Going into his FOURTH YEAR, Slow Pace has YET to do this...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BabyBear
Journeyman

southdakbearfan wrote:How has he neglected it? He had an established starter who’s contract prohibited getting rid of him and he had backups like Hoyer and who did well enough when put in the game.

2015 he had Cutler (established starter) Clausen (veteran) and fales (prospect).

2016 he had Cutler (established starter) Hoyer (veteran backup) Barkley, Shaw & fales(prospects).

When he got rid of said starter he brought in an established veteran (Sanchez), a guy with some potential (Glennon) as a stopgap and drafted the prospective qb of the future (Trubisky).

It would seem to me he has done exactly as you have wanted every season.
Nope.

Maybe I haven't been clear.

I'm talking strictly YOUNG QBs to develop down on the p.s.

Not a bald old vet like Hoyer.

I'm all for a good vet #2 as a placeholder for a year or two for the kid we're developing behind him. You gotta have those types of kids because as we have seen, you can only keep a guy like Josh McCown for so long. Once a guy like him is gone, it'd be nice to see a guy that we have developed on the p.s. for a season or two move on up to #2....or perhaps even compete for the starting job.

Holy crap...do I REALLY have to explain all this?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BabyBear wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:How has he neglected it? He had an established starter who’s contract prohibited getting rid of him and he had backups like Hoyer and who did well enough when put in the game.

2015 he had Cutler (established starter) Clausen (veteran) and fales (prospect).

2016 he had Cutler (established starter) Hoyer (veteran backup) Barkley, Shaw & fales(prospects).

When he got rid of said starter he brought in an established veteran (Sanchez), a guy with some potential (Glennon) as a stopgap and drafted the prospective qb of the future (Trubisky).

Nope.

I'm all for a good vet #2 as a placeholder for a year or two for the kid we're developing behind him. You gotta have those types of kids because as we have seen, you can only keep a guy like Josh McCown for so long. Once a guy like him is gone, it'd be nice to see a guy that we have developed on the p.s. for a season or two move on up to #2....or perhaps even compete for the starting job.

So, fales, shaw, barkley and others don't count? He has had young "developmental" guys on the PS every single year but last year, since his young guy was the #2 pick in the draft.
BabyBear
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:Just to recap...

Your words: Pace is terrible
Your words: Trubisky will either suck or be hurt by November

But you are asking a guy who you think is an awful GM that couldn’t fix the starting QB position with the #2 overall pick...that same guy...to find a top backup QB. In undrafted free agency.

All because David Fales had a not terrible game against the Bills at the end of the season.

And I’m new at football...
:rofl: Hahaha! Thanks for the Cliff Notes. I didn't want to have to wade through all of that crap.
Don't use that dude for your "Cliff notes".

Just because Pace MIGHT have whiffed on his QB, like many GMs do,...doesn't mean that same GM can't eventually hit on a kid, even in the late rounds that might be decent.

By his.logic, Pace had no business drafting Tarik.Cohen after whiffing on Jeremy Langford.

Just because ya struck out with one guy, doesn't mean you're not allowed to.keep swinging at that position. Duh.
wab
Mod

Let me help, ignoring the fact that talented young QBs last on a practice squad about 8seconds:

“I would be nice if Pace picked up a young QB to stash on the practice squad to see if he can be developed”.

/thread
BabyBear
Journeyman

southdakbearfan wrote:
BabyBear wrote:

Nope.

So, fales, shaw, barkley and others don't count? He has had young "developmental" guys on the PS every single year but last year, since his young guy was the #2 pick in the draft.
Yep...and look how FAST Pace gives up on them?

I mean if youve seen enough with a young guy, fine, but where was the replacement project last year for Barkley? Actually...it.never should have come to that. Even before we signed Glennon...I wanted to see Barkley as the starter until Trubisky was ready. Time was crucified of course for saying that last spring by, but with the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure everyone would agree Barkley would have been a better placeholder than Glennon fared.

IMHO, Pace bailed on Fales and Barkley too fast.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

You can only carry so many QB's. On a year when they jettisoned Cutler, brought in a stopgap, veteran and drafted the future you wanted something else?

Barkley wasn't staying to be on the practice squad when he got signed to be a backup elsewhere.

What was Fales going to show that he didn't show in the previous 3 seasons? His relief performance in a meaningless last game of the season reminds me of when certain people thought Todd Collins was a god when he came off the street in the last preseason game and lit it up.

It also reminds me of every time a backup gets in a game and has a reasonably good game the first week or two then after the rest of the league gets tape on them they suck again.

Nobody in the NFL really consistently develops later round or cast aside QB's aside from Andy Reid, and we just got his disciple, but you already decided you hate him.
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:Let me help, ignoring the fact that talented young QBs last on a practice squad about 8seconds:

“I would be nice if Pace picked up a young QB to stash on the practice squad to see if he can be developed”.

/thread
Let me help by adding... What this guy said!^
But WAB doesn't really understand that much about football. And it's pretty clear, because the truth is, they only last about 7 and 1/2 seconds.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
BabyBear
Journeyman

southdakbearfan wrote:You can only carry so many QB's. On a year when they jettisoned Cutler, brought in a stopgap, veteran and drafted the future you wanted something else?

Barkley wasn't staying to be on the practice squad when he got signed to be a backup elsewhere.

What was Fales going to show that he didn't show in the previous 3 seasons? His relief performance in a meaningless last game of the season reminds me of when certain people thought Todd Collins was a god when he came off the street in the last preseason game and lit it up.

It also reminds me of every time a backup gets in a game and has a reasonably good game the first week or two then after the rest of the league gets tape on them they suck again.

Nobody in the NFL really consistently develops later round or cast aside QB's aside from Andy Reid, and we just got his disciple, but you already decided you hate him.
I'm blanking....what late round/cast aside guys has Reid developed?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Smith, Kolb, Vick.

Smith was pretty much cast aside in SF but increased QB rating every year under him after coming to KC.

Kolb was a more than serviceable backup and did ok as a starter.

Vick was fresh out of prison but developed into an actual passer under him and was more than serviceable.

McNaab was a 1st rounder and was borderline great under him and fell on his face after he left.

They all weren't late rounders, but two were definitely cast aside and the other two stunk when they left him.
BabyBear
Journeyman

southdakbearfan wrote:Smith, Kolb, Vick.

Smith was pretty much cast aside in SF but increased QB rating every year under him after coming to KC.

Kolb was a more than serviceable backup and did ok as a starter.

Vick was fresh out of prison but developed into an actual passer under him and was more than serviceable.

McNaab was a 1st rounder and was borderline great under him and fell on his face after he left.

They all weren't late rounders, but two were definitely cast aside and the other two stunk when they left him.
Umm...Alex Smith was highly coveted going into KC.

Kolb was basically a bust.

So basically Vick...who was already a talent. Just had been locked up. I don't think he grew that much as a passer under Reid. Which is why he didn't last too long in Philly.
G08
Hall of Famer

How is this 7 pages?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

BabyBear wrote:

Nope.

In the history of football, How many PS QBs have become solid backup QBs? SMH
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:How is this 7 pages?
We are Bear fans. We like punishment.
docc
Head Coach

We were born with Original Sin...

Born in Chicago..
BabyBear
Journeyman

46Blitz wrote:
BabyBear wrote:

Nope.

I don't have numbers, but since your ps QB is basically your 3rd string QB...I'm guessing a lot have.
MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:How is this 7 pages?
How did it get to the second page?

MoFugger
Head Coach

BabyBear wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
BabyBear wrote:

Nope.

I don't have numbers, but since your ps QB is basically your 3rd string QB...I'm guessing a lot have.
Maybe you should look that up.
Because you're very very wrong.

wab
Mod

MoFugger wrote:
BabyBear wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
BabyBear wrote:

Nope.

2017 was a real who's who of QB's on practice squads.

https://www.footballdb.com/transactions ... quads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glad I ordered my Nick Mullins jersey when I did.
Nanky
Journeyman

wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:
BabyBear wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
BabyBear wrote:

Nope.

https://www.footballdb.com/transactions ... quads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You missed it on that one definitely should have gone with a Trevone Boykin jersey . . . clearly you need to re-evaluate your choices in life.
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:
BabyBear wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
BabyBear wrote:

Nope.

Oh yeah? Not only do i have a Josh Woodrum jersey.... I have all his laundry. I told him he could crash on my couch for two nights, he's been here 9 months.

The next Tom Brady I tells ya!

BabyBear
Journeyman

MoFugger wrote:
BabyBear wrote:
46Blitz wrote:
BabyBear wrote:

Nope.

Actually I'm probably right.

I'm sure alot of decent backup QBs started out at the 3rd string.
wab
Mod

BabyBear wrote:Actually I'm probably right.

Links/proof needed.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:

Links/proof needed.
Proof. We don’t need no stinking proof in this thread.
BabyBear
Journeyman

Lol....I dont think it's on me to provide links or whatever. Seems to me someone claiming no 3rd string QBS have ever become decent #2's needs to prove it. Because it seems pretty unlikely.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
wab wrote:

Links/proof needed.
Proof. We don’t need no stinking proof in this thread.

we're Bears fans ... we have witnessed guys who would be 3rd string on other teams starting for us

Moses Moreno anyone? or my favorite useless turd Jonathan Quinn?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin