Prince Amukamara re-signs with the Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Per Brad Biggs. Prince Amukamara is re-signing with the Bears.

This makes me really happy. He was a better than serviceable CB, and it seemed that he and Fuller played well together.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

nice
BR0D1E86
MVP

I'm happy, depending on the money obviously. He was a very solid corner last year. More turnovers would be nice, but if he were perfect he'd cost significantly more.

If I remember correctly he graded out as around the 40th to 45th best cornerback by PFF. I didn't find that to be wildly inaccurate. He was just solid. And this will be his second year in the system, hopefully without an offseason injury leading up to the start of the regular season.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah, PFF had him as the 41st CB, with a grade of 81.2 (which is "above average" on their scale). And which was a career high by their standards.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Finally, a signing of someone who has started successfully and isn't coming off a serious injury.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bringing back Fuller and Amukamara would be sweet!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo14m
CB Prince Amukamara gets $27m over three years with the Bears, as @DanGrazianoESPN said. This after he played on one-year deals for $6m and $7m the last two seasons. Good deal for Prince.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Does Cooper stick around now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
CB Prince Amukamara gets $27m over three years with the Bears, as @DanGrazianoESPN said. This after he played on one-year deals for $6m and $7m the last two seasons. Good deal for Prince.
Wow, that's solid I guess right? Curious what was guaranteed... 14M?

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

BR0D1E86 wrote:Does Cooper stick around now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can’t imagine why. He solid, and had great size for the position. He’ll get work elsewhere.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
My jaw sort of dropped on that one. I was thinking $6M-$7M/yr. Maybe $10M guaranteed. Amukamara was good, but I don't know if he was $9M/yr good. If the guaranteed is $12M, and comes in the first two years, then I get it.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
My jaw sort of dropped on that one. I was thinking $6M-$7M/yr. Maybe $10M guaranteed. Amukamara was good, but I don't know if he was $9M/yr good. If the guaranteed is $12M, and comes in the first two years, then I get it.
Butler got 5/$61M with $30M guaranteed (12.2 per year)... I'm curious to see what Fuller gets!

UOK
Site Admin

CB market is broken. You are forced to overpay. Glad he’s back.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

my money's on it being pretty dang incentive laden, with an out on that third year.
jamus34
Journeyman

Willing to bet that the 3rd year out will put it at 2/$16M if he doesn't set the world on fire.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I like it. He was solid and the contract is decent.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Butler got 5/$61M with $30M guaranteed (12.2 per year)... I'm curious to see what Fuller gets!
Is Fuller > Butler? I don't think so. But I'll bet Fuller gets 4/$52M with $28M G.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote:I like it. He was solid and the contract is decent.
I have to see the guaranteed. If it's under $12M then I'm OK with it.
UOK
Site Admin

@DanGrazianoESPN

I was told the guarantee was in the $18 million range.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@DanGrazianoESPN

I was told the guarantee was in the $18 million range.
Wow! I hope its front loaded. Maybe Fangio sees something in Prince that will allow him to take a huge step forward in the system next year.
BR0D1E86
MVP

A bit richer than I would have liked, but not significantly so.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Is Fuller > Butler? I don't think so. But I'll bet Fuller gets 4/$52M with $28M G.
I would say Fuller is better than Butler.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:A bit richer than I would have liked, but not significantly so.
Agreed.

Prince is a very good corner, especially in press man.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I originally thought Fuller would get 12-14 and Prince 9
Hopefully Fuller comes in at 10-12
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
malk
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:I originally thought Fuller would get 12-14 and Prince 9
Hopefully Fuller comes in at 10-12
I thought we might be able to get Amukamara for a little less but I also think he's disproportionally underrated due to the lack of interceptions. Worth remembering last year was his first with us and his third team in three years. I think it's reasonable to hope he grows into the scheme a bit.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:CB market is broken. You are forced to overpay. Glad he’s back.
When a CB who hasn't had an INT in years gets that kind of money you're exactly right.

I was hoping we could've upgraded the CB this year which is why I'm so PO'd we didn't get in on the Peters trade.

The Rams got Peters for a fourth this year and a second next year. We should've done that and given that Peters is still under the rookie deal we would've gotten $9M in cap relief.

I really don't care what Peters is like in the locker room. That is Nagy and Fangio's job to straighten that out. A lot of elite players are prima donna elitists. Just produce on the field. Works for me.

But woohoo we paid a shit ton of money to a guy who hasn't had a pick in years. Yay.
malk
Head Coach

I'm not saying Amukamara is as good as Peters, nor thst PFF grades are everything, but they were given 81.2 and 85.7 respectively in 2017. Of course some of that is down to the 5 picks that Peters got.

Now I don't know how those picks change the grading but I imagine it is significant.

Given Peters is looking at $15m per year in his next contact, are those picks worth, say, Gabriel? We might not be capped out now but it will happen and that's the kind of choice to make. Is an impact play in every two or three games worth more than a #3 receiver?

I'm much, much more concerned about the general coverage that affects every play rather than interceptions. Peters isn't a great example for my argument as he's good at both but there are plenty of players who get more interceptions than Amukamara but also give up many more completions.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

For a #2 CB he's just fine
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I'm not saying Amukamara is as good as Peters, nor thst PFF grades are everything, but they were given 81.2 and 85.7 respectively in 2017. Of course some of that is down to the 5 picks that Peters got.

Now I don't know how those picks change the grading but I imagine it is significant.

Given Peters is looking at $15m per year in his next contact, are those picks worth, say, Gabriel? We might not be capped out now but it will happen and that's the kind of choice to make. Is an impact play in every two or three games worth more than a #3 receiver?

I'm much, much more concerned about the general coverage that affects every play rather than interceptions. Peters isn't a great example for my argument as he's good at both but there are plenty of players who get more interceptions than Amukamara but also give up many more completions.
To your point. Interceptions are nice. But a lot of CB's that have a lot of interceptions, also get burnt a lot because they are going for the pick, vs. playing solid coverage. My feeling is, if the turnover comes from an interception or a punt, I don't care. As long as we get the ball back. Do I think Prince helps us shut down the opposing team's passing attack? Absolutely.