Blaine Gabbert: This wouldn't surprise me actually. He's always had good legs, and he seems like a guy Nagy would like to develop more. Arians always had good things to say about him. And I'll never forget him slicing through Fangio's defense for that 50 yd td run.

Now my wild card...that I would actually be totally down with...

3. RG3:

A year out of football probably didn't help his cause, but at this point what could taking a look hurt? Maybe he's the Case Keenum of 2018. Viqueens signed him for less than my nieces lunch money. RG3 would cost even less. Even on 2 surgically repaired knees, he'd still automatically be the most mobile QB on our team and yes his arm talent I'm sure is still there.

I'd.also be TOTALLY fine with drafting a QB as high as the 3rd round if Nagy and Pace fell in love with somebody.

Who do you like?
UOK
Site Admin

Had an interesting read on this at The Athletic (read here if you're a subscriber). Basically insists that the Bears will likely battle Andy Reid for either Chase Daniel or Tyler Bray -- guys Nagy worked with in KC, in addition to taking a flier on a rookie quarterback in either a late round or UDFA.

Sounds plausible to me.
BabyBear
Journeyman

UOK wrote:Had an interesting read on this at The Athletic (read here if you're a subscriber). Basically insists that the Bears will likely battle Andy Reid for either Chase Daniel or Tyler Bray -- guys Nagy worked with in KC, in addition to taking a flier on a rookie quarterback in either a late round or UDFA.

Sounds plausible to me.
Neither inspires any confidence for me.

Chase Daniel gives me that Jonathan Quinn vibe. Hailed as some great backup who.never played and then when the time came was a total disaster.
UOK
Site Admin

BabyBear wrote:
UOK wrote:Had an interesting read on this at The Athletic (read here if you're a subscriber). Basically insists that the Bears will likely battle Andy Reid for either Chase Daniel or Tyler Bray -- guys Nagy worked with in KC, in addition to taking a flier on a rookie quarterback in either a late round or UDFA.

Sounds plausible to me.

Chase Daniel gives me that Jonathan Quinn vibe. Hailed as some great backup who.never played and then when the time came was a total disaster.

Well sure, these aren't sexy acquisitions, but if you sign a guy like Tyrod, for example, you won't get him to put ink to paper unless he's told he'll legitimately compete to be a starter. That's not realistic. The incessant need for QBs around the NFL will ultimately have a guy like Taylor going to a place like the Jets, Cardinals, etc.

I would be really cool with Gabbert. I think he's settled into a backup role, has proved he can be a crafty vet when called upon, and would be on the upper tier of backup quarterbacks around the league.
BabyBear
Journeyman

UOK wrote:
BabyBear wrote:

Sounds plausible to me.

Well sure, these aren't sexy acquisitions, but if you sign a guy like Tyrod, for example, you won't get him to put ink to paper unless he's told he'll legitimately compete to be a starter. That's not realistic. The incessant need for QBs around the NFL will ultimately have a guy like Taylor going to a place like the Jets, Cardinals, etc.

I would be really cool with Gabbert. I think he's settled into a backup role, has proved he can be a crafty vet when called upon, and would be on the upper tier of backup quarterbacks around the league.
Man, ain't it pathetic what the landscape of backup NFL QBs has become? This is why the XFL just might work this time.

I been saying for years the NFL should have adioted a farm system like MLB where QBS and such can go develop.

I remember a time when the NFL had more good QBS than it knew what to do with.

Here's what the backup scene looked like a quarter century ago, going into the 1992 season. It was like PICK YOUR POISON!

Steve Young
Phil.Simms (yes, it was Hostetlers job to lose)
Frank Reich
Steve DeBerg
Jim McMahon
Steve Walsh
Steve Beurlein
Erik Kramer
Steve Bono
Chris Chandler
Stan Humphries
Mike Tomczak
Scott Mitchell

All those guys went on to become serviceable starters at some point.

Now we're splitting hairs over crumbums like Gabbert and Chase Daniel, haha.
malk
Head Coach

Let's draft someone low or even get in a UDFA. If we were closer to competing then you might consider someone who can help us win a game or two if Trubisky gets a minor injury but for now I'd rather coach that guy up on a rookie deal than pay a vet.

If they're the options we might as well stick around with Sanchez for now.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'll tell you what. I'm all for keeping Sanchez as a back-up/ego-stroker this year. He did a good job of it last year, and seems to accept the role pretty well. You can go out and get Gabbert or another scrub to ride the pine every Sunday, but I say we keep Mark.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I'll tell you what. I'm all for keeping Sanchez as a back-up/ego-stroker this year. He did a good job of it last year, and seems to accept the role pretty well. You can go out and get Gabbert or another scrub to ride the pine every Sunday, but I say we keep Mark.
Yeah, Sanchez is a must and a quality backup in my humble estimation. But more importantly, he is constantly in Mitch's ear when I see them on the sideline together. The dude really coaches Mitch up and Mitch looks amenable to him.

Whoever else, I really don't care as long as it ain't Glennon, which The Marshall Plan seems to think we could get 12 deflated footballs in a burlap sack if we decide to trade him. I personally believe he's dreaming. I feel we may be able to get a kicking tee and a punch in the nutsack....and I'll gladly take it. Certainly less painful than watching him play.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Tyrod Taylor isn't coming to chicago to be a backup. If he goes the backup route I would suspect Baltimore will be after him. Other teams desperate might offer him a chance at starting.

Gabbert is trash, never done anything. Sanchez has done quite a bit and is a heck of a lot more respectable with his record on the field.

I would say keep sanchez, if that doesn't work then see who else is around.
wab
Mod

1 Sanchez, 2 Gabbert, 3 Daniel. I don’t think Bray is a great fit.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I love the idea of keeping Sanchez and have him be the #2. Beyond that, we need a development guy like Connor Shaw was. I don't see the value of paying Blaine Gabbert $4M to be a backup who may not be any better than Sanchez. A young development guy with some mobility and arm talent potential seems like the right choice to me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don't know if Josh McCown is realistic, but I'd like that.
cblaz11
MVP

Mark....Sanchez and a late rd draft pick...done
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:I don't know if Josh McCown is realistic, but I'd like that.

he's still the starter for the Jets unless they win the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I'll tell you what. I'm all for keeping Sanchez as a back-up/ego-stroker this year. He did a good job of it last year, and seems to accept the role pretty well. You can go out and get Gabbert or another scrub to ride the pine every Sunday, but I say we keep Mark.
Yeah, Sanchez is a must and a quality backup in my humble estimation. But more importantly, he is constantly in Mitch's ear when I see them on the sideline together. The dude really coaches Mitch up and Mitch looks amenable to him.

Whoever else, I really don't care as long as it ain't Glennon, which The Marshall Plan seems to think we could get 12 deflated footballs in a burlap sack if we decide to trade him. I personally believe he's dreaming. I feel we may be able to get a kicking tee and a punch in the nutsack....and I'll gladly take it. Certainly less painful than watching him play.

Glennon was set up to lose

if the Bears were not going to come up with a more standard traditional offense for the wounded giraffe to run, then they shouldn't have even bothered and just started Trubisky from day 1 ... Glennon was not functional in the scheme he was thrown into but only half of that was his fault

that said, I am looking forward to him being an ex-Bear ... he can join the storied ranks of losers like Rick Mirer and Moses Moreno and others who each at one time or another were presented to us as legitimate starting QB's
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BabyBear
Journeyman

What's with all the Sanchez love?

I mean shouldnt we fans have higher standards than Ryan Pace does?

If any fan base knows the importance of a good #2 QB....it's Bears fans.

We can do better than Sanchez, people.

Just because he can "talk" doesn't mean diddly poo when it comes to actually having to get behind center. That's what separates him from a guy like McCown. McCown can actually PLAY too.

So give me a vet who can play over a vet who can "talk" lol.
UOK
Site Admin

BabyBear wrote:What's with all the Sanchez love?

Just because he can "talk" doesn't mean diddly poo when it comes to actually having to get behind center. That's what separates him from a guy like McCown. McCown can actually PLAY too.

Sanchez is essentially an assistant QB coach. McCown's like 40 years old at this point. I don't think he'd be a bad backup, but I'd put him on an even plane of ability as Sanchez.

BB, you're really aching to have your cake and eat it too, and that's not exactly a great perspective if you want to be a content fan in the NFL.
sturf
Journeyman

Just re-sign Sanchez and draft a later QB if there is someone they like. Somebody guys might fall with all the QB's that declared early this year.

1. Sanchez is still only 31 years old. He's actually the same age as Chase Daniel, and accomplished a ton more.
2. Sanchez spent 2 years in Philadelphia playing in a Chip Kelly/Shurmur (Andy Reid) offense
3. Sanchez is the only realistic option that has experienced the pressures of being a major city starting QB. With the restrictions on how much contact coaches can have with players, having players who can mentor is more important.
BabyBear
Journeyman

UOK wrote:

Sanchez is essentially an assistant QB coach. McCown's like 40 years old at this point. I don't think he'd be a bad backup, but I'd put him on an even plane of ability as Sanchez.

BB, you're really aching to have your cake and eat it too, and that's not exactly a great perspective if you want to be a content fan in the NFL.
The ONLY reason I'd consider keeping an open mind with Sanchez is the we now have some competent offensive coaches.

Otherwise he looked bad last pre-season. And he is NOT even with McCown.

Though I suppose like McCown, he could be a late bloomer?
wab
Mod

Everyone likes to focus on the whole buttfumble thing while forgetting that Sanchez has a ton of experience in the NFL, and isn't actually a bad backup QB. He's also athletic enough to run this offense.

He's also settled into being perfectly happy with his role as backup/mentor. And the importance of that can't be overstated.
BabyBear
Journeyman

wab wrote:Everyone likes to focus on the whole buttfumble thing while forgetting that Sanchez has a ton of experience in the NFL, and isn't actually a bad backup QB. He's also athletic enough to run this offense.

He's also settled into being perfectly happy with his role as backup/mentor. And the importance of that can't be overstated.
Personally I never gave a damn about the butt fumble thing. Couldve happened to anybody.

I just don't think he has much left.

Jason Campbell SOUNDED good. But the truth is he didn't have anything left.
wab
Mod

BabyBear wrote:
wab wrote:Everyone likes to focus on the whole buttfumble thing while forgetting that Sanchez has a ton of experience in the NFL, and isn't actually a bad backup QB. He's also athletic enough to run this offense.

Personally I never gave a damn about the butt fumble thing. Couldve happened to anybody.

I just don't think he has much left.

Jason Campbell SOUNDED good. But the truth is he didn't have anything left.
Apples and oranges.
malk
Head Coach

I've totally come around on Sanchez. I pretty much hated him as a #3, an expensive coach that counts against the cap. As a #2 I love him. The coaching aspect is a nice bonus, he did a decent job as a backup for the Eagles and his postseason experience is another nice bonus.

There are three types of backup QB.

1. Someone who can fill in for a few games to keep you in the playoff hunt.
2. A rookie contract to develop into 1. with the potential to develop into an asset flippable for a draft pick.
3. Shit ones.

Since we've only just got Trubisky a 1 is more likely than a 2. Sanchez could be such a player for a year or two and in that time it'd be good to line up a 2.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

BabyBear
Journeyman

malk wrote:I've totally come around on Sanchez. I pretty much hated him as a #3, an expensive coach that counts against the cap. As a #2 I love him. The coaching aspect is a nice bonus, he did a decent job as a backup for the Eagles and his postseason experience is another nice bonus.

2. A rookie contract to develop into 1. with the potential to develop into an asset flippable for a draft pick.
3. Shit ones.

Since we've only just got Trubisky a 1 is more likely than a 2. Sanchez could be such a player for a year or two and in that time it'd be good to line up a 2.
There's a 4th kind too.

The Case Keenum's.

They're hard to find, but you're a bad team if you're not even trying to find them.
BR0D1E86
MVP

BabyBear wrote:
UOK wrote:

The ONLY reason I'd consider keeping an open mind with Sanchez is the we now have some competent offensive coaches.

Otherwise he looked bad last pre-season. And he is NOT even with McCown.

Though I suppose like McCown, he could be a late bloomer?
Mark Sanchez threw 6 passes in the preseason. I wouldn’t base much on that.
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:Mark Sanchez threw 6 passes in the preseason. I wouldn’t base much on that.
In a different offense no less.
UOK
Site Admin

Chase Daniel's thrown something like 9 passes in 6 years, and has barely been hit in his career. He's the quintessential backup.
malk
Head Coach

BabyBear wrote:
malk wrote:I've totally come around on Sanchez. I pretty much hated him as a #3, an expensive coach that counts against the cap. As a #2 I love him. The coaching aspect is a nice bonus, he did a decent job as a backup for the Eagles and his postseason experience is another nice bonus.

3. Shit ones.

There's a 4th kind too.

The Case Keenum's.

They're hard to find, but you're a bad team if you're not even trying to find them.
Collective hallucination, the only reasonable explanation.

wab
Mod

Is anyone really going to be surprised when Keenum turns back into a pumpkin now that Shurmur is gone? He's been barely average in his career up until now.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

There are so many teams with no starter, it's hard to even identify the "backup" pool to evaluate vs our system
xyt in the discord chats