Bears sign CB Kyle Fuller to 4-yr $56M deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759 ... hare=other

Doesn’t really appear to be based on anything.
La Canfora wrote bringing Fuller back in 2018 would seemingly be a high priority for Chicago but that he's going to have a number of suitors in free agency and "will not be returning to Chicago," per a source.
Last edited by BR0D1E86 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

god damn gabriel is a salty bitch.

but i'm with him right now. fuckkkk offffff canfora.
Umbali
MVP

I would also NEVER bet money on what Pace will do
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
UOK
Site Admin

JLC isn't a great source, but Greg Gabriel has gotten REALLY bad the last year or so.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759 ... hare=other

Doesn’t really appear to be based on anything.
La Canfora wrote bringing Fuller back in 2018 would seemingly be a high priority for Chicago but that he's going to have a number of suitors in free agency and "will not be returning to Chicago," per a source.
I agree. The article is click bait if anything
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

NFL offseason click bait.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

well this will throw off my draft predictions significantly if fuller doesn't come back. not that my predictions have ever been that good.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:JLC isn't a great source, but Greg Gabriel has gotten REALLY bad the last year or so.
LOL. Gabriel has been having a nervous breakdown on Twitter the past few months.
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:JLC isn't a great source, but Greg Gabriel has gotten REALLY bad the last year or so.
LOL. Gabriel has been having a nervous breakdown on Twitter the past few months.
I'm embarrassed for him. He comes off as such an old, hateful crab and shits on every source not named Brad Biggs.

DaBearsBlog has pulled several big scoops this offseason and has a connection to Adam Jahns, but Gabriel basically told DBB to fuck himself twice. DBB called him out as a drunk.
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:
Adipost wrote:
I'm embarrassed for him. He comes off as such an old, hateful crab and shits on every source not named Brad Biggs.

DaBearsBlog has pulled several big scoops this offseason and has a connection to Adam Jahns, but Gabriel basically told DBB to fuck himself twice. DBB called him out as a drunk.
I could see it, most of his tweets seen alcohol induced.
GSH
MVP

having seen what happened with the fence sitting and tagging of Alshon ( which i think was still the right move if Pace had to re-do that all over again ), im firmly in the ' get a deal done with fuller, pay him and move on' camp.

Very interested to see Pace's moves in the draft this year, with the Bills and a couple other teams in need wanting to move up, Im at the stage where god only knows who Pace's man in the first round actually is.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

When I saw this "scoop" i just thought... yeah of course he's going to test the market. Hopefully Pace/Fangio have repaired the relationship to the point where he gives the Bears a chance to match other offers so he can stay.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:When I saw this "scoop" i just thought... yeah of course he's going to test the market. Hopefully Pace/Fangio have repaired the relationship to the point where he gives the Bears a chance to match other offers so he can stay.
I don't think the Bears are going to get into a bidding war for Fuller, and I think that if he hits FA he's gone.

I think they will do what they did with Jeffery...offer him a contract they feel is fair and if he gets more on the open market then so be it.

HOWEVER... If the Bears want to build a winning culture, they need to start rewarding their own players. I think Fuller is one of those guys they need to pay for, but in the end it really depends on if they think one of the guys they can get at #8 (Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Ward) is better than Fuller.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Fuller is going to be tagged or signed long term.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Greg Gabriel, consummate professional.

MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

i don't care if he's drunk. he seems to make more sense than most of these dipshits.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:having seen what happened with the fence sitting and tagging of Alshon ( which i think was still the right move if Pace had to re-do that all over again ), im firmly in the ' get a deal done with fuller, pay him and move on' camp.

Very interested to see Pace's moves in the draft this year, with the Bills and a couple other teams in need wanting to move up, Im at the stage where god only knows who Pace's man in the first round actually is.
Fuller isn't worth using the franchise tag on. He's not an elite player at his position. He's had one great year which just so happened to be a contract year. Gee imagine that. I think somebody like the 49ers or the Raiders will pay him a crap-ton of money and you'll never hear his name again. Either that or we sign him below the franchise tag price.

There are other guys out there (Butler, Gaines, etc.) in FA that if we really have to pay Fuller that kind of money, we'd be better off going after them.

I would hate being forced into a situation with the #8 pick where we have to draft somebody, but if we do there will be options to get a CB either at #8 or trade down.
wab
Mod

One of the Bears few first round picks looks like he's starting to work out, and all anyone wants to do is let him walk out the door so that they can sign a guy that another team doesn't want.

#bearsfans
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Optimally, I'd like to see Fuller go FA, see what he's worth and have him come back to us to beat the best offer. But of course, it doesn't always work out that way. Thus, I could see us throwing the freed up Mike Glennon $$$ at him via the F-tag and not be unhappy about it.

Unless you're OK with Cooper being a starter after what we saw last year, we're in the bad spot of having to get 2 starting CBs. Tagging or re-signing Fuller takes a lot of pressure off of our offseason plan. Without having Fuller in hand, our R1 pick is going to be a CB without another thought. Hell... It might be even if we DO bring Fuller back, particularly if it's via the F-tag. From a need/value perspective at 8, it makes an awful amount of sense.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

If you're saying Fuller only lit it up because it's a contract year you're completely ignoring context. And if you think he's going to stop trying once he gets his first big contract, you've got a radically different opinion of his character than I do.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Rusty:

What do you know about Fuller to make the claim about his character that we don't know?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Bears fans: I don't trust Kyle Fuller. His play has been inconsistent
Also Bears fans: Let's sign Sammy Watkins
xyt in the discord chats
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I hope we transition tag him personally unless there is a way we still lose him under that tag. I'm not familiar if all we have to do is match and he's with us or what. Worse case scenario franchise him and see him in year two of Fangio system not being hurt or in the doghouse
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:If you're saying Fuller only lit it up because it's a contract year you're completely ignoring context. And if you think he's going to stop trying once he gets his first big contract, you've got a radically different opinion of his character than I do.
CBs usually, but not always, take a few years to develop. As a rookie, despite what the Skip Bayless of football analytics said, I am talking about PFF, Fuller had a decent year. He had to transition to a different system his second year. He started out slow his second year but got better as the year went on. I don't blame a player for being injured, especially on a John Fox MASH unit. He had a great year last year. I expect him to continue that way. So, I'm in agreement with you. Also you don't need to explain anything about Fuller's character. Anyone asking you that knows no more than you do, but are quick to say it's because of a contract year.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
ysleblanc
MVP

I think anything other than a franchise tag or contract extension in regards to Fuller is dumb. Bears can't let him on the market, period. They have tons of cap room, stop letting your good players walk out the door.

They'll be trying to replace Jeffery for 2-3 more years FFS.
BR0D1E86
MVP

ysleblanc wrote:I think anything other than a franchise tag or contract extension in regards to Fuller is dumb. Bears can't let him on the market, period. They have tons of cap room, stop letting your good players walk out the door.

Anybody who can go 60-800 pretty much replaces Alshon. We’ll do that this offseason. Possibly twice.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:I think anything other than a franchise tag or contract extension in regards to Fuller is dumb. Bears can't let him on the market, period. They have tons of cap room, stop letting your good players walk out the door.

Anybody who can go 60-800 pretty much replaces Alshon. We’ll do that this offseason. Possibly twice.
If it was that easy, why didn't they do it last year? 60-800 is pretty much cream of the crop in this FA class.
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

If it was that easy, why didn't they do it last year? 60-800 is pretty much cream of the crop in this FA class.
Cam Merideth would have eclipsed that. Kevin White was supposed to be the other starter, whatever you think of him. Take both starting wide receivers off any team and the group isn’t going to look good. And ours wasn’t world-beating to begin with. Miller was the best receiver left on the team and he went down too. Our receivers were absolutely decimated last year.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

Cam Merideth would have eclipsed that. Kevin White was supposed to be the other starter, whatever you think of him. Take both starting wide receivers off any team and the group isn’t going to look good. And ours wasn’t world-beating to begin with. Miller was the best receiver left on the team and he went down too. Our receivers were absolutely decimated last year.
You do realize exactly 1 free agent WR eclipsed 800 yds, and he was just tagged. Replacing Alshon, just like replacing Fuller, isn't easy is the point.

We brought in two guys last year that couldn't put up 60-800 combined, even after guys in front of them got hurt and they were pushed up the option list.

This team can't afford to throw out talent when it is in such short supply.