Bears Not Expected to Tender Daniel Brown, John Timu

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Interesting, but not all that surprising I guess.
BREAKING NEWS

CHICAGO BEARS FREE AGENCY 2018
Bears Not Expected to Tender Daniel Brown, John Timu

A pair of familiar names from the past few seasons aren’t expected to return to the Windy City.
By Erik Christopher Duerrwaechter Mar 12, 2018, 2:38pm CDT

Just as Free Agency is an exciting time to gain players, it is also a time when tough decisions are made on the opposite side of the spectrum. Brad Biggs is reporting that the Bears are not expected to tender either LB John Timu or TE Daniel Brown with protected offers. Both players have been with the team since 2016.

Timu made nine starts with the Bears since being signed as an UDFA in 2015, recording a total of 49 tackles and one pass defensed. Meanwhile, Daniel Brown registered five starts for the Bears after being claimed off waivers in 2016 from the Baltimore Ravens. He recorded 253 receiving yards and a TD from 29 receptions while with the Bears.

Where it is unknown about the Bears’ interest in the LB market, John Timu joins Jerrell Freeman as free agents in the open market. Meanwhile, it has been reported the Bears are interested in TEs Jimmy Graham and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Both positions could look dramatically different on opening day this upcoming season.

As always, stay tuned for more updates...
UOK
Site Admin

Ah yes, the "I only really play because half the roster is dead" guys. Brown has some alright hands, but not much else. Timu's a good tackler, but undersized and has a very low ceiling.
wab
Mod

Timu is one of those guys that will float around a roster for 8 years, but I thought Brown had a chance to develop in this offense.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Timu is one of those guys that will float around a roster for 8 years, but I thought Brown had a chance to develop in this offense.
Welp it's not to say that Brown won't come back.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Maybe Nagy has his own favorite project TE floating around the league somewhere? Ah yes remember Khari Lee? or Dante Rosario? or that terrible overpaid guy with a hawaiian name that Martz brought? or that guy with an african name that we tried to witness his ascension but he never ascended? I'm excited to find out about the next one!
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Timu is one of those guys that will float around a roster for 8 years, but I thought Brown had a chance to develop in this offense.
This is me. Both guys will be on a roster this year.

Regarding Brown, it looks more and more like Sims stays. But if he didn't--and many of us figured he'd get cut--then without Brown, you have Shaheen and Ben Sooper Smart Completely Unproductive Braunecker. And that's it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Yeah, claiming they won't be back because they didn't get a tender is weird.
It just means Pace has the sense to realize it won't cost 2M to corral them (much like, oh say...Josh Bellamy).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
SC Bear
Journeyman

Sefarian-Jenkins to many character issues and to much weight for me; and I'm usually one of the last to complain.
malk
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
UOK wrote:
Yeah, claiming they won't be back because they didn't get a tender is weird.
It just means Pace has the sense to realize it won't cost 2M to corral them (much like, oh say...Josh Bellamy).
Yup, neither was ever getting tendered.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)