Update: Brian Urlacher is Bears 28th Hall of Famer

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Richie
MVP

They just showed a clip on NFL Network of Dan Pompei debating the case for Urlacher in front of the committee.

I think he's a first ballot HOF guy... but this class has a lot of big names. Makes me a tad uneasy.
G08
Hall of Famer

It's him or Lewis. I hope Pompei pushes the "class act and model teammate/citizen" angle hard
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:It's him or Lewis. I hope Pompei pushes the "class act and model teammate/citizen" angle hard
Can't be both?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
CrownMyAss
Rookie

Yeah, have a hard time believing it can't be both. Urlacher and Lewis were always easily 1/2 or 1a/1b in the league during their reign of terror. Of course, Lewis has more of the bling, but also is marred in controversy, while Urlacher is far more underrated.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Both can get in and both deserve to be first ballot.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:It's him or Lewis. I hope Pompei pushes the "class act and model teammate/citizen" angle hard
i hope bas rutten isnt a voter!
malk
Head Coach

Richie wrote:They just showed a clip on NFL Network of Dan Pompei debating the case for Urlacher in front of the committee.

I think he's a first ballot HOF guy... but this class has a lot of big names. Makes me a tad uneasy.
Lewis, Urlacher, Moss, Faneca should be the leaders, James or Owens next. Not sure anyone else really has a case this year?

EDIT: Though I don't think Urlacher is getting in this year. Politics will deem him "not a 1st ballot" player and ignore him for that reason.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

No question he belongs.

I don't follow HoF stuff all that closely, but seems like an awfully good class this year, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
malk
Head Coach

"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Middleguard
MVP

Quite right.
Umbali
MVP

NICE!!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
malk
Head Coach

Whilst we're discussing this, why on earth didn't he get any DPOY love in 2007? I know the defence overall was average but that was Urlacher's best statistical season.

Also, forgot that Washington offered to swap 1st rounders with us for Briggs that year. Patrick Willis would have been a nice replacement, AP wouldn't have been terrible either!

Richie
MVP

He's in!
Umbali
MVP

DILLY DILLY!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
FaithInCutler
MVP

Is it true?!
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's official! Urlacher is a Hall of Famer!
GSH
MVP

my bears helmet signed by urlacher just went up in value nicely then :D

some douche on my facebook feed saying ' brian urlacher is NOT hall of fame'...ok playa, 7 pro-bowls and a trip to the superbowl, dominant in his position...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
i hope bas rutten isnt a voter!

That shit is funny.

https://youtu.be/WGDFr-BXp0I

And some Bas Kos for good measure

https://youtu.be/WGDFr-BXp0I

Congrats Urlacher
docc
Head Coach

Urlacher the Linebacker !!
HOF deserved..
George..Butkus..Singelterry..Urlacher
Loved watching them all destroy !
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Dilly Dllly!

(Hat tip to Umbali.)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
marlin
Practice Squad

Congrats to Brian. Not many people can claim to have literally revolutionized the position they were playing. It's a shame his last few years hurt his overall reputation, but considering he played 13 years, I think he deserves putting those final years in that context. Urlacher got hurt in his 10th season and missed the whole year. If Brian had just retired after his 9th year like Butkus did, not a single person would be questioning whether Brian was a first ballot HoF'er.

It helps his rep, as the "quarterback of the D", that the Bears overall D was bad before he became a Bear, and historically terrible after he left, but a powerhouse most of the years he played, and at worst, rarely even below average. Checking out the stats, both of the years the Bears' D was below average was during Brian's first 4 years--that's defining average as a rank between 12-21 in the league...and one of those years, their rank was only 22, so only barely below average. Imagine what the Bears could've accomplished if they hadn't had 17 QBs throughout Urlacher's career.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

LOL, he had a "do not disturb" sign on his door when the hall of fame came a knocking.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

marlin wrote:Congrats to Brian. Not many people can claim to have literally revolutionized the position they were playing. It's a shame his last few years hurt his overall reputation, but considering he played 13 years, I think he deserves putting those final years in that context. Urlacher got hurt in his 10th season and missed the whole year. If Brian had just retired after his 9th year like Butkus did, not a single person would be questioning whether Brian was a first ballot HoF'er.

It helps his rep, as the "quarterback of the D", that the Bears overall D was bad before he became a Bear, and historically terrible after he left, but a powerhouse most of the years he played, and at worst, rarely even below average. Checking out the stats, both of the years the Bears' D was below average was during Brian's first 4 years--that's defining average as a rank between 12-21 in the league...and one of those years, their rank was only 22, so only barely below average. Imagine what the Bears could've accomplished if they hadn't had 17 QBs throughout Urlacher's career.
I remember when they drafted him. Part of me thought Hatley was nuts taking a safety and converting to MLB. Wow was I wrong. I loved watching him play and if the Bears had even an average QB in 2006 he'd have his Super Bowl victory.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Very happy for him. One thing you knew about Urlacher in his prime. He was going to bring it, every single Sunday. His combination of size and speed was, and still is, so rare at the LB position. Congrats Brian!!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
marlin wrote:Congrats to Brian. Not many people can claim to have literally revolutionized the position they were playing. It's a shame his last few years hurt his overall reputation, but considering he played 13 years, I think he deserves putting those final years in that context. Urlacher got hurt in his 10th season and missed the whole year. If Brian had just retired after his 9th year like Butkus did, not a single person would be questioning whether Brian was a first ballot HoF'er.

I remember when they drafted him. Part of me thought Hatley was nuts taking a safety and converting to MLB. Wow was I wrong. I loved watching him play and if the Bears had even an average QB in 2006 he'd have his Super Bowl victory.
I was a huge draftnik back then and remember feeling somewhat the same way. I hated the Urlacher idea for most of the pre-draft and then came around to be OK with it about the last week before the draft, simply due to his outrageous measurables. I figured the worst case scenario was we'd move him to safety and he'd be the biggest safety ever who would occasionally kill people over the middle. And please anyone besides Plax Burress.
:rofl:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html

It's official! Urlacher is a Hall of Famer!

:thumbsup: :toast: :clap:

well deserved, and now in his rightful place with those that have gone before him :

Bill George - HoF Class of 1974

Dick Butkus - HoF Class of 1979

Mike Singletary - HoF Class of 1998

congratulations to him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Funkster
MVP

Lach played the game like a true football player. He bought into a system that eventually paved his way to the HOF. He played prepared and brought the physicality needed to be a great Bears MLB. Now his name will forever be right along side with the great Bears LBers! Congratulations Urlacher.

I bet him being enshrined didn't hurt my autographed matted, framed with COA jersey either :D
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:I bet him being enshrined didn't hurt my autographed matted, framed with COA jersey either :D
Ha ha, I went and grabbed the autographed helmet that was sitting on my kid's dresser and put it up in the closet.
WagonForce
MVP

I loved watching Brian play, and am very happy for him to be honored in the HoF.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Bas Rutton laughs at this.