Re-sign Benny Cunningham?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

To me, this guy is an automatic re-sign. He turns 28 in July. All he did was provide quality depth, do everything we asked him to do competently, including play on STs. Good pass blocker. Made big plays in the screen game. This guy is everything you want in a #3 RB and should cost something like $1.5M or less. Why spend a draft pick on another guy? I'm very happy to stick with the devil you know here.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
GSH
MVP

i really like the kid, also he was part of one of my fave plays of last season, shrugging off 2 tackles taking that fake punt td pass from o'donnell to the house
MoFugger
Head Coach

I can't come up with a single reason not to bring him back.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
britbear
Player of the Month

Agreed. He has safe hands (certainly safer than Howard's) and would seem to be a good fit for the offense we expect Nagy to bring in (West Coast/RPO). I'd re-sign him in an instant.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

He's been fine.

I can't find anything about his injury at the end of the year, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

I say yes, but I'm guessing Pace will draft yet another running back at some point in this draft.
BR0D1E86
MVP

As long as the money is remotely reasonable I’d love him back on a two year deal. He was very good in his role.

Only problem is I don’t like him as an every down back, and I don’t like Cohen in that role either. You’re basically locked in to carrying 4 backs.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I like his ability to catch out of the backfield. He's an asset if the defense looks at him as the 5th option because he's a mismatch against lower end LBer's or dime coverage DB's.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Umbali
MVP

sign him
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Richie
MVP

Mikefive wrote:To me, this guy is an automatic re-sign. He turns 28 in July. All he did was provide quality depth, do everything we asked him to do competently, including play on STs. Good pass blocker. Made big plays in the screen game. This guy is everything you want in a #3 RB and should cost something like $1.5M or less. Why spend a draft pick on another guy? I'm very happy to stick with the devil you know here.
100% Mike

Even dating back to his days in St. Louis. I always found Cunningham to be undervalued as a football player.

He did everything asked of him as the #3 RB and then some. He also plays very good SPT's.

He is a very ideal back to start in place of Howard, should he miss a game somewhere down the line as well.
Middleguard
MVP

UOK wrote:I say yes, but I'm guessing Pace will draft yet another running back at some point in this draft.
Don't you suspect it might have Fox who wanted a steady stream of RBs he could send to IR?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

while I don't mind him I think you could upgrade either late in the draft or UDFA to get a little more complete back to develop.
MoFugger
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:while I don't mind him I think you could upgrade either late in the draft or UDFA to get a little more complete back to develop.
I agree. But I think we should be looking at that next year. A year from now we could be looking at replacing Howard so I would say let's just let the running back for all the way they are for this season

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:while I don't mind him I think you could upgrade either late in the draft or UDFA to get a little more complete back to develop.
I agree. But I think we should be looking at that next year. A year from now we could be looking at replacing Howard so I would say let's just let the running back for all the way they are for this season

Agreed. A fourth round pick this year on a RB wouldn't bother me.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I completely disagree with the plan to draft an RB. We have two talented young guys already. The draft picks need to be spent on young guys with upside basically every other position except safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I completely disagree with the plan to draft an RB. We have two talented young guys already. The draft picks need to be spent on young guys with upside basically every other position except safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup, re-sign benny and churn the udfa's.