Prince Amukamara re-signs with the Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Love it. It’s expensive but same as WR we gotta pay because our draft picks haven’t (yet?) planned out. We need to start drafting quality DBs and this gives us a few more years to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

One thing I saw PFF note recently was that Amukamara only allowed 90 yards after catch all year. He keeps everything in front of him and isnt a liability in that regard.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Bringing back Fuller and Amukamara would be sweet!

I would be very happy with that
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:One thing I saw PFF note recently was that Amukamara only allowed 90 yards after catch all year. He keeps everything in front of him and isnt a liability in that regard.
It has to be one of the most underrated stats in defense. IF the WR catches the ball, are your CB's making the tackle at first contact.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:I'm not saying Amukamara is as good as Peters, nor thst PFF grades are everything, but they were given 81.2 and 85.7 respectively in 2017. Of course some of that is down to the 5 picks that Peters got.

Now I don't know how those picks change the grading but I imagine it is significant.

Given Peters is looking at $15m per year in his next contact, are those picks worth, say, Gabriel? We might not be capped out now but it will happen and that's the kind of choice to make. Is an impact play in every two or three games worth more than a #3 receiver?

I'm much, much more concerned about the general coverage that affects every play rather than interceptions. Peters isn't a great example for my argument as he's good at both but there are plenty of players who get more interceptions than Amukamara but also give up many more completions.
To your point. Interceptions are nice. But a lot of CB's that have a lot of interceptions, also get burnt a lot because they are going for the pick, vs. playing solid coverage. My feeling is, if the turnover comes from an interception or a punt, I don't care. As long as we get the ball back. Do I think Prince helps us shut down the opposing team's passing attack? Absolutely.
With you 100%. I'll be railing against the importance given to interceptions at length when Peanut is eligible for the hall. Charles Woodson gets DPOY in 2009 for 9 interceptions, 4 FF, 1 FR and 2 sacks. Tillman in 2012 would never be considered. Of course he wasn't going to win that year with Watt's monster season but it's notable that NFL.com name checks Richard Sherman's "dominant" year in their article announcing the winner.

I digress but suffice to say, I don't think there's a more overrated individual stat than interceptions in the league.

@Rusty, where did that rank? I agree that's an underrated stat!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:One thing I saw PFF note recently was that Amukamara only allowed 90 yards after catch all year. He keeps everything in front of him and isnt a liability in that regard.
It has to be one of the most underrated stats in defense. IF the WR catches the ball, are your CB's making the tackle at first contact.

I agree ... whiffs on tackles are killers (ask the Saints) so a DB who can end the play with a solid tackle after a completion is a valuable asset
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Solid, yes. Perfect, no. If you want a guy who is both solid in coverage AND gets the ball, those guys don't hit FA very often and they command $15M/year. I'm very pleased with Amukamara's solid.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

He got 7 mill last year on a prove it deal, he proved it, so 9 mill a season isn't terrible.

I would expect fuller in the 13 million range, plus or minus 1 million.
G08
Hall of Famer

$9M/year is ranked 19th in the league, which is fair for Prince.

Butler's average was $12.2; Kyle's tag has him at $12.971M, which is 8th.

I could see his ceiling being Butler's 5 yr/$61M/$30M guaranteed. Give up a little per year in order to get a higher guaranteed number.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Pff Ranks

Fuller 21st overall / 20th in coverage
Callahan 30th overall / 29th in coverage
Amukamara 41st overall / 43rd in coverage
LeBlanc 61st overall / 58th in coverage

4 corners in the top 60 seems pretty good. I would like to know completion percent against each.

AMOS 2ND overal/ 6TH in coverage
Jackson 53 overall / 44th in coverage

We know PFF is not the perfect system, but can be useful for is fans. Essentially the bears have a top 10 defensive back field without looking into the numbers much more then surface level. .
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I'm not saying Amukamara is as good as Peters, nor thst PFF grades are everything, but they were given 81.2 and 85.7 respectively in 2017. Of course some of that is down to the 5 picks that Peters got.

Now I don't know how those picks change the grading but I imagine it is significant.

Given Peters is looking at $15m per year in his next contact, are those picks worth, say, Gabriel? We might not be capped out now but it will happen and that's the kind of choice to make. Is an impact play in every two or three games worth more than a #3 receiver?

I'm much, much more concerned about the general coverage that affects every play rather than interceptions. Peters isn't a great example for my argument as he's good at both but there are plenty of players who get more interceptions than Amukamara but also give up many more completions.
Prince got $9M per year effective this year. Peters would've gotten $15M in two years because he is still on his rookie deal so an incremental $6M over Prince. Cap inflation over the next two and certainly three years easily takes care of that.

In my opinion, Pace made a mistake in not acquiring Peters. A fourth this year and a second next year for a lockdown franchise CB with a guy like Fuller on the opposite side. Have fun passing against that.
malk
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:

Prince got $9M per year effective this year. Peters would've gotten $15M in two years because he is still on his rookie deal so an incremental $6M over Prince. Cap inflation over the next two and certainly three years easily takes care of that.

In my opinion, Pace made a mistake in not acquiring Peters. A fourth this year and a second next year for a lockdown franchise CB with a guy like Fuller on the opposite side. Have fun passing against that.
Fair point, hadn't considered that. He'll be going up to $10-12m on his 5th year tag next year so he'll be $4m or so cheaper than Amukamara over the next couple of years. That does put a different spin on it though.

Never a Pace guy mind.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I hate trading away too many picks because then you just end up with high priced guys eating the cap.
UOK
Site Admin

@MarkPotash

#Bears CB Prince Amukamara said the possible return of Kyle Fuller was a factor in signing with thee Bears. "We work together well."

@Rich_Campbell

Prince on getting a multi-year after playing on a couple one-year deals: "It felt like getting drafted all over again. ...Betting on myself over and over again, with that comes a lot of risk."

@kfishbain

Prince Amukamara: “I love the mastermind that Vic is. … I feel like he calls the right play every down."
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Glad to see Prince is back. He was very solid and teams didn't often throw his way. that tells me he was covering really well.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk