BLOG: They Can't All Be Winners

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:what did the title, "they all can't be winners" pertain to? the blog? because if you expect any GM to hit on 100% of his draft choices, that's just silliness.

i'll give you Kevin White and Hroniss Grasu, but when you start trolling in the Deon Bush and Deiondre Hall, those will ALWAYS be long shots. desperate for material you pick on adam shaheen and i don't know of many people who expect a guy from Ashland University to kill it in his freshman campaign. Jordan Morgan in the 5th round? we would have been super fortunate to have very many 5th rounders pan out. some do, most don't. so if that's a big dig on Pace, can't see it.

oh wait a minute, since there are some unwritten rules in this forum (you know, kill the ring type stuff), what i meant to say is this blog was the greatest blog i may have ever read. i literally creamed myself.

You have anything else?
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

UOK wrote:
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:what did the title, "they all can't be winners" pertain to? the blog? because if you expect any GM to hit on 100% of his draft choices, that's just silliness.

i'll give you Kevin White and Hroniss Grasu, but when you start trolling in the Deon Bush and Deiondre Hall, those will ALWAYS be long shots. desperate for material you pick on adam shaheen and i don't know of many people who expect a guy from Ashland University to kill it in his freshman campaign. Jordan Morgan in the 5th round? we would have been super fortunate to have very many 5th rounders pan out. some do, most don't. so if that's a big dig on Pace, can't see it.

oh wait a minute, since there are some unwritten rules in this forum (you know, kill the ring type stuff), what i meant to say is this blog was the greatest blog i may have ever read. i literally creamed myself.

You have anything else?
what? why? what are you talking about? oh shit, i wrote another post, didn't i? oh boy, let me read it.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

wow! i really don't know what to say. that was just mean, wasn't it? i know everyone is too polite to say it, but what a dick, right?

listen, i am deeply embarrassed. i'm going to have to go to church tomorrow for that one. now, if i only knew where a church was and what a church was.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

Mikefive wrote:

Dude, what a waste. I've stayed out of this up to this point. But you're too bright to simply dedicate yourself to bashing someone at a place where you're the newbie. You take a title which if anything, implies that his expectation is that 100% is impossible to achieve and somehow spin that to mean exactly the opposite? Why don't you go find a place where you can play nice with others and use your clearly capable brain for something more productive? Or at least make some effort to get along?

That's it. I'm done.
hmm, you've really given me a lot to think about with this one. what you've done here, sir, is held up a mirror and i will tell you right now, i did not like what i saw.

i thank you for your sage counsel.

now if you'll excuse me, i need to get balls deep into a bag of pork rinds and a box set of dowton abbey post fucking haste.
UOK
Site Admin

I don’t care at all if people are critical of how I run the board, how I write, my show, etc. I try to be fair, not take it all terribly seriously, and listen to my members when they air grievances. Sometimes that results in having to make unpopular decisions, but I don’t feel like I’ve ever let anybody here down too badly in the 10 years I’ve been here. I don’t expect anyone to kiss my ass, and I certainly don’t want to create an atmosphere where you agree with me...or else.

It may seem like there’s a lot of my content, what with the blog posts and the new podcast, but I have always reached out to the community for their essays or original content. I crave that stuff. Not everybody’s cup of tea, however.

Fancy, you’re clearly an awesome writer. You’ve got style, you’re well-spoken, and I dig it. I want that around here, and I think most see the same and agree. I get it if you don’t like my thoughts or feel my content isn’t up to snuff, but you came out swinging with responses that were 8s and 9s in a context where logical criticism at most would be a 6.

It came off to me, anyway, overblown to the sense of being absurd, but more to the point it kind of gave off an uncomfortable vibe. If I overreacted in return, I apologize. And to the community, if you feel like you’re hearing my voice too much, or feel as if I’ve cultivated an atmosphere of “kiss the ring,” communicate that to me via PM.

Anyways, I look forward to reading your thoughts on more actual Bears-related stuff in the future, and hopefully less sledgehammer criticism of my non-expert toilet reading/listening material.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Not that anybody cares what I think, but here's my perspective...

When you choose to join a group with mutual interest--a club, if you will--then the social presumption is that you have to make some effort to get along, since you are the newbie after all. You are expected to grant leadership some benefit of the doubt that they have earned some credibility on the basis of the group actually having membership. If the leadership was so awful, then everyone would leave and the community would cease to exist, right? If you as the new member are so opposed to the leadership that you must immediately and loudly oppose them, then why would you not just depart for another club? Instead, you would rather get into pissing matches and choose not to make some effort to blend in, then clearly that's who you are, someone who would rather fight with authority than to just engage in civil debate.

Unfortunately, this isn't an old fashioned club. It's an internet message board. Some people are wired to be natural antagonists and the internet provides plenty of places like this, which can attract such folks.

I see FancyLad as a person of high intelligence who can demonstrably write very well, and thus, could be an excellent add to this community. However, he also is clearly more interested in poking the bear than being a community member who accepts the differences among us. That's unfortunate in this context.

Fortunately for me but unfortunately overall, I've turned off seeing posts by this user. Time to move on.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

..I don't know.
I just came here for the chicas..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I only have one gripe with Pace, and it’s Mike Glennon. Even though I understand all the angles of why he did it, I fucking hate Mike Glennon.
Let. It. Go.

Glennon is gone.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:I only have one gripe with Pace, and it’s Mike Glennon. Even though I understand all the angles of why he did it, I fucking hate Mike Glennon.
Let. It. Go.

Glennon is gone.
Oh. I’m sorry, I thought we were in a thread talking about Pace’s missteps - Glennon being the biggest. As noted in the blog piece.

What a mistake I’ve made.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Let. It. Go.

Glennon is gone.
Oh. I’m sorry, I thought we were in a thread talking about Pace’s missteps - Glennon being the biggest. As noted in the blog piece.

What a mistake I’ve made.
Glennon is the obvious choice for Pace miscues. The giraffe couldn't even take a snap from center successfully. But you always seem to have a slightly irrational level of hatred for Glennon. That's all I'm saying.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:But you always seem to have a slightly irrational level of hatred for Glennon. That's all I'm saying.
This is absolutely 100% true.
G08
Hall of Famer

Whiskey you want to really see wab lose his shit?

:D <-------- shit-eating grin
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Whiskey you want to really see wab lose his shit?

Don’t do this to me. I’m having an above average day.
Hematite
Player of the Month

The draft and season better arrive pronto, or this group may cannibalize itself!!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Whiskey you want to really see wab lose his shit?

THAT was the other guy!! I was trying to remember who else WAB would want to take out back and beat with a crowbar, and I couldn't remember. Charles Leno Jr.. That's right. He had a good year. Solid LT in my opinion.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I know this discussing has petered out, but I don't think this deserves it's own thread.

I preface this with PFF metrics some times are meaningless, generally because context is sometimes missing. This statistic also includes Phil Emery.

From 2013-2017 the Bears draft picks rank 22nd over all in their WAR [win above replacement]. The Vikings rank 3rd.