Jordan Howard on the trading block?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Richie wrote:
G08 wrote:
malk wrote:
G08 wrote:On topic though, RBs in this offense need to be a threat in the passing game. Jordan Howard is anything but... hopefully he can improve in that area but I'm not holding my breath.
Genuine questions. Does Nagy have his offence yet? I'm kind of hoping that he's not set yet and can work his offence around the players we have, well, the good ones at least.
I don't know but I'm sure he has an idea of what he wants to do. The Eagles, FWIW, didn't utilize a pass catching RB so I'm sure Nagy can figure something out, but if I had to guess I would think the preference would be a RB with hands.
From 2002 through 2013... The Eagles had Brian Westbrook and LeSean McCoy starting at RB under Andy Reid. Two RB's well known for their multi-purpose/receiving skills.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... CoLe01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... stBr00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prior to that it was Duce Staley. In 2001, Staley had 63 receptions for 626 yards (more than his rushing total) for 2 TD's.
I think he was referring to this season.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah, cmon richie he was obviously talking about the eagles under former andy reid protege doug pederson.

I think, and I've said this before, but it's like Matt Forte has poisoned bear's fans' minds, and now they think that the most important skill for a RB is catching the ball. Meanwhile Legarrette Blount had 8 receptions for 50 yards on the superbowl winning team, coached by an Andy Reid disciple! They traded for Ajayi and he had a pedestrian 10/91.

If an RB is a great runner, any smart OC can use him, and it drives me up the wall when people hand-wring over jordan howard not being able to run 9 routes.
Umbali
MVP

maybe Howard gets set up with a juggs machine and works on pass catching...since it obviously wasnt a priority with Fox's regime...?
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote:maybe Howard gets set up with a juggs machine and works on pass catching...since it obviously wasnt a priority with Fox's regime...?
...which happened last offseason.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
G08 wrote:
malk wrote:
G08 wrote:On topic though, RBs in this offense need to be a threat in the passing game. Jordan Howard is anything but... hopefully he can improve in that area but I'm not holding my breath.
Genuine questions. Does Nagy have his offence yet? I'm kind of hoping that he's not set yet and can work his offence around the players we have, well, the good ones at least.
I don't know but I'm sure he has an idea of what he wants to do. The Eagles, FWIW, didn't utilize a pass catching RB so I'm sure Nagy can figure something out, but if I had to guess I would think the preference would be a RB with hands.
From 2002 through 2013... The Eagles had Brian Westbrook and LeSean McCoy starting at RB under Andy Reid. Two RB's well known for their multi-purpose/receiving skills.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... CoLe01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... stBr00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prior to that it was Duce Staley. In 2001, Staley had 63 receptions for 626 yards (more than his rushing total) for 2 TD's.
I was referring to Peterson this past season.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Umbali wrote:maybe Howard gets set up with a juggs machine and works on pass catching...since it obviously wasnt a priority with Fox's regime...?
And his catch % went up from 58% to 71.9%. Don't get me wrong, he was about the worst in the league for drops with 5 for his 32 targets but it was a little better than last year.

I'm also not going to completely write him off as a pass catcher yet. Sure he's never going to be a dual threat back like Forte but it's worth noting that he's already played with 5 QBs in two seasons and the breakdown with those QBs is interesting:

Cutler 41.7%
Hoyer 73.7%
Barkely 52.6%
Glennon 66.7%
Trubisky 76.5%

All very small sample sizes of course but if he can keep up the percentages he had with Trubisky then we'll be fine.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

And he had eye surgery last offseason, which supposedly helped him see/catch.

He also was not ever asked to catch the ball out of the backfield in college, so it is something he is still learning.
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote:
Richie wrote:
G08 wrote:
malk wrote:

I was referring to Peterson this past season.
Oh, fair enough then. I just thought we were talking about Reid/Nagy.

Clement played a pretty big role in the Super Bowl, but I feel you.
Richie
MVP

malk wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
And his catch % went up from 58% to 71.9%. Don't get me wrong, he was about the worst in the league for drops with 5 for his 32 targets but it was a little better than last year.

I'm also not going to completely write him off as a pass catcher yet. Sure he's never going to be a dual threat back like Forte but it's worth noting that he's already played with 5 QBs in two seasons and the breakdown with those QBs is interesting:

Cutler 41.7%
Hoyer 73.7%
Barkely 52.6%
Glennon 66.7%
Trubisky 76.5%

All very small sample sizes of course but if he can keep up the percentages he had with Trubisky then we'll be fine.
I'd also add that it's not as though Kareem Hunt set the world on fire in the pass game.

53 catches for 455 is very solid. However, he also had a monopoly on the entire backfield. If Howard can improve a little bit and Cohen does his part (along with Cunningham if he returns). I think we'll be quite fine. Howard just has to not be a liability with drops. He doesn't have to be Forte, IMO.
Richie
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:yeah, cmon richie he was obviously talking about the eagles under former andy reid protege doug pederson.
It's a long thread guys. Really, my bad. I really thought he was talking about Reid's Eagles, with all of the talk about Nagy coming over from under Reid's command in KC.
Pagan
MVP

pus wrote:I don't like it at all.

If we trade Jordan Howard at this point in his career then Pace and Nagy can go pound sand in their asses.

:angry: :angry: :angry:
Sounds like a Naked Ray gun fan to me...
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I know this is a dead subject for the time being, but just my two cents. Kareem Hunt had 272 carries. Second place was Alex Smith with 60, the Charcandrick West with 18. Trading Jordan would just add another need, because as tough as he is, I don’t want Tarik to carry 270 times.

I also read the Chiefs were 3/10 on Fourth down. Jordan would add another element to what they did last year.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Jordan Howard on the trading block?

BR0D1E86 wrote:
wab wrote:This is why a have a hard time with twitter. Any meatball with a keyboard can be like “I wonder if Miami would be interedtedbin Howard for Landry”. Throw in a hashtag and an @ symbol and the next thing you know it’s picked up by beat writers everywhere.
I read somewhere that the original source was a food vendor who claimed he overheard a Dolphins staff member discussing it. So yeah, garbage.
I thought it was the food vendor talking to the guy who scrubs the grass stains out of the game day pants
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This is why a have a hard time with twitter. Any meatball with a keyboard can be like “I wonder if Miami would be interedtedbin Howard for Landry”. Throw in a hashtag and an @ symbol and the next thing you know it’s picked up by beat writers everywhere.
It is a funny illustration of where we're at with sports reporting. On one hand the old guard is rightfully pissed that they can do the actual leg work of reporting and then some Aarron Lemming motherfucker can just throw shit at a wall and maybe befriend a valet at halas hall, and because his work is more provocative he gets a huge audience share.

On the other hand, should you have to work for some massive soulless media conglomerate to be able to get the necessary access to write about what you love for a living?
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
It is a funny illustration of where we're at with sports reporting. On one hand the old guard is rightfully pissed that they can do the actual leg work of reporting and then some Aarron Lemming motherfucker can just throw shit at a wall and maybe befriend a valet at halas hall, and because his work is more provocative he gets a huge audience share.

On the other hand, should you have to work for some massive soulless media conglomerate to be able to get the necessary access to write about what you love for a living?
This is why I love you Rusty.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

On a related note... it's interedtedbin that the Bears are sniffing around Ronald Jones, who is being compared to Jamaal Charles.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:On a related note... it's interedtedbin that the Bears are sniffing around Ronald Jones, who is being compared to Jamaal Charles.
It'd be pretty weak if the Bears got rid of Howard. I feel like with as many holes being generated over the last few weeks that you should focus on getting holes filled with playmakers instead of hawking your currently good wares for a slight upgrade at an already solid position.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:On a related note... it's interedtedbin that the Bears are sniffing around Ronald Jones, who is being compared to Jamaal Charles.
It'd be pretty weak if the Bears got rid of Howard. I feel like with as many holes being generated over the last few weeks that you should focus on getting holes filled with playmakers instead of hawking your currently good wares for a slight upgrade at an already solid position.
I agree completely. I'd be pretty upset if the Bears parted ways with him. But... I guess I'd give Nagy the benefit of the doubt. I'd still be upset as a fan. Greg Olsen upset.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
I agree completely. I'd be pretty upset if the Bears parted ways with him. But... I guess I'd give Nagy the benefit of the doubt. I'd still be upset as a fan. Greg Olsen upset.

I think it would be a bad move on the Bears part

sort of reminds me of the Thomas Jones / Cedric Benson thing ... Jones was a reclamation project who took his second chance with the Bears and ran with it ... the Bears, with several other positions in need of upgrade, chose instead to draft a replacement for Jones ... which ended up being a situation where they replaced a fully functional component with a defective one

Howard has taken his opportunity and has established himself as a solid team component ... he is a solid known commodity who is only going to get better ... replacing him at this point in time for any reason seems shortsighted and self defeating to me
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:
UOK wrote:

I think it would be a bad move on the Bears part

sort of reminds me of the Thomas Jones / Cedric Benson thing ... Jones was a reclamation project who took his second chance with the Bears and ran with it ... the Bears, with several other positions in need of upgrade, chose instead to draft a replacement for Jones ... which ended up being a situation where they replaced a fully functional component with a defective one

Howard has taken his opportunity and has established himself as a solid team component ... he is a solid known commodity who is only going to get better ... replacing him at this point in time for any reason seems shortsighted and self defeating to me

Beggars shouldn't be choosers, but don't tell that to the Bears.
BabyBear
Journeyman

Even if we trade Howard, it won't be as dumb as the Greg Olsen trade.
Richie
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:I know this is a dead subject for the time being, but just my two cents. Kareem Hunt had 272 carries. Second place was Alex Smith with 60, the Charcandrick West with 18. Trading Jordan would just add another need, because as tough as he is, I don’t want Tarik to carry 270 times.

I also read the Chiefs were 3/10 on Fourth down. Jordan would add another element to what they did last year.
Even if we traded Howard. The idea would not be to make Cohen our 1st/2nd down back. We'd draft/sign somebody.

However, it's not happening... so...
BabyBear
Journeyman

Cohen as our 1st and 2nd down back for an extended period would be a disaster.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:
pus wrote:I don't like it at all.

If we trade Jordan Howard at this point in his career then Pace and Nagy can go pound sand in their asses.

:angry: :angry: :angry:
Sounds like a Naked Ray gun fan to me...
32 years later, I still pull out that All RIse CD when I need to remind myself I can still punk rock.
One of the top 5 best Chicago bands ever!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk