Pace: Glennon will be released

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 82135370=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Although the "source" for this article is Dickerson 100% speculating, i do wonder if it caught traction because Glennon's agent wanted it to. Better to be released so he can pick his next situation, instead of traded to somewhere else and ending up on the bench?

Not that I think he's got trade value with that contract, but one never knows.
UOK
Site Admin

RustyTrubisky wrote:Although the "source" for this article is Dickerson 100% speculating, i do wonder if it caught traction because Glennon's agent wanted it to. Better to be released so he can pick his next situation, instead of traded to somewhere else and ending up on the bench?

Yeah, that pissed me off not long after I checked the page. Speculative horseshit.
Funkster
MVP

Speculation yes, but we all saw this coming. The way his contract was set up, Pace had his plan set from the jump. We all knew the Bears could move on from Glennon after year 1 and create a significant plus towards the cap. Glennon didn't really do much for the Bears, maybe some smoke and mirrors to draft TRU. Best wishes and good luck on your next team.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I don't know about getting PO'd about it. It's wasted energy. Obviously, we all want reports to be actual news. But in this case, it's not like there's one person on earth who will be surprised when it happens--whenever it happens.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Wounded Bear
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:Better to be released so he can pick his next situation, instead of traded to somewhere else and ending up on the bench?
I don't think there's a situation in the NFL where he doesn't end up on the bench. It's tough to imagine him even as a back-up.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
G08
Hall of Famer

I'll be surprised if he's not a backup somewhere.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I'll be surprised if he's not a backup somewhere.
Exactly, the QB situation in the NFL is terrible, there is no depth. He has starting experience, is healthy and physically has a throwing arm. Someone will sign him to be at least a back up.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am waiting for the fateful days to come where we hear tales of the bidding war that transpired for this downtrodden wounded giraffe of a QB

I'm sure he'll be ok regardless of what amount is eventually ponied up since he is realistically set for life just from his Bears contract
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

he didn't exactly have the greatest tools at his disposal....either wide receivers or an oc.
Umbali
MVP

MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:he didn't exactly have the greatest tools at his disposal....either wide receivers or an oc.
Not having WRs to throw to doesnt make you run around like a baby giraffe...I could have done that ( looking like a hippo not a giraffe..)
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

Umbali wrote:
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:he didn't exactly have the greatest tools at his disposal....either wide receivers or an oc.
Not having WRs to throw to doesnt make you run around like a baby giraffe...I could have done that ( looking like a hippo not a giraffe..)

lol! you're more of a "round mound of touchdown" type, eh?

when you put it that way, i can't see him doing much with any team even as a backup. you want to feel your backup can win at least a couple of games. after watching him last year, i don't feel he could do that even with the eagles supporting cast.
GSH
MVP

talking of mike glennon, anyone seen that Ritual show ( hbo or netflix, forget which ) and episode 1 focusses on NFL players pre-game rituals ( Glennon being one of them ) and packers and bears fans?

It kinda made me dislike glennon more to be honest, dudes a total wet blanket
Richie
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:Better to be released so he can pick his next situation, instead of traded to somewhere else and ending up on the bench?
I don't think there's a situation in the NFL where he doesn't end up on the bench. It's tough to imagine him even as a back-up.
He'll be a backup, IMO.

Things were ugly here, but I think that most staffs will realize that the circumstances weren't exactly ideal and that his numbers prior to 2017 were better than the majority of career backups with a similar sample size.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:Although the "source" for this article is Dickerson 100% speculating, i do wonder if it caught traction because Glennon's agent wanted it to. Better to be released so he can pick his next situation, instead of traded to somewhere else and ending up on the bench?

Yeah, that pissed me off not long after I checked the page. Speculative horseshit.
Right, and it's a whole long article of speculative bullshit, but for some reason they chose to report on Glennon. Just seems strange to me.
UOK
Site Admin

@markgrotesports

Bears will release Mike Glennon in mid March. Once the new league year begins.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think we all saw this coming as well...good stuff.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

In other news world scientists have announced that water is wet.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

That didn't force him to screw up the count, and then punt the ball to the secondary.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

while it may be true he was not necessarily set up for success, it was his own play and v-e-r-r-r-y-y s-l-l-o-o-w-w-w decision making once the ball was snapped that led to his failure

I understand Pace taking a shot ... on paper, it looked like a possible positive (though I still question the $$$ amount) ... and Glennon did have some nice tape from some of his games as a Buc ... he just seemed out of place in the Bears offense
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IotaNet
MVP

Boris13c wrote: ... I understand Pace taking a shot ... on paper, it looked like a possible positive (though I still question the $$$ amount) ...
I'm the last person to ever play armchair General Manager but why do people get upset about the size of Glennon's contract?

1) I never read that the bears cheaped-out on any FA offers last year, so Glennon's money had no negative effects.

2) IIRC, last year, the Bears had money that HAD to be spent so again, Glennon's money didn't hamstring them in any way. (Feel free to check me on this one -- again, I'm not a cap expert by any means.)

Bottom line (in my mind), the Bears needed a stopgap QB, they paid Glennon starter money -- on a team-friendly contract. Glennon crapped out, the Bears are moving on with Trubisky. Which is what we expected to happen all along -- no matter what happened, short of a Super bowl, Glennon was never a long-term solution here.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
malk
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote:
Boris13c wrote: ... I understand Pace taking a shot ... on paper, it looked like a possible positive (though I still question the $$$ amount) ...
I'm the last person to ever play armchair General Manager but why do people get upset about the size of Glennon's contract?

1) I never read that the bears cheaped-out on any FA offers last year, so Glennon's money had no negative effects.

2) IIRC, last year, the Bears had money that HAD to be spent so again, Glennon's money didn't hamstring them in any way. (Feel free to check me on this one -- again, I'm not a cap expert by any means.)

Bottom line (in my mind), the Bears needed a stopgap QB, they paid Glennon starter money -- on a team-friendly contract. Glennon crapped out, the Bears are moving on with Trubisky. Which is what we expected to happen all along -- no matter what happened, short of a Super bowl, Glennon was never a long-term solution here.
Opportunity cost! For the love of God and al that is holy, opportunity cost!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
IotaNet
MVP

malk wrote: ... Opportunity cost! For the love of God and al that is holy, opportunity cost!
What opportunity cost? I'm a businessman so I am familiar with the concept of "opportunity cost" -- but where was the "lost opportunity" in signing Glennon?

We needed a bridge QB and we got one. We were going to need one no matter what so the demand was fixed. A cheaper quarterback wouldn't have given us any more flexibility because we already had money to spare. Pace wanted to spend more but some of the better (and pricier) FA's didn't want to come here.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
malk wrote: ... Opportunity cost! For the love of God and al that is holy, opportunity cost!
What opportunity cost? I'm a businessman so I am familiar with the concept of "opportunity cost" -- but where was the "lost opportunity" in signing Glennon?

We needed a bridge QB and we got one. We were going to need one no matter what so the demand was fixed. A cheaper quarterback wouldn't have given us any more flexibility because we already had money to spare. Pace wanted to spend more but some of the better (and pricier) FA's didn't want to come here.
We didn't need one at $15M and obviously there's an opportunity cost when you're talking an incremental $5 - $8M or so between Glennon and somebody else. That money could've been spent on other FAs or front loading contract extensions.
wab
Mod

The Bears are not really financially worse off for the Glennon signing. It didn't hurt them in the lease by signing him honestly.

And this silly notion that they couldn't bring in other FA's because of the money they gave Glennon is just that...silly.

They offered guys above market deals and they were turned down.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Did anyone consider the reason why glennon got what he did from the bears is because he knew it was essentially a one year deal and to get it set up that way it cost the bears a little more?

Would anyone feel better if it was a 10 million a year contract, but had more bonus money so they were essentially stuck with him or the cap hit for another 10 million this season.

It wasn't only that it was starter money, it was the money it required to get him to sign a deal like that. It was his opportunity to try to prove he was a starter and the bears opportunity to have a 1 year stopgap with at least some potential to trade if he panned out at all or cut if he didn't.
docc
Head Coach

..I am not happy until it is DONE...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then he goes to the trash heap of dung
nor just Quinn, Burris, Moreno, Krenzel, McNown, Krieg, and FUCKING RICK MIRER and other unnamed anus sucking waistoids..
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Damnit I just ordered my Glennon comeback player of the year plaque
GSH
MVP

good, onwards.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:Did anyone consider the reason why glennon got what he did from the bears is because he knew it was essentially a one year deal and to get it set up that way it cost the bears a little more?

Would anyone feel better if it was a 10 million a year contract, but had more bonus money so they were essentially stuck with him or the cap hit for another 10 million this season.

It wasn't only that it was starter money, it was the money it required to get him to sign a deal like that. It was his opportunity to try to prove he was a starter and the bears opportunity to have a 1 year stopgap with at least some potential to trade if he panned out at all or cut if he didn't.
That's a good point that I really hadn't considered. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.