Harry Hiestand and the Notre Dame Connection

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearDown333
Rookie

Wounded Bear wrote: Long is having 3 surgeries this offseason I think I read on this board? Sitton is near his expiration date. We need to protect Trubisky.
Yup Sitton is getting older and yeah Long has been banged up a lot. Whether we address our O line in the first round of the draft or not, we need to build depth. An injury or two and our O line could run into some issues. Sure, Trubisky is a mobile QB and his athleticism allows him to escape trouble when protection breaks down... but he was still sacked 31 times this season and Glennon took 8 during his tenure. Clearly we have a lot of needs as a team, but depth at OL would help Trus confidence and help him develop into the QB we all hope he becomes.
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Mikefive wrote: 2. You don't draft OGs in the top 10.
i get this, and it seems like the few who were drafted that high and remained at guard were not at all worth it, BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, Nelson/Whitehair/Long could be an incredible interior. When the Cowboys were tearing things up last year and everyone was like "GOD DAMN THAT'S HOW YOU BUILD AN OFFENSIVE LINE" making offensive rookie of the year dak prescott look like the saviest pick ever... everyone wants that, but then every time the draft rolls around everyone explains away not taking offensive lineman that high.
But Dallas didn't win anything and dropped to 9-7 this year. Prescott started throwing a normal amount of interceptions and Elliot's ypc dropped back to 4.1.

Now maybe 2017 was the aberration and they bounce back but perhaps it was 2016...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Umbali
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Richie wrote:
Umbali wrote:Pace has shown he values things differently. If he wants you , he will over reach to get you.
How so? His whole philosophy has been "best player available". Which is the exact opposite of "reaching". I don't think I really recall a reach, to be honest. Maybe something in the middle rounds... but... he's been pretty vocal about not reaching.
i think what umbali means is that pace has never been afraid to take who he wants where he wants, "experts" be damned. dont act like when mitch was taken after trading up to two, everyone wasnt like "are you shitting me, he would have been there at three."

absolute same with small school adam shaheen, absolute same with tarik cohen.

This is what I meant. I think with drafts being so subjective, Pace is willing to go with his beliefs versus the dozens of draftnicks. Not saying its right or wrong....its clearly right when he hits and easy to criticize when he is wrong.

Heres the deal though, he gambles putting his job on the line. His gambles only effect us in regards to how it effects our team. I dont have any issue thus far with Paces drafts.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wab
Mod

Heistand developed those guys at ND. That’s why he was hired. To develop guys. He doesn’t necessarily have to have the guys he already coached.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Heistand developed those guys at ND. That’s why he was hired. To develop guys. He doesn’t necessarily have to have the guys he already coached.
Bingo. Get him involved in the draft process, have him identify kids whose traits he loves, and then draft those dudes in rounds 4-7 in this draft.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Heistand developed those guys at ND. That’s why he was hired. To develop guys. He doesn’t necessarily have to have the guys he already coached.
Bingo. Get him involved in the draft process, have him identify kids whose traits he loves, and then draft those dudes in rounds 4-7 in this draft.
If he developed normal guys, fine then, don't draft them. But Nelson is a once in a decade OG. Given the state of our OG's, you have to take this guy.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
If he developed normal guys, fine then, don't draft them. But Nelson is a once in a decade OG. Given the state of our OG's, you have to take this guy.
I don't agree, but I'm largely against taking OGs in the top 10. I don't care if he's All-World, he's still a freaking guard to me. You can find those dudes anywhere and have success.

At pick 8 I want a QB, LT, pass rusher or corner.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
I don't agree, but I'm largely against taking OGs in the top 10. I don't care if he's All-World, he's still a freaking guard to me. You can find those dudes anywhere and have success.

Any game changer is fine! If that's an ILB, safety, DE, DT, WR, TE etc. Can guards be game changers? I'm not so sure.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

Any game changer is fine! If that's an ILB, safety, DE, DT, WR, TE etc. Can guards be game changers? I'm not so sure.
They literally can't.

wab
Mod

I’ve always got a big Notre Dame boner around here, so I’m a huge fan of Nelson. I just think Heistand was hired by the Bears so they DON’T have to take a Nelson at 8. He’s with the Bears so they can develop their own Nelson. But that’s just my opinion.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I’ve always got a big Notre Dame boner around here
And, to be fair, it's like a solid 2.5"

:D

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:

Like Eye of Round; pure steaky chode.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:

One man's 2.5 is another man's Dirk Diggler.
malk
Head Coach

bleacherreport.com/articles/2755359-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-right-tackles-of-2017-season

www.thetenyardline.com/2018/02/06/bobby-massie-ranks-out-far-better-than-expected-and-could-be-due-for-a-breakout-in-2018/

Didn't know where else to put this, Massie getting some love. Another indication that the fanbase has internalised his early play and struggles to change their opinion.

Could have had more help from RG and has Hiestand coming in to coach him. He might even get an extension next year...

EDIT: Also ranks higher than Wagner who I had in my last offseason plan.

wab
Mod

malk wrote:bleacherreport.com/articles/2755359-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-right-tackles-of-2017-season

www.thetenyardline.com/2018/02/06/bobby-massie-ranks-out-far-better-than-expected-and-could-be-due-for-a-breakout-in-2018/

Didn't know where else to put this, Massie getting some love. Another indication that the fanbase has internalised his early play and struggles to change their opinion.

Could have had more help from RG and has Hiestand coming in to coach him. He might even get an extension next year...

EDIT: Also ranks higher than Wagner who I had in my last offseason plan.
No one listens to me :)
G08
Hall of Famer

Someone say something?

:lol: