Alshon says Bears didn't want him

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Wounded Bear
MVP

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:The Bears wanted him at the price the were willing to pay. Alshon went to the Eagles on a one year deal for basically less money. So for him to say the Eagles wanted him more was a bit disingenuous.
He's just an asshole, basically.
Well, I don't hate him for it since if I was a player I would take less cash to play on a championship caliber team versus playing for a perennial loser which has a messy locker room culture. Let's remember that Alshon only knew a Bears team with Jay Cutler as QB and whether it was Jay's fault or not, I get the feeling that some guys didn't like him and it created dissension in the locker room.

I have zero interest in turning this thread into a Jay Cutler bashing thread, but if we're to be honest, some guys just didn't like him and it seemed to make going to work for some of those dudes not that pleasurable. So leaving the Bears for Alshon (and I don't think Alshon had a problem with Jay), may have been more of an attraction to a locker room environment that operates with much more symbiosis and success.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
UOK
Site Admin

Wounded Bear wrote: I have zero interest in turning this thread into a Jay Cutler bashing thread, but if we're to be honest, some guys just didn't like him and it seemed to make going to work for some of those dudes not that pleasurable. So leaving the Bears for Alshon (and I don't think Alshon had a problem with Jay), may have been more of an attraction to a locker room environment that operates with much more symbiosis and success.
That's a very, ah, forced comparison, if you ask me.

I think Alshon wanted to go where he could succeed in his prime, in addition to getting paid. Alshon lost faith in the organization - which makes sense if you consider that he was part of the Bears Emery/Trestman collapse, they traded his mentor in Marshall, and with the timeline laid out for the rebuild, Alshon would (plausibly) be at the tail end of his career by the time the team got their shit together.

If he had lingered just one more year, I think with the addition of Nagy and Trubisky, Alshon would've stayed. As it turned out he left a year or two early. I believe it'll work out in the end, as he's getting what he wanted (shot at a title in his prime) and the Bears aren't saddled with a grumpy player on a bad contract.

----

Cutler's ability to divide a locker room is obviously a carpet so repeatedly trod that it's now threadbare, but to say ambiguously that "guys didn't like him"/etc doesn't add up. I've heard nothing of substance about teammates disliking him, other than one or two disgruntled guys who didn't identify with Jay's sourpuss variety of leadership. Lots of players went so far as to defend him mightily. Coaches and the media, on the other hand, well...

Either way, let's try not to muddy the waters of Alshon's departure by sprinkling some Cutlerian seasoning into the mix.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

The only thing I'll add to the comments and it could go in the Kyle Fuller thread as well is IF Pace intends to build this team through the draft. He actually needs to resign some of the talent that's drafted. You don't get enough picks to just replace talent you got right, and the ones you got wrong. This offseason will partly answer the question, but how long is he going to sit on that pile of money not using all of the cap, yet still letting players get away.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Rakshir wrote:The only thing I'll add to the comments and it could go in the Kyle Fuller thread as well is IF Pace intends to build this team through the draft. He actually needs to resign some of the talent that's drafted. You don't get enough picks to just replace talent you got right, and the ones you got wrong. This offseason will partly answer the question, but how long is he going to sit on that pile of money not using all of the cap, yet still letting players get away.

I'm thinking he knew Fox was history so simply sat on the $$$ rather than spend on guys the new coach might not want

as a result, Nagy comes in with a higher spending limit on his shopping wish list, and if he and Pace use it all wisely between the draft and free agency, there is no reason why the Bears can't have a 1 season turn around

that's my hope anyway
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Boris13c wrote:
Rakshir wrote:The only thing I'll add to the comments and it could go in the Kyle Fuller thread as well is IF Pace intends to build this team through the draft. He actually needs to resign some of the talent that's drafted. You don't get enough picks to just replace talent you got right, and the ones you got wrong. This offseason will partly answer the question, but how long is he going to sit on that pile of money not using all of the cap, yet still letting players get away.

I'm thinking he knew Fox was history so simply sat on the $$$ rather than spend on guys the new coach might not want

as a result, Nagy comes in with a higher spending limit on his shopping wish list, and if he and Pace use it all wisely between the draft and free agency, there is no reason why the Bears can't have a 1 season turn around

that's my hope anyway
I hope that's the plan as well. I don't want to mortage the future with some silly contracts either but as somebody else said. All these one year contracts hurt in a way, because if we get a hit. We got to pay them the next year.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Meh.

I don't miss Alshon. In fact if we had him we wouldn't be in as favorable of a cap situation that we are and all that money would be tied up on a WR that isn't even a #1.
malk
Head Coach

I'd rather have had him than Glennon this year...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I'd rather have had him than Glennon this year...
Once again you and I are lockstep
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
GSH
MVP

oh yay another thread about alshon
Wounded Bear
MVP

UOK wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote: I have zero interest in turning this thread into a Jay Cutler bashing thread, but if we're to be honest, some guys just didn't like him and it seemed to make going to work for some of those dudes not that pleasurable. So leaving the Bears for Alshon (and I don't think Alshon had a problem with Jay), may have been more of an attraction to a locker room environment that operates with much more symbiosis and success.

I think Alshon wanted to go where he could succeed in his prime, in addition to getting paid. Alshon lost faith in the organization - which makes sense if you consider that he was part of the Bears Emery/Trestman collapse, they traded his mentor in Marshall, and with the timeline laid out for the rebuild, Alshon would (plausibly) be at the tail end of his career by the time the team got their shit together.

If he had lingered just one more year, I think with the addition of Nagy and Trubisky, Alshon would've stayed. As it turned out he left a year or two early. I believe it'll work out in the end, as he's getting what he wanted (shot at a title in his prime) and the Bears aren't saddled with a grumpy player on a bad contract.
Yeah, I think those are contributing factors as well.
UOK wrote: Cutler's ability to divide a locker room is obviously a carpet so repeatedly trod that it's now threadbare, but to say ambiguously that "guys didn't like him"/etc doesn't add up. I've heard nothing of substance about teammates disliking him, other than one or two disgruntled guys who didn't identify with Jay's sourpuss variety of leadership. Lots of players went so far as to defend him mightily. Coaches and the media, on the other hand, well...

Either way, let's try not to muddy the waters of Alshon's departure by sprinkling some Cutlerian seasoning into the mix.
Well, to be fair, I didn't say "guys didn't like Cutler," which makes it sound like everyone didn't like Jay and I'll acknowledge that is not true, some guys loved Jay. I think Barkley or one of the backups say he's one of the smartest QB's he knows and that Jay helped him immensely in preparing for games. However I did say "some guys just didn't like Cutler" and they are well on record saying as much.

So I think your reasons are certainly valid, but I believe that situations are often complicated and there are a myriad of reasons why people make decisions for doing what they do. If I left you with the impression that the Jay factor was the only reason why, then I apologize, even I don't believe that is true.

So let me put it this way, I get the feeling that the Chicago Bear locker room was unhappy. Losing played a big part in that. Fox and co. and their ineptitude played a part in the unhappy culture. But I believe the personality conflicts between the higher profile players (both sides played a part) made that locker room unhappy as well. And when you have a job with a toxic environment, it makes it very hard to drag your ass to work.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:
UOK wrote:

UOK wrote: Cutler's ability to divide a locker room is obviously a carpet so repeatedly trod that it's now threadbare, but to say ambiguously that "guys didn't like him"/etc doesn't add up. I've heard nothing of substance about teammates disliking him, other than one or two disgruntled guys who didn't identify with Jay's sourpuss variety of leadership. Lots of players went so far as to defend him mightily. Coaches and the media, on the other hand, well...

Well, to be fair, I didn't say "guys didn't like Cutler," which makes it sound like everyone didn't like Jay and I'll acknowledge that is not true, some guys loved Jay. I think Barkley or one of the backups say he's one of the smartest QB's he knows and that Jay helped him immensely in preparing for games. However I did say "some guys just didn't like Cutler" and they are well on record saying as much.

So I think your reasons are certainly valid, but I believe that situations are often complicated and there are a myriad of reasons why people make decisions for doing what they do. If I left you with the impression that the Jay factor was the only reason why, then I apologize, even I don't believe that is true.

So let me put it this way, I get the feeling that the Chicago Bear locker room was unhappy. Losing played a big part in that. Fox and co. and their ineptitude played a part in the unhappy culture. But I believe the personality conflicts between the higher profile players (both sides played a part) made that locker room unhappy as well. And when you have a job with a toxic environment, it makes it very hard to drag your ass to work.

stop brown nosing so much
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Richie
MVP

And for the price-tag he carried... they were right.
Wounded Bear
MVP

pus wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:
UOK wrote:

stop brown nosing so much
Hmmm. I like your style.

I'll try to engage you on a higher plane instead responding in kind. If I was brown-nosing, I just would have dropped it and not responded at all even after feeling that my words and my intentions were badly misinterpreted. The fact of the matter is bringing up "the name" can blow up an entire thread, so in a desperate attempt not to do so, I am extremely careful in addressing this "3rd rail issue" because my goal isn't to piss people off, but to make what I believe to be a valid point. If you equate being respectful to brown-nosing, then we come from different worlds.

BTW, everything I said in my post is how I honestly see it. The last few years the Chicago Bears locker room has had turmoil. Pace has addressed many of those issues and as I recall many players were shipped out of town. But the turmoil goes well beyond just players, so I stand by what I posted because, although I didn't hear of player meetings or bitch sessions like I did in the past, people were not happy and that seemed to fall on the coaching staff. So now, Pace addressed that issue this offseason.

So tell me something, did Jay have anything to do with that because as far as I know he was well over a 1000 miles away. So there are other problems. And my post said that. All legit reasons why Alshon may not want to return to that environment, but if he did come back, he wanted to be paid more money.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote:
pus wrote: stop brown nosing so much
Hmmm. I like your style.

I'll try to engage you on a higher plane instead responding in kind. If I was brown-nosing, I just would have dropped it and not responded at all even after feeling that my words and my intentions were badly misinterpreted. The fact of the matter is bringing up "the name" can blow up an entire thread, so in a desperate attempt not to do so, I am extremely careful in addressing this "3rd rail issue" because my goal isn't to piss people off, but to make what I believe to be a valid point. If you equate being respectful to brown-nosing, then we come from different worlds.
:oops:

didn't mean to be as offensive as that came across - my bad for going off half-cocked there - I think the voices are going away for now so maybe that will help
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Wounded Bear
MVP

I was being annoyingly over careful. I get it.

You're cool.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Umbali
MVP

On the flip side, one of the reasons the Bears wouldnt pony up for him was because of his soft tissue injuries right? With this teams S&C staff....and all the other huge collections of injuries have its almost easy to see the Bears created a reason why to not pony up lol.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Wounded Bear
MVP

I have zero problem with Pace getting rid of both Forte and Alshon at the time he did. Looking at Alshon's numbers 57 catches for 789 yards with Carson Wentz throwing the ball to you for most of the season, there is no way he is worth the money he was asking. That's C+ production at best.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Umbali
MVP

I would rather have a stout offensive line with medium talent WRs. You can have Antonio Brown but if you arent protected, good luck. Alshon wouldnt have changed the course of this season, so in that regards it would have been wasted money this year, and of course if he was here he would have been hit by our injury curse anyway lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
docc
Head Coach

..and a Great catch by Alshon for a TD.. Went up high and did what he does..
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah... that Alshon guy? We don't need him here at all.

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
BR0D1E86
MVP

He’s got three catches. One was real nice. He’s a decent wide receiver. He’s getting completely shut down by Gilmore though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

There is nothing Alshon can do for some people to give him any respect.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He's a Super Bowl champ now. Not sure any of his former teammates will be able to say that. he made some plays tonight.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

He made some plays, until their top corner took him out of the game, but then aguilar was opened up.

Congrats to him for winning a SB.

Screw him otherwise, he aint on the bears.
Wounded Bear
MVP

staleystarch wrote:There is nothing Alshon can do for some people to give him any respect.
I love the way he plays, I just didn't like that he was perennially injured.

And a guy who plays partial seasons and still demands top dollar, that don't work.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I guess I can't blame the guy for hopping a faster ride on the gravy train. The players have to maximize their careers from a financial standpoint, etc.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:He’s got three catches. One was real nice. He’s a decent wide receiver. He’s getting completely shut down by Gilmore though.

there's alot of handwringing over the benching of malcolm butler today, and more than anything i'm surprised when they put gilmore on alshon and agholor started tearing it up that they didnt bring in butler over rowe.

i'll accept that rowe being taller was why they had him covering alshon, but when that didnt work out they probably should have been more flexible?
BR0D1E86
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:He’s got three catches. One was real nice. He’s a decent wide receiver. He’s getting completely shut down by Gilmore though.

there's alot of handwringing over the benching of malcolm butler today, and more than anything i'm surprised when they put gilmore on alshon and agholor started tearing it up that they didnt bring in butler over rowe.

i'll accept that rowe being taller was why they had him covering alshon, but when that didnt work out they probably should have been more flexible?
Who knows why hoodie does anything?

As for Alshon, I've got nothing against him. He didn't think the Bears were going to get it together and wanted out. I'd personally have franchised him, because he would have been our best wide receiver last year by a wide margin. He's paid like a #1 receiver though, and he's never been one. If your cap can sustain paying him like that, fine.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:

Who knows why hoodie does anything?

As for Alshon, I've got nothing against him. He didn't think the Bears were going to get it together and wanted out. I'd personally have franchised him, because he would have been our best wide receiver last year by a wide margin. He's paid like a #1 receiver though, and he's never been one. If your cap can sustain paying him like that, fine.

well, that's the thing ... the Bears could have afforded him and no doubt he would have helped Trubisky ... but it didn't play out that way

I'm happy he got a ring out of his move
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

omg i forgot they extended jeffery already. i'm an embarrassment.
Last edited by Rusty Trombagent on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.