Bears hire new Athletic Trainer and Strength Coach

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Bears hire Andre Tucker as head athletic trainer, Jason Loscalzo as strength coach

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loscalzo was the head strength and conditioning coach at Washington State for the last six years.

Tucker has 15 years of experience in the NFL and comes to the Bears from the Browns. He was the assistant head athletic trainer in Cleveland for the last eight seasons from 2010 through 2017.
UOK
Site Admin

Not sure how the Browns have fared with injuries over the last decade.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Not sure how the Browns have fared with injuries over the last decade.
I dont think there's really anything too meaningful we can take from this hire right now, but I did see this on PFT this morning:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... p-in-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt Ryan one of four non-OL to play every snap in 2017

The NFL’s longest active consecutive snap streak came to an end when Browns left tackle Joe Thomas tore his triceps in the seventh game of the regular season, but there are 32 players who will head into 2018 riding streaks of their own.

Five of those players were Thomas’ teammates in 2017. Guards Joel Bitonio and Kevin Zeitler joined center J.C. Tretter in keeping the iron man tradition alive on the Cleveland offensive line while linebackers Christian Kirksey and Joe Schobert took part in every defensive play for the Browns.

There were only two other non-offensive linemen to join them in accomplishing that feat. Jets linebacker Demario Davis, who played for the Browns in 2016, and Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan were the others. Ryan won the MVP in 2016 while playing all but 21 snaps for Atlanta.

Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com points out that four quarterbacks played every snap in 2016, including Drew Brees of the Saints. Brees missed five snaps during the 2017 season and has played the most snaps of any player in the league over the last five seasons.
G08
Hall of Famer

We seem to love the Browns huh...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Funkster
MVP

Just talked to my dude that played safety for WSU, he said Jason is legit and will have the defense conditioned to play all 4 quarters. I'm trying to keep my excitement down but everything is looking up and I'm getting pumped for this season!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:Just talked to my dude that played safety for WSU, he said Jason is legit and will have the defense conditioned to play all 4 quarters. I'm trying to keep my excitement down but everything is looking up and I'm getting pumped for this season!
Sweet -- Thanks for the insider info!

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

PULLMAN – Head Washington State strength and conditioning coach Jason Loscalzo has reportedly taken a job with the NFL’s Chicago Bears, a source close to the program told The Spokesman-Review. The news was first reported by FootballScoop.com.

Loscalzo, who’s been with the Cougars since Mike Leach’s first season in Pullman, will work in the same capacity with the Bears. Loscalzo replaces former Chicago strength coach Jason George, who was informed last month by the club he wouldn’t be returning for a fourth season.

The sixth-year WSU assistant has overseen all aspects of the development, coordination, implementation and supervision of the strength and conditioning program for the Cougar football program.

During his tenure at WSU, Loscalzo was highly-regarded by players and coaches as one of the people responsible for the Cougars’ turnaround on the gridiron. Loscalzo arrived in Pullman with Leach in 2012, as the Cougars were coming off three seasons that produced just three wins.

Loscalzo’s weight program was especially instrumental in developing WSU’s offensive line and the strength coach helped the Cougars reach their first bowl game in 10 years when they qualified for the 2013 New Mexico Bowl. WSU played in the 2015 Sun Bowl, beating Miami 20-14, then earned bids to the Holiday Bowl each of the last two seasons.

Prior to his stop at WSU, Loscalzo was the director of strength and conditioning at Boston College for five seasons. The Humboldt State alum and Cool, California, native also spent four seasons at Auburn as the top assistant strength and conditioning coach. The Tigers went to four straight bowl games, including the 2005 Sugar Bowl, and finished the ’05 season with a No. 2 ranking.

Chicago is parting ways with George after an injury-riddled 2017 season that saw 16 players land on the injured reserve. A total of 21 Chicago players were on the injured reserve the season prior. Former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy is entering his first season as the Bears’ head coach.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well. It’s not like it could get worse.

I am hoping these guys are the real deal.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

We had to make some kind of change here and we did. So i am happy. Lets hope these guys have more luck than the last group did.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

the fact that they have hung on to their jobs as long as they have should say something quite positive about their competency.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I like the hire.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Andre Tucker
- really we know nothing about the guy but hopefully he does well.

Linkden Profile

Jason Loscalzo

- looking through his Twitter he is a likable dude. With a glimpse into his work outs, I am a fan. Heavy low rep multi
Joint followed immediately by a simple explosive drill. He states something like strong is only good if it's fast. He talks about work capacity but without seeing a full workout I don't know how he exactly implements it. I love the sand pit for speed drills. He also trains grip. Until proven wrong I am a fan.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

mmmc_35 wrote:Andre Tucker
- really we know nothing about the guy but hopefully he does well.

Jason Loscalzo

- looking through his Twitter he is a likable dude. With a glimpse into his work outs, I am a fan. Heavy low rep multi
Joint followed immediately by a simple explosive drill. He states something like strong is only good if it's fast.
love this. always fan of a balance of speed and strength.
Funkster
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote: Jason Loscalzo

He states something like strong is only good if it's fast.
This is what I got from the conversation with a former player under his training. His program basically is designed to play fast, fast, fast! This hiring makes a lot of sense for an offense designed by Nagy and Helfrich.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Bad Flanders
MVP

I used to have a lady that worked for me whose brother went to WSU as a strength and conditioning coach two or three years ago. He must have worked under this guy.

I know that I saw a WSU game this year where they were winning but they came out and played a real flat series and the coaches made the team do up downs on the sidelines! LOL

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... -sideline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

I generally can't stand Mike Leach but he might have had one of the most bizarre (yet hilarious) pressers I have ever seen when a reporter told him he was going to get married :lol:

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I generally can't stand Mike Leach but he might have had one of the most bizarre (yet hilarious) pressers I have ever seen when a reporter told him he was going to get married :lol:

I've seen that and it's hilarious.
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:I generally can't stand Mike Leach but he might have had one of the most bizarre (yet hilarious) pressers I have ever seen when a reporter told him he was going to get married :lol:

I've seen that and it's hilarious.
Dude in my own experience and in talking to all my buddies that have gotten married -- 100% accurate.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
Jason Loscalzo

He states something like strong is only good if it's fast.
love this. always fan of a balance of speed and strength.
It is not revolutionary but there are a few theories on training speed and strength. Very competing literature.

The principle argument comes from can you actually change muscle fiber make up significantly. Scientific studies have shown no, yes and maybe.

So if you can improve fast twitch make up or of the old thought muscle can slow you down how do you train.

Competing thoughts on this. One is lift fast. You have possibly seem this with something like a weighted squat jump as an example. Another is primary hypertrophy training variant. polymeric training. I have heard about isometric style. Then is there is this style. Strength training with polymeric influences. This is what I subscribe to. So I am glad he does too. Granted I am an idiot so who knows.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

oh god damnit are you kidding me the colts lured rusty jones out of retirement to be their new strength coach.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:oh god damnit are you kidding me the colts lured rusty jones out of retirement to be their new strength coach.
I saw that, damnit! Dude is the best at what he does.