Update: Kendall Wright signs w/ Vikings

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bad Flanders
MVP

Anyone heard anything about him in free agency? Everything I read sounds like he's essentially off the team even if he doesn't get picked up anywhere else but that just seems like a waste on a team that still doesn't have an actual slot receiver (word is that Gab was used almost exclusively outside). The guy doesn't seem to be highly sought after, seems like he would come cheap and he was the most consistent WR last year and felt like he'd built just a little chemistry with Mitch. But I haven't seen him on any of the potential Bears WR lists for next year. Just curious more than anything.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

If Meredith is healthy, he'll be the slot.

Wright will sign somewhere. Maybe he's waiting for the Bears to call first so he doesn't have to move...but he'll likely play somewhere. Too much talent to not get a roster spot.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

If he'll play for $2M, sign him up.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Twitter's been absolutely silent on Kendall Wright, no idea what FA visits he's lining up. I did coincidentally see that Dontrelle Inman is visiting the Steelers today or tomorrow.

That middle tier WR market still has alot that needs to settle:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018WR.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And guys like that #2 tier of Maclin, Pryor, Jordan Matthews, Mike Wallace and Decker still need to land.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I prefer we add a young WR through the draft (R4) to replace Wright.
Never Die Easy
SC Bear
Journeyman

The Huddle Free Agent Tracker lists him as gone. No other info and cannot find a confirming source. I liked him hope he lands somewhere, hope with us.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Wright is a talented kid, who is going to play for someone. But, I see him as more of a post-draft pickup. Not somebody you absolutely have to get locked up now.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
cblaz11
MVP

I'd like to draft someone and sign a mid year guy...let's put some pressure on this group. Best way to do that is go 9 deep into free training camp.
Middleguard
MVP

Mikefive wrote:If he'll play for $2M, sign him up.
If we need him, because our injured don't come around fast enough, I think that's the right price.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

With Meredith and White coming off injury I would still like to bring Wright or Inman back. I dont think that would prevent us from drafting a WR later rounds as we'd still need ST guys at worst.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Wright isn't a top FA, so until the later waves of FA kick off in earnest, he is in limbo. Last report I saw had him going to the dolphins.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Retaining Wright isn't a big deal. We have our #1 and #2 now. I'm hoping somebody like Kirk is sitting there in round 2 and we take him. Between that, Meredith and Inman, we're covered.
cblaz11
MVP

Inman seems to be leaving via free agency. I'll take Wright if it's a cheap, non guaranteed deal. Odds are he won't make it out of camp, but he's nice insurance to have in case of an injury.
Hematite
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote:Retaining Wright isn't a big deal. We have our #1 and #2 now. I'm hoping somebody like Kirk is sitting there in round 2 and we take him. Between that, Meredith and Inman, we're covered.
Personally, I much prefer best OG/C in round 2 and pray that one of Anthony Miller/Marcell Ateman are available in the 4th.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'm a bit puzzled why Gabriel was such high priority and Wright & Inman low to zero.

Based on 2016, Meredith ought to be used in the slot. But with 3 of their top 4 receivers missing all of 2017 due to serious injury, they could definitely use a reliable veteran insurance policy. And after a 2M contract last year, followed by a season that was almost exactly Wright's average, I can't think the price jumps noticeably.

But 5 WR spots are already pretty locked up and R4-5 looks like they could be really good value rounds at WR, so they may be determined to gamble on good health and go that way.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Richie
MVP

IMO, we're fine at WR now. So long as Meredith doesn't get poached, that is.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Visiting KC
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:Yeah, I'm a bit puzzled why Gabriel was such high priority and Wright & Inman low to zero.

Based on 2016, Meredith ought to be used in the slot. But with 3 of their top 4 receivers missing all of 2017 due to serious injury, they could definitely use a reliable veteran insurance policy. And after a 2M contract last year, followed by a season that was almost exactly Wright's average, I can't think the price jumps noticeably.

But 5 WR spots are already pretty locked up and R4-5 looks like they could be really good value rounds at WR, so they may be determined to gamble on good health and go that way.
IMHO, because collectively the WR group sucked (granted injuries played a significant role) and you could throw a dart at a board, replace that WR, and be better off for it.
sturf
Journeyman

Moriarty wrote:Yeah, I'm a bit puzzled why Gabriel was such high priority and Wright & Inman low to zero.
Because Gabriel is actually fast and makes the defense worry about getting beat deep or taking a bubble screen the distance. Once they signed Robinson and Burton the need was for speed, neither of which Wright or Inman have.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:Inman seems to be leaving via free agency. I'll take Wright if it's a cheap, non guaranteed deal. Odds are he won't make it out of camp, but he's nice insurance to have in case of an injury.
1. Robinson
2. Gabriel
3. Meredith
4. White
5. Bellamy
6. Gentry

He won't make it out of camp because he's not better than Bellamy or Tanner Gentry? Put the pipe down man.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Retaining Wright isn't a big deal. We have our #1 and #2 now. I'm hoping somebody like Kirk is sitting there in round 2 and we take him. Between that, Meredith and Inman, we're covered.
With our OLB and OG situations, you want us to spend a high R2 pick on a WR??? You have to be kidding. If it were me, I'd take almost any other position besides WR in R2.

wab
Mod

Unless the Bears lose Meredith, they probably shouldn't take a WR until the 6th round, if at all.

There. is. only. one. ball. people.
Hematite
Player of the Month

With the injury situation for at least half of our WR corps, I'd be much more comfortable with 1 WR prospect out of this draft. In the mid to late rounds, I just find myself looking at Anthony Miller/Marcel Ateman most times. Who do you like in the 6th if Pace went that way?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Unless the Bears lose Meredith, they probably shouldn't take a WR until the 6th round, if at all.

There. is. only. one. ball. people.
While true I disagree with premise. I firmly believe that if a draft is strong in a certain area a team should look to capitalize on targets whom slip through.

You know the 2nd and 3rd round WR group is pretty dang good. If a guy is sitting there in the 4th you take him. I think a GM would be smart to takethe strong areas in the draft and use it to collect talent.

Pace doesn't seem to think that way a whole lot. Last year in a defensive heavy draft he angered me a lot.
wab
Mod

Hematite wrote:With the injury situation for at least half of our WR corps, I'd be much more comfortable with 1 WR prospect out of this draft. In the mid to late rounds, I just find myself looking at Anthony Miller/Marcel Ateman most times. Who do you like in the 6th if Pace went that way?
I like Cedrick Wilson, DaeSean Hamilton, Korey Robertson, Keke Coutee, and Deon Cain in the later rounds.

But the Bears need a pass rusher, a guard, a DE, and maybe even a CB or ILB before a WR this year. Assuming that they are able to keep (want to keep) Meredith.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
With our OLB and OG situations, you want us to spend a high R2 pick on a WR??? You have to be kidding. If it were me, I'd take almost any other position besides WR in R2.
I'm serious. Day 1 needs to be BPA. I think somebody like Kirk fits that role. If it's somebody else it's somebody else, but right now I'm thinking Kirk and after the shit show last year with the WR position I'd be happy if we drafted him.

With AR15s ACL you just never know. There's also a good chance Kevin White gets hurt again.

OL can be addressed in later rounds and if we wind up taking Nelson at 8 there's no need in round 2. I don't believe in drafting a position for the sake of drafting a position on day 1. You can miss a lot of talent that way.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Kendall signed with the Vikes today.
wab
Mod

That’s a good pickup for them.
Bad Flanders
MVP

yeah, bummer, I was hoping they'd keep him on. I get his limitations but it's also a one in the hand is worth two in the bush sort of thing too... the guy was on the field and managing to make plays for a lot games with "better" receivers sitting on the sidelines out of their pads.

Oh well. Not worth worrying about too much obviously. Lets hope that Fuller and Prince got a lot of practice against him and know all his tells.
Richie
MVP

This would piss me off a lot more if we never made the Gabriel signing.