BLOG: They Can't All Be Winners

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://1985edition.com/2018/04/12/they ... e-winners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this post I gloss over the misfires of the Pace era. Thanks for reading.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Had forgotten about the 2017 Hall arrest. Looks like an isolated incident, but still worth noting.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I generally love your blogs. This one felt a little like Bob from Oak Park.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:I generally love your blogs. This one felt a little like Bob from Oak Park.
Well, okay, but lucid. :evilgrin:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:I generally love your blogs. This one felt a little like Bob from Oak Park.
I'll resume being optimistic after the draft. I'm in a dreary Bears mood at the moment.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
I'll resume being optimistic after the draft. I'm in a dreary Bears mood at the moment.
You know I've been there. Historically it's after the draft though.
Adipost
MVP

Great read!
beardownbilly
Journeyman

I cannot believe how dependant everyone’s optimism for the season was on Cam Meredith. One week ago we were the darlings of the 2018 NFL season, the Rams or Eagles of the new league year. Pace was a genius for hiring Nagy, and signing Robinson, Gabriel and Burton.

Now, Pace is a chump, can't evaluate talent and we are staring another losing season in the face!

I had no idea our season, Super Bowl chances and Pace's ability to GM was so tied to signing an undrafted QB turned WR to a $5m/year deal.

I get it, 99% of fans would have re-signed Cam. It may or may not be the right decision to let him walk but all this hate on Pace is 100% out of order on this one. There is no way Pace lets Cam go without Nagy’s blessing. You've all heard the bromance between the two of them for the past two months, this will have been a joint decision with a plan for what’s next.

Just because they haven't shared that said plan with every armchair GM with access to a twitter account does not make it the wrong decision (granted, it may be the wrong decision with hindsight and then everyone has a right to be critical).

The last 24 hours have really irked me as a Bears fan, the over-reaction to not signing a guy coming off an acl and mcl tear who wasn't even guaranteed to be a starter this year is laughable. It needs to be kept in context, a bit of criticism is fine but until we know the whole story/plan, lets chill a little. I bet every single person who was critical of Pace over this move will praise him next week if the draft works out and we replace Cam with a steal of a pick.

TRUST THE PROCESS
wab
Mod

beardownbilly wrote:I cannot believe how dependant everyone’s optimism for the season was on Cam Meredith. One week ago we were the darlings of the 2018 NFL season, the Rams or Eagles of the new league year. Pace was a genius for hiring Nagy, and signing Robinson, Gabriel and Burton.

Now, Pace is a chump, can't evaluate talent and we are staring another losing season in the face!

I had no idea our season, Super Bowl chances and Pace's ability to GM was so tied to signing an undrafted QB turned WR to a $5m/year deal.

I get it, 99% of fans would have re-signed Cam. It may or may not be the right decision to let him walk but all this hate on Pace is 100% out of order on this one. There is no way Pace lets Cam go without Nagy’s blessing. You've all heard the bromance between the two of them for the past two months, this will have been a joint decision with a plan for what’s next.

Just because they haven't shared that said plan with every armchair GM with access to a twitter account does not make it the wrong decision (granted, it may be the wrong decision with hindsight and then everyone has a right to be critical).

The last 24 hours have really irked me as a Bears fan, the over-reaction to not signing a guy coming off an acl and mcl tear who wasn't even guaranteed to be a starter this year is laughable. It needs to be kept in context, a bit of criticism is fine but until we know the whole story/plan, lets chill a little. I bet every single person who was critical of Pace over this move will praise him next week if the draft works out and we replace Cam with a steal of a pick.

TRUST THE PROCESS
Yeah, Twitter is a nightmare right now.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The blog (which was well-written and fun to read) is a bit harsh on his drafts but free agency has not been kind to Pace thus far, and I think "trust the process" is for people who have a proven track record of success with their methods. Pace doesn't get to use that phrase. I'm hopeful that he'll have another draft where he finds 2-3 starters and the team continues to ascend, but today I'm looking at a team with a bunch of questions where I wish the pre-draft FA had left answers.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

He’s also been in the process of completely turning over the roster. There’s only a handful of players from the Emery era left. With that is going to come some short term free agency patches. They aren’t all supposed to work out. They have been low risk signings with minimal cap impact.

I get that we all want every free agent to explode with the Bears but that’s just not how it all works.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't understand the consternation, I see a lot of young and talented players on this roster.

Franchise QB
Franchise WR
Franchise RB
Franchise DL
Franchise CB
Franchise OLB (ehhh, let's hold off on that for now because Floyd isn't that just yet)

All those players, save for the CB, have been acquired during Pace's regime over the course of 3.5 years. That's not bad at all.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:I don't understand the consternation, I see a lot of young and talented players on this roster.

Franchise QB
Franchise WR
Franchise RB
Franchise DL
Franchise CB
Franchise OLB (ehhh, let's hold off on that for now because Floyd isn't that just yet)

All those players, save for the CB, have been acquired during Pace's regime over the course of 3.5 years. That's not bad at all.
I have an entire post set for all the positives I see in the roster and Pace's hits so far too, so don't fret. I too see the light at the end of the tunnel.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I actually like Ryan Pace. You did a pretty thorough job documenting his missteps even though the team is moving forward overall. The only thing I'll add is not trading for Marcus Peters.
wab
Mod

I only have one gripe with Pace, and it’s Mike Glennon. Even though I understand all the angles of why he did it, I fucking hate Mike Glennon.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:I only have one gripe with Pace, and it’s Mike Glennon. Even though I understand all the angles of why he did it, I fucking hate Mike Glennon.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I don't necessarily think he has done a bad job, but I don't think he has done a great job either. My confidence level in him is fairly neutral. Things are obviously very tied to Trubisky, and I hope he got that right. Yet in 3 years I can't say the roster is more talented. Sure there are reasons

It's not Meredith as one poster suggested. obviously like most I think that was a mistake. Like the blog detailed there have been a number of players who did not work out. A lot of players are still unknowns and or questions surround them.
Decatur Staley
Rookie

G08 wrote:I don't understand the consternation, I see a lot of young and talented players on this roster.

Franchise QB
Franchise WR
Franchise RB
Franchise DL
Franchise CB

I suppose it depends on how you define a "Franchise" player... IMO, a 'franchise player' has to be top 10 in the league at his position.

I would argue that we don't have a franchise RB, CB, or DL. Possibly we have a Franchise QB. We have a potential Franchise WR coming off an injury.
G08
Hall of Famer

You can substitute franchise for "young, ascending talent in that case.

Promising rookie QB, 24 year old Pro Bowl WR, 23 year old Pro Bowl RB, etc.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Franchise QB
Franchise WR
Franchise RB
Franchise DL
Franchise CB

So Franchise = Good, but not necessarily Pro Bowl? It's curious that you use that term, since in another context, "franchise" means "top 5" in the league, which doesn't apply to any Bear players, IMO. I'm thinking your definition is only your own and thus confusing. I suggest the term "Quality" instead.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Man I've got the semantics crew on my ass today :lol:

Franchise in the instance I used it originated from looking at the depleted and old roster Pace inherited. In the 3.5 years he has been here, he has overhauled most of the dead weight and acquired young, ascending talent. I use 'franchise' in this instance as saying young players that have demonstrated value AND indicate no reason to think they will not get better.

Mitch Trubisky
Jordan Howard
Tarik Cohen
Allen Robinson
Charles Leno (no he didn't draft him but he did re-sign him)
Cody Whitehair
Akiem Hicks
Eddie Goldman
Danny Trevathan
Leonard Floyd (this is debatable at the moment since I want a 10 sack season under his belt yesterday)
Kyle Fuller
Eddie Jackson
Adrian Amos (also debatable)

I'm sure I'm missing some players, but that's a damned good 13 on the whole, if you ask me.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Man I've got the semantics crew on my ass today :lol:

Franchise in the instance I used it originated from looking at the depleted and old roster Pace inherited. In the 3.5 years he has been here, he has overhauled most of the dead weight and acquired young, ascending talent. I use 'franchise' in this instance as saying young players that have demonstrated value AND indicate no reason to think they will not get better.

Mitch Trubisky
Jordan Howard
Tarik Cohen
Allen Robinson
Charles Leno (no he didn't draft him but he did re-sign him)
Cody Whitehair
Akiem Hicks
Eddie Goldman
Danny Trevathan
Leonard Floyd (this is debatable at the moment since I want a 10 sack season under his belt yesterday)
Kyle Fuller
Eddie Jackson
Adrian Amos (also debatable)

I'm sure I'm missing some players, but that's a damned good 13 on the whole, if you ask me.
Is this the point where I chide you for using the dreaded double negative? ;) :D :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

:lol: no because I don't believe they HAVE indicated reasons to think they WILL get better. It's safer to say that I have not seen anything that leads me to believe they will NOT improve rather than presume they WILL get better.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I also think things are getting better, I just think it's been damn slow and painful.

"he had to turn the team over"

The team turned over pretty soon after he arrived. He didn't have long brutal contracts and loads of dead money to deal with really. He had a few bad locker room guys and bad coaches. He dealt with BMarsh decisively, and he brought in good assistant coaches - I give him credit for those moves conveying a vision for the team. But then he proceeded to churn the entire roster like 2 times in the following three years. That was his process? Burn multiple seasons while we add good draft picks one or two at a time? He couldn't bring in guys who could stick around. The players and coaches he was replacing this year were his players. So I guess I should "trust this guy's process" of getting it right on the 3rd try? That seems like a pretty low bar for a guy who was supposed to be a whiz kid talent evaluator.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

I think he took minimal risks in some of his FA signings with the intention of always wanting to build through the draft. He could tell us this is going to be a 4-5 year process, because our cupboard was fucking barren, man. He unfortunately was the one that had ALL those failed drafts from the Angelo era (and subsequently the Emery era) fall on his head.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I guess I'm impressed by your patience? I look at the 2016 and 2017 seasons and see plenty of bad choices that slowed this thing down. It didn't have to take 4-5 years. It could have been faster if he'd identified a free agent pass rusher sooner. Or a wide receiver sooner. He could have gotten RB right on the first try. He could have hit on more olinemen picks. He could have anticipated Fuller's ascension and thus saved some money this year. There was a PED issue and a domestic violence issue. Etc etc. I'm even giving him a pass on QB because nobody does that well... but a great GM could have turned this around sooner IMO.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I guess I'm impressed by your patience? I look at the 2016 and 2017 seasons and see plenty of bad choices that slowed this thing down. It didn't have to take 4-5 years. It could have been faster if he'd identified a free agent pass rusher sooner. Or a wide receiver sooner. He could have gotten RB right on the first try. He could have hit on more olinemen picks. He could have anticipated Fuller's ascension and thus saved some money this year. There was a PED issue and a domestic violence issue. Etc etc. I'm even giving him a pass on QB because nobody does that well... but a great GM could have turned this around sooner IMO.
I'm not typically a patient person, but I witnessed Phil Emery try a quick-fix with this team and it just made things worse. I don't believe in kicking the proverbial can down the road until you finally run out of road. I also think seeing the Cubs be patient and build through the draft (yeah I know, different sport) really gave me an appreciation for stepping back and seeing the big picture of sports and how to build a roster/team.

Looking at our 53 right now compared to 3 years ago, I'm pretty happy -- and we still have a top 8 and top 39 pick to add to this roster.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Pace inherited a total shitshow and a coach that he most likely had little to no say in hiring.

The fact that we are even where we are is a testament to his potential as a GM.

OK fine, he's screwed up some draft picks and FAs. Name a GM that hasn't.

The overall direction of the organization is upwards and I personally haven't been this excited in years. Probably since we signed Julius Peppers.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

what did the title, "they all can't be winners" pertain to? the blog? because if you expect any GM to hit on 100% of his draft choices, that's just silliness.

i'll give you Kevin White and Hroniss Grasu, but when you start trolling in the Deon Bush and Deiondre Hall, those will ALWAYS be long shots. desperate for material you pick on adam shaheen and i don't know of many people who expect a guy from Ashland University to kill it in his freshman campaign. Jordan Morgan in the 5th round? we would have been super fortunate to have very many 5th rounders pan out. some do, most don't. so if that's a big dig on Pace, can't see it.

oh wait a minute, since there are some unwritten rules in this forum (you know, kill the ring type stuff), what i meant to say is this blog was the greatest blog i may have ever read. i literally creamed myself.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:what did the title, "they all can't be winners" pertain to? the blog? because if you expect any GM to hit on 100% of his draft choices, that's just silliness.

i'll give you Kevin White and Hroniss Grasu, but when you start trolling in the Deon Bush and Deiondre Hall, those will ALWAYS be long shots. desperate for material you pick on adam shaheen and i don't know of many people who expect a guy from Ashland University to kill it in his freshman campaign. Jordan Morgan in the 5th round? we would have been super fortunate to have very many 5th rounders pan out. some do, most don't. so if that's a big dig on Pace, can't see it.

oh wait a minute, since there are some unwritten rules in this forum (you know, kill the ring type stuff), what i meant to say is this blog was the greatest blog i may have ever read. i literally creamed myself.

Dude, what a waste. I've stayed out of this up to this point. But you're too bright to simply dedicate yourself to bashing someone at a place where you're the newbie. You take a title which if anything, implies that his expectation is that 100% is impossible to achieve and somehow spin that to mean exactly the opposite? Why don't you go find a place where you can play nice with others and use your clearly capable brain for something more productive? Or at least make some effort to get along?

That's it. I'm done.