Nagy, Helfrich, Trubisky and the Chicago Bears 2018 Offense

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

As it stands, it appears that MT10 will have a plethora of weapons at his disposal.

RB1 - Jordan Howard
RB2/Joker - Tarik Cohen

WR1 - Allen Robinson
WR2 - Kevin White (don't @ me)
WR3 - Cameron Meredith
WR4 - Markus Wheaton
WR5 - Josh Bellamy

TE1 - Adam Shaheen
TE2/Flex - Trey Burton

I think we might be good for now at skill positions. We can peruse the secondary market for WR deals, or even draft someone in round 2 if we are so inclined.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
UOK
Site Admin

I don't see Shaheen starting over Burton. I mean sure, Shaheen and Burton will both be on the field a ton (I presume), but on any official depth chart, Shaheen is the backup.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I don't see Shaheen starting over Burton. I mean sure, Shaheen and Burton will both be on the field a ton (I presume), but on any official depth chart, Shaheen is the backup.
It's two different roles, though. Burton at times you will see lined up in the slot whereas Shaheen, at least for now, will be be attached to the OL and play in-line. Over time I'm sure we will start seeing him flexed out.

Don't discount Burton playing some FB as well, tons of things you can do with a kid like him.
G08
Hall of Famer

If you're coming out in 11 personnel, you can see Robinson and White outside, Burton in the slot, and Shaheen on the LOS, you can have Meredith in the slot and Burton on the line (although he's way too small to stay in and block alone there), etc.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Trubisky is going to struggle early in the season for the simple fact that he will not be accustomed to a WR with consistent seperation between themselves and the defender. Once he realizes this is a good thing, MT10 is gonna ball.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I was imagining Burton lined up next to Mitch in the shotgun (RB on the other side, 12 personnel running 11 plays), too. Shaheen can also flex out into the slot so it's not a bad idea to run seven man protections with only 5 guys hands in the dirt. People are using wingbacks more often too and I'll bet Nagy is down to have Burton standing behind Massie.

Basically we're just brainstorming here - Nagy is gonna get weird and it's gonna be great.

Also I'd say we draft a WR in the 2nd because if Wheaton and White are both successful it gets really expensive in 2019 when they both need contracts. Better to have a 2nd year guy with some pedigree and a year of experience at WR4 so he can step in at WR2 or WR3 with Meredith and Robinson.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Also I'd say we draft a WR in the 2nd because if Wheaton and White are both successful it gets really expensive in 2019 when they both need contracts. Better to have a 2nd year guy with some pedigree and a year of experience at WR4 so he can step in at WR2 or WR3 with Meredith and Robinson.
I'm with you here, but it really boils down to what else we do in FA.

Right now, I think we sorely need help at OLB, OG, and CB (assuming Fuller signs).

If we bring Breeland in, or have Amukamara return, then we can go Edmunds in the first, WR in the second, and OG somewhere in round 4 (or use both 4ths to trade up to the 3rd if someone we like is falling).

In terms of value, I want OLB, CB, WR, OG.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
crueltyabc wrote: Also I'd say we draft a WR in the 2nd because if Wheaton and White are both successful it gets really expensive in 2019 when they both need contracts. Better to have a 2nd year guy with some pedigree and a year of experience at WR4 so he can step in at WR2 or WR3 with Meredith and Robinson.

Right now, I think we sorely need help at OLB, OG, and CB (assuming Fuller signs).

If we bring Breeland in, or have Amukamara return, then we can go Edmunds in the first, WR in the second, and OG somewhere in round 4 (or use both 4ths to trade up to the 3rd if someone we like is falling).

I think we are seeing a set-up to go and get Quenton Nelson at #8. Fuller has been transition tagged, they let Sitton go, and signed Allen Robinson.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

I think we are seeing a set-up to go and get Quenton Nelson at #8. Fuller has been transition tagged, they let Sitton go, and signed Allen Robinson.
Him or Ward would be my guesses.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Edmunds is the guy if he's there at #8. Should be decent corners in round 2.

I don't see us addressing OLB in free agency (landscape is barren), but I could see us signing a corner and guard.
G08
Hall of Famer

Looking at the Eagles offense in 2017, I think our roster -- as it stands -- resembles them more closely than the Chiefs (especially now that we don't have a true speedster/game breaker at WR).

Targets/Player/Bears Comp

120/Jeffery/Robinson
110/Ertz/Shaheen
95/Agholor/White
67/Smith/Meredith
31/Burton/Burton
24/Celek/Sims
wab
Mod

Honest question, why are we suddenly modeling the Eagles offense?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Honest question, why are we suddenly modeling the Eagles offense?
We aren't for all I know, just bored and playing connect the dots based on roster similarities I'm seeing:

Robinson and Jeffery are awfully similar in how they play, Burton is Burton, Howard isn't a RB that catches passes out of the backfield (just like LeGarrett Blount), and of course Pederson and Nagy cutting their offensive teeth under the same head coach in Andy Reid.
sturf
Journeyman

wab wrote:Honest question, why are we suddenly modeling the Eagles offense?
Maybe because it is largely the same offense system as the Chiefs? Burton coming from Philadelphia probably already knows most of the offense Nagy will install.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

And your pass rushers are Leonard Floyd and Isaiah Irving?? You've got to be kidding.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
cblaz11
MVP

Personally, I think the guy we look at at 8 is McGlinchey not Nelson. An OT is just more valuable then an OG.

I like what we've done so far, but I'd love to add the following...
Mitch Unrein-DE
Trent Murphy-OLB
Kony Ealy- OLB
Lamar Houston-OLB
John Timu-ILB
Prince Amakamura-CB
Zach Fulton- G/C
Terrell Pryor -WR
Kendal Wright-WR

Also, let's lock up Goldman, Fuller, and Amos.

We do this, we go into the draft being able to take BPA.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

McCblaz wrote:Personally, I think the guy we look at at 8 is McGlinchey not Nelson. An OT is just more valuable then an OG.

I like what we've done so far, but I'd love to add the following...
Mitch Unrein-DE
Trent Murphy-OLB
Kony Ealy- OLB
Lamar Houston-OLB
John Timu-ILB
Prince Amakamura-CB
Zach Fulton- G/C
Terrell Pryor -WR
Kendal Wright-WR

Also, let's lock up Goldman, Fuller, and Amos.

We do this, we go into the draft being able to take BPA.

This conversation should be in the Draft forum - but let me just say real quick that we are not drafting McGlinchey at 8.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

It seems like Pace and friends aren't really going to rely on White or Meredith for much of anything this season then, huh?

Gabriel isn't a slot WR and I think Burton might be spending a lot of time in the slot for us (as well as other places). Lots of different packages for Nagy to deploy as well with this current roster.

My guess top 4 in targets guess:

Robinson
Gabriel
Shaheen/Burton
Cohen
White/Meredith
UOK
Site Admin

Speculating that Meredith wasn't given a timetable and they don't want to rush him back.

White will have to earn his job out of camp. Fringe of the roster.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Speculating that Meredith wasn't given a timetable and they don't want to rush him back.

Didn't someone post that White is working his ASS off trying to get back to form? Working out with Biscuits?

So much promise. Dammit.

Kevin White Senior Year
Last edited by Bears Whiskey Nut on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IotaNet
MVP

UOK wrote: ... White will have to earn his job out of camp. Fringe of the roster.
Exactly. A nice bonus but not counting on him.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
UOK wrote:Speculating that Meredith wasn't given a timetable and they don't want to rush him back.

Didn't someone post that White is working his ASS off trying to get back to form? Working out with Biscuits?
I'm not saying White's not working hard. Quite the contrary. That said, he hasn't at all earned the security of a spot.
IotaNet
MVP

UOK wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I'm not saying White's not working hard. Quite the contrary. That said, he hasn't at all earned the security of a spot.
Exactly. I think White is a great kid and a hard worker ... but as we know, he’s been injury-prone so far. Pace would be foolish to place any more eggs in that basket without hedging his bets.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

So much promise. Dammit.

Kevin White Senior Year
I think an awesome thing for White is that he can pick Allen Robinson's brain on how to run routes in the NFL. Kevin White is too robotic from what little he's done in the NFL, playing WR and running routes is an art form (IMO). I hope he's in Robinson's ear the second they meet and he learns as much as he can about playing in the NFL.

White definitely doesn't deserve to be penciled into a spot, but I'll be stunned if Pace cuts this dude outside of character issues (which I doubt would ever happen).

Look at Meredith and White as nothing but depth and anything you get out of them this season is gravy.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Not saying you were. And you're right, White is going to have to earn it. I just heard that he IS trying to earn it. Positive sign.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
UOK wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Not saying you were. And you're right, White is going to have to earn it. I just heard that he IS trying to earn it. Positive sign.
Work ethic and "caring" has never been his issue, which is why I'm trying hard to cheer for him this season. He just has the worst fucking luck with breaking bones.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
UOK wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I'm not believing any hype on Kevin White whatsoever. He needs to prove it.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

If white makes it through camp healthy he is on the roster. Too much guaranteed money to not try to get something along with potential if he could stay healthy for a change.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

So much promise. Dammit.

Kevin White Senior Year
I think an awesome thing for White is that he can pick Allen Robinson's brain on how to run routes in the NFL. Kevin White is too robotic from what little he's done in the NFL, playing WR and running routes is an art form (IMO). I hope he's in Robinson's ear the second they meet and he learns as much as he can about playing in the NFL.

White definitely doesn't deserve to be penciled into a spot, but I'll be stunned if Pace cuts this dude outside of character issues (which I doubt would ever happen).

Look at Meredith and White as nothing but depth and anything you get out of them this season is gravy.
Running routes is absolutely an art form, but not all WR's are artists, unfortunately. But learning to head bob and using a 1-step quick cut can go a long way to help setting up a defender even if you can't break ankles with jukes like Robinson can (even for a guy his size):
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

So much promise. Dammit.

Kevin White Senior Year

Running routes is absolutely an art form, but not all WR's are artists, unfortunately. But learning to head bob and using a 1-step quick cut can go a long way to help setting up a defender even if you can't break ankles with jukes like Robinson can (even for a guy his size):
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just wow. His ability to sell the fake is amazing.