Former Bears QB Shane Matthews hits rock bottom

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Former Florida Gators defensive back Monty Grow, who played three years in the NFL, is facing up to 20 years in prison for a massive health care fraud scandal that included “swindling millions from a federal program that provides medical insurance for the U.S. military,” according to the Miami Herald‘s Jay Weaver.

That total is nearly $20 million, according to the Herald, which reports the 46-year-old Grow was immediately taken into custody upon the guilty verdict being read Monday at the conclusion of his six-day trial; he will be formally sentenced on April 16. Grow was previously arrested for child abuse after locking his 3-year-old girl in a car while entering a strip club in Tampa back in 2013.

Wrapped up in the scandal, deemed a “pyramid scheme” by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin Larsen in court, is former Florida quarterback Shane Matthews, who has already received a three-month prison sentence “for his bit role working for Grow’s marketing company,” per the Herald.

Matthews, 47, a 14-year NFL veteran, received $440,000 as a member of Grow’s independent marketing team. It is unknown whether Matthews will be forced to serve his full sentence.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well that sucks ... he appears to be only a bit player in a very big case, but still, not good
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I hated Tricare when i had it. I used ot once and had to drive an hour to use an approved dentist. The wife and kids had a bunch of issues.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Just to be a pedantic dick, but the article said he was sentenced to 3 months in prison. Uh, no. He'll do 3 months in county lock up, which many believe to be worse than prison.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Sugar Shane. Wonder what happened to him.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:Just to be a pedantic dick, but the article said he was sentenced to 3 months in prison. Uh, no. He'll do 3 months in county lock up, which many believe to be worse than prison.
Yes inmates do say that. Prison has more rec time, area, canteen, activities, etc. However Matthews will probably be on house arrest with a gps.

He also gets good time. My county its given and never taken. So its not for being good at all. That's a quarter of the sentence. That's 23 days.

If he volunteered in my county you get day for a day. With 67 days left, volunteering during weekdays while on house arrest, he could cut another 30 days off spending 35-37 under supervision.
Wounded Bear
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:Just to be a pedantic dick, but the article said he was sentenced to 3 months in prison. Uh, no. He'll do 3 months in county lock up, which many believe to be worse than prison.
Yes inmates do say that. Prison has more rec time, area, canteen, activities, etc. However Matthews will probably be on house arrest with a gps.

He also gets good time. My county its given and never taken. So its not for being good at all. That's a quarter of the sentence. That's 23 days.

If he volunteered in my county you get day for a day. With 67 days left, volunteering during weekdays while on house arrest, he could cut another 30 days off spending 35-37 under supervision.
Derp. Yes, you are absolutely right, he'll probably spend $1500 on the gps and spend the 3 months at home. You sound like you've worked in the industry and know all the tricks on how he can mitigate the situation. With that said, I don't think we'll see Shane on the side of the highway picking up trash anytime soon. ;)
Neil deGrasse Tyson
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

I'm not sure this is hitting rock bottom

Rock bottom is Dave Duerson
Richie
MVP

Generally speaking... (obviously, things vary from place to place)

County = Worse day-to-day lifestyle. Small living area. Overcrowded. No going outside, or even leaving your small little pod. No "job". Just sitting in what basically amounts to giant, windowless concrete room with metal tables nailed to the ground and cells. Really, really shitty life. However, you're always close to law enforcement and it is a much smaller area to monitor.

There's going to be fights, but for the most part. It's just people waiting to get moved to one place or another. Awaiting trial, awaiting to be moved to prison... etc... There isn't necessarily the inner-politics of prison, gangs don't really form. It's mostly a bunch of individuals. If something goes down, it is an individual vs an individual. Not apart of a larger issue. If you stay to yourself, you are more than likely fine. Just uncomfortable.

Prison = Real and pressing danger. You have a job, you get to go outside, there's shit to do, you can further your education, teach a course, earn rewards (hobby materials, radio or even a TV)... but it is a big, big place. Worse people, angrier people... a lot of them have been there for a long-time, and/or will be there for a long-time. Gangs, inner-politics, rape... etc... You're walking a much thinner tight-rope.

County is a shittier existence, but prison is far more dangerous. I guess I could have simply said that.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yes Richie. Sentences less then a year you stay in the jail sentence over a year you go to a prison.
Bad Flanders
MVP

hmmmm...

so with one you probably get raped and shanked... but in the sun!

and the other you are a little less likely to be raped and shanked but you can't work on your tan....

decisions, decisions.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Shane Matthews during better days back in 2001

[video][/video]

part of the magical mystical 13-3 mirage season
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have had clients go to prison for less than a year. They got credit (day for day) while they sat in jail. It was almost a waste of time for the D.O.C. to process them since they weren't going to be in that system that long.
Wounded Bear
MVP

I don't know if this is true in other states, but in California, prior to being processed into a regular prison, you are required to go to a "junior prison" where they train you how to act and what to do when you get thrown in with the seasoned prisoners. So that's one more additional step in that process that may make it more feasible for them to keep you in a county lock-up situation.

I never knew that and found it interesting.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
malk
Head Coach

Some interesting stuff on prisons from my favourite podcast, Citations Needed https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-24-highlighting-alternative-media-the-moral-limits-of-dunking-on-thomas-friedman

I'm not going to discuss here as the board doesn't do politics but it's interesting stuff. The prison bit is the second half.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Some interesting stuff on prisons from my favourite podcast, Citations Needed https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-24-highlighting-alternative-media-the-moral-limits-of-dunking-on-thomas-friedman

I'm not going to discuss here as the board doesn't do politics but it's interesting stuff. The prison bit is the second half.
oh hell yeah i like citations needed. i've only listened to a few episodes but i like adam johnson alot.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Wow, these schemes are wide spread. The crack down even wider.

My area had a huge takedown of these and know one of the top guys involved. Actually coached with him, but haven't spoken to him in a few years. Several others that I know less so, or some that I know from around. One of the people was a doctor from her who had his wife murdered to prevent her from rating him out a few years ago. A good deal of who were involved had good public jobs. Cops, fireman and teachers. It is a big deal here. I noticed several other stories of the same fraud in other states. Looks like they must have spent tons of time putting these cases together.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Some interesting stuff on prisons from my favourite podcast, Citations Needed https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-24-highlighting-alternative-media-the-moral-limits-of-dunking-on-thomas-friedman

I find alternative media absolutely fascinating. I remember the day when you got news from ABC, NBC and CBS who all tried to ride the political fence and attract all viewers. But like cell phones, sodas and any number of other products that have multiplied to serve a variety of tastes, for better or worse, media outlets have splintered off into more editorialized broadcasts representing particular perspectives on what is happening. But since a segment of the population distrusts big corporate, news further segregates into smaller strains with still differing points of view as evidenced in the link you provided.

I didn't get far enough to know how much I'd agree or disagree with the podcast hosts/guests I heard. But it's clearly a demonstration of the amazing changes in our world's dissemination of information that are underway and evolving every day.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

Mikefive wrote:

I find alternative media absolutely fascinating. I remember the day when you got news from ABC, NBC and CBS who all tried to ride the political fence and attract all viewers. But like cell phones, sodas and any number of other products that have multiplied to serve a variety of tastes, for better or worse, media outlets have splintered off into more editorialized broadcasts representing particular perspectives on what is happening. But since a segment of the population distrusts big corporate, news further segregates into smaller strains with still differing points of view as evidenced in the link you provided.

I didn't get far enough to know how much I'd agree or disagree with the podcast hosts/guests I heard. But it's clearly a demonstration of the amazing changes in our world's dissemination of information that are underway and evolving every day.
your comment about "news" outlets editorializing is absolutely correct. editorialized so much that it's just a bunch of people sitting around and speculating or just full out making up "news." These "news" outlets do very little in offering actual news.

excellent post, sir.