Jordan Howard

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:I like Jordan Howard and think he's a good player.

That said, a team should be looking to improve every spot on the roster, including Jordan Howard's.
So if you're Ryan Pace, then Mitch Trubisky could be replaced at any time. Got it. :roll:
I hope you're not comparing the value of a franchise QB to a running back...
No. Read what he wrote. He made that comparison, not me. :-P
I think you're misrepresenting what I said, but okay.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bad Flanders
MVP

thunderspirit wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

That said, a team should be looking to improve every spot on the roster, including Jordan Howard's.
So if you're Ryan Pace, then Mitch Trubisky could be replaced at any time. Got it. :roll:
I don't know, kind of splitting hairs here right? What thunderspirit said was absolutely right, YES Mitch COULD be replaced at any time. If Philly came to you and offered a straight up trade of Trubisky for Wentz, who wouldn't take that? Obviously that's not going to happen but the plausibility of how the position might be upgraded wasn't addressed in the original statement anyway, just that it's the teams job to consider everything.

I'll be pissed if they let Howard go but if someone offers a Herschel Walker deal?!?!? uh... yeah!

I guess that's how I took the original post.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Boris13c wrote:

while I agree with that in principle, I do not want the Bears to spend excessive time on finding a way of replacing Howard, who is not a weak link

all I can think of in reading these discussions is what they did when they had a perfectly serviceable good back in Thomas Jones but made RB a priority and went through the Cedric Benson fiasco ... and they did this when RB at that time was not a priority

having Jordan Howard as the starting feature RB in 2018 would not be an issue that in any way hampers the Bears
^ This ^
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

You said "every", which explicitly designates no exceptions. That's no misrepresentation. I just can't help myself with black and white's sometimes. :-P

I think we'd all agree that there's a variety of considerations involved in "improving every spot on the roster" including but not limited to... opportunity cost, contract status, future performance expectation, pay rate, character and commitment.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

And coaching and player development, which is what the Bears are counting on to improve the QB spot on the roster.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I don't see HOF when I look at Howard so while he's a good RB, he's not irreplaceable.

The only way I think he's gone, is if the Bears are concerned that his running style makes for a short shelf life and want to get what they can for him now and replace him with someone who not only fits the offense better, but whose style will help preserve his career.

Also, Jordan Howard doesn't keep me from drafting someone I perceive to be exponentially better all around and keeping Howard to be the short yardage guy.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

This is baffling. Jordan Howard is one of the most productive players in the NFL, on what has been to this point in his career, one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Statistically over the last two years, Howard is 3rd in the NFL in rushing behind Zeke and Le'Veon Bell and 2nd in the NFL in YPC behind LeSean McCoy.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This is baffling. Jordan Howard is one of the most productive players in the NFL, on what has been to this point in his career, one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Statistically over the last two years, Howard is 3rd in the NFL in rushing behind Zeke and Le'Veon Bell and 2nd in the NFL in YPC behind LeSean McCoy.
That doesn't make him better than Todd Gurley, though. That's all I'm saying.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Why can't we just have good players on our team without talking about trading them or cutting them to save money? How did we debate "should we pay our best CB" all summer and now we're talking about this? Incredible.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:How did we debate "should we pay our best CB" all summer and now we're talking about this? Incredible.
Boredom, honestly :lol:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:This is baffling. Jordan Howard is one of the most productive players in the NFL, on what has been to this point in his career, one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Agree 100% and I don’t know if you factor in salary he isn’t much more of an asset to a team than any of those guys How many of these teams can’t afford other talent because of what they are paying these guys.
Nanky
Journeyman

After watching Howard play injured last year, I love the guy. He was the heart of soul of that offense and he deserves to stay for better times. Plus he's only 23, has a cheap contract, and I believe he can get better at catching the ball. Not every running back has to be or even is all world in every aspect. It's not like AP was a great receiving threat out of the backfield, but I doubt many would take Gurley over AP. I say give Howard the benefit of the doubt, the Bears have much bigger needs than replacing Howard that's for sure.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:

That doesn't make him better than Todd Gurley, though. That's all I'm saying.
I don't think anyone said it did. But Statistically, thus far, you can't convince me he isn't close.
UOK
Site Admin

Jordan Howard in a press conference today said the Bears have told his agent they have zero plans to trade him.
G08
Hall of Famer

He looked a little thinner in the face too, dude might be in good shape!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Jordan Howard in a press conference today said the Bears have told his agent they have zero plans to trade him.
Press conference??? Today???
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:
UOK wrote:Jordan Howard in a press conference today said the Bears have told his agent they have zero plans to trade him.
Press conference??? Today???
Yeah it was the first practice of the year. Hicks and Howard talked to the media afterward.
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/ ... e2de0a537d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jordan Howard's answers on the instagram pictures were....coy, haha.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

UOK wrote:http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/ ... e2de0a537d

Jordan Howard's answers on the instagram pictures were....coy, haha.
I still think my tinfoil hat tuned in to pace and howard laughing their asses off over this one.
cblaz11
MVP

I think Howard is going to surprise some this season with his receiving ability. The guy's a worker...If he's hearing from everyone that he has this glaring deficiency my guess is he's busting his butt to improve. It's crazy to me that he's only 23.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I don't know that "surprise with receiving ability" is going to happen. But I figure a) they will work on his hands and b) they use him in the pass game with easier catches to make. It's not like he drops everything. He's just been hit or miss on catching it.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Nagy: Jordan Howard absolutely feature back for Bears
After weeks of trade speculation, Jordan Howard is locked in as the Chicago Bears' lead back.

Asked Tuesday if Howard would be the team's featured running back for the upcoming season, new coach Matt Nagy replied, "Absolutely, yeah."

"That's the beauty right now of where we're at. We're very strong at that position," Nagy added. "To have (Tarik) Cohen there as well. You're seeing all of these teams that are out there right now, they're going with multiple backs.

"To sit here and say a feature back, yeah, he's going to be the guy who lines up and gets the ball. But at the same time, we're crazy if we use [just] one back. That's not going to happen. We're going to use multiple backs."

Going back to early March, an NBC Sports report claimed Howard was involved in trade talks for ex-Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry. That report further suggested Nagy and his staff have concerns about the drop-prone power back's inefficiency as a pass catcher.

At the same time, however, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport rejected the notion that Howard was on the trade block:

Worth noting: There is zero desire by the #Bears to trade RB Jordan Howard, sources say. Doesnt sound like there will be any splashy Jarvis Landry for Howard deal.
Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 3, 2018

Nagy isn't denying that receiving ability is a weakness in Howard's game but insists the Bears can work around the problem.

"Every running back has their own strengths and weaknesses," Nagy explained Tuesday. "... Jordan has his own way of running. Anything he does that's a weakness, we're going to try to focus on that and try to get it better.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin