NFL.com ranks Ryan Pace last among GMs w/ experience

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

UOK
Site Admin

They're basically punishing him for 2015, so no, I don't have many thoughts.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:NFL.COM GM RANKINGS

Thoughts?

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He is young and his sample size is pretty small, no biggie. What did Cutler say, "DDDDDoooonnnn'tttttt cccccaarrreee!"
wab
Mod

That's about as ridiculous of a list as there is.
G08
Hall of Famer

It's a load of bullshit. Like I said in another thread, he's been here 3.5 off-seasons and has acquired:

Mitch Trubisky
Jordan Howard
Cody Whitehair
Bobby Massie
Allen Robinson
Akiem Hicks
Eddie Goldman
Leonard Floyd
Prince Amukamara
Adrian Amos
Eddie Jackson

11 starters in 3.5 years? Come on now, that's a damn fine job considering how awful this roster was.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Things may change this year, but based on Pace's present track record I can't see how he can be rated higher. He currently has a 14-34 record as GM. When and if they start winning games he will move up on GM lists. Btw, I am all for his contract extention.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Wins and acquisition hit rate are two separate things.

Wins includes players from the previous GM. I hold Pace less responsible for our record because Phil Emery didn't leave him with many good players.

Acquisition hit rate is where we are generally fighting, and appropriately so. My position is that 11 (G08s list is fine) good players out of 100+ acquisitions is not great. It's not bad but I'm not loving the guy for it. I think he did well enough to merit the extension but he hasn't earned my trust where I don't think a surprising move might not be a mistake. My perception is that he's had as many surprise mistakes as he's had surprise wins.
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

crueltyabc wrote:Wins and acquisition hit rate are two separate things.
I know a shitload of Bears fans who would froth at the mouth at that statement. None of them are on this board, however.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Exactly why I'm here my dude. Credit to you and the mods for keeping the board generally meatball free
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

crueltyabc wrote:Exactly why I'm here my dude. Credit to you and the mods for keeping the board generally meatball free
My pleasure. The ironic thing is that I absolutely adore meatballs. I'm now google image searching for meatballs and it's not quite lunchtime yet.

wab
Mod

bbq'd meatballs is one of my all time favorite party snacks. i do mine with BBQ, a little Franks, some sauerkraut, and grape jelly. I know it sounds weird... but dayum.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:bbq'd meatballs is one of my all time favorite party snacks. i do mine with BBQ, a little Franks, some sauerkraut, and grape jelly. I know it sounds weird... but dayum.
Grape jelly's also a great thing to throw in with cocktail weenies.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Who would have thought that grape jelly and bbq sauce would make anything taste good. But add some meatballs and wienies, you have some good beer drinking food there.

As far as Pace and getting x # of starters. Remember the team was sad when he took over, so getting new starters was not that hard of a thing to do. Not taking anything away from him, but the team was shit. I think we need to just see how certain peeps produce over the next few years. The jury is still out on Trubs. Robinson has not played a game yet for the Bears. Goldman is a stud when healthy. Amos is starting caliber. Floyd? I believe the jury is still out on him as well. Some of the others are legit, just not spectacular.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:Who would have thought that grape jelly and bbq sauce would make anything taste good. But add some meatballs and wienies, you have some good beer drinking food there.

As far as Pace and getting x # of starters. Remember the team was sad when he took over, so getting new starters was not that hard of a thing to do. Not taking anything away from him, but the team was shit. I think we need to just see how certain peeps produce over the next few years. The jury is still out on Trubs. Robinson has not played a game yet for the Bears. Goldman is a stud when healthy. Amos is starting caliber. Floyd? I believe the jury is still out on him as well. Some of the others are legit, just not spectacular.

Hey hey, we're talking about meatballs and delicious related foods here!

Let's stay on topic.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Otis makes some good points, though I'd add Trevathan to the list of good players and I'm inclined to count Robinson because he's a known good player. On the other hand, how much credit does he deserve for Hicks, Trevathan, and Robinson? Lots of teams wanted those guys... it wasn't a brilliant player eval coup for him. That's why I was talking about "surprise wins". Howard, Jackson, Whitehair, and Cohen represent smart draft picks that maybe another GM doesn't make.

Also don't sleep on asian meatballs. Here's a great recipe you can make at home if you have a Whole Foods or asian grocery nearby that can sell you a little bit of lemongrass, or if you're a Blue Apron member then you should put it your queue.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

On the other hand, how much credit does he deserve for Hicks, Trevathan, and Robinson? Lots of teams wanted those guys...
But yet, those guys chose the Bears. That has to count for something.

Everyone wants to make it a black and white deal, but the reality is, it just isn't. There's a lot of layers.
Nanky
Journeyman

crueltyabc wrote:Otis makes some good points, though I'd add Trevathan to the list of good players and I'm inclined to count Robinson because he's a known good player. On the other hand, how much credit does he deserve for Hicks, Trevathan, and Robinson? Lots of teams wanted those guys... it wasn't a brilliant player eval coup for him. That's why I was talking about "surprise wins". Howard, Jackson, Whitehair, and Cohen represent smart draft picks that maybe another GM doesn't make.

Also don't sleep on asian meatballs. Here's a great recipe you can make at home if you have a Whole Foods or asian grocery nearby that can sell you a little bit of lemongrass, or if you're a Blue Apron member then you should put it your queue.
Pace deserves a lot of credit for signing Hicks, signed him purely based on potential and it's worked out perfectly! He wasn't a big name free agent in any way when he first signed with the Bears.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Ikea's weird generic Swedish meatballs are the only thing that makes shopping there worth it. With lingonberry jelly. mmmmmmmmmm.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Sometimes meatballs with spaghetti sauce does the trick. Throw them on some nice Italian sweet bread with a little Monterey jack, and you got a party.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:bbq'd meatballs is one of my all time favorite party snacks. i do mine with BBQ, a little Franks, some sauerkraut, and grape jelly. I know it sounds weird... but dayum.
Had never considered BBQ sauce and grape jelly, but many BBQs are raisin based in their sauce so it makes sense. Even BBQs not raisin based would generally mix those two sweets well. Bravo to you sir for innovating.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:Otis makes some good points, though I'd add Trevathan to the list of good players and I'm inclined to count Robinson because he's a known good player. On the other hand, how much credit does he deserve for Hicks, Trevathan, and Robinson? Lots of teams wanted those guys... it wasn't a brilliant player eval coup for him. That's why I was talking about "surprise wins". Howard, Jackson, Whitehair, and Cohen represent smart draft picks that maybe another GM doesn't make.

Pace deserves a lot of credit for signing Hicks, signed him purely based on potential and it's worked out perfectly! He wasn't a big name free agent in any way when he first signed with the Bears.
I remembered liking him and being upset that the saints let him go, but you're right... two teams let him go for a borderline starter deal. That's a good find considering he's a top tier starter now. Credit duly assigned
xyt in the discord chats
IotaNet
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:Exactly why I'm here my dude. Credit to you and the mods for keeping the board generally meatball free
[video][/video]
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mine are tortilla chips and almost any kind of dip. I have no self control when it comes to that stuff. I deliberately leave the bag in the pantry and grab handfuls at a time.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I kind of figured the response to this would be to brush it off. I pretty much agree.

However the wins vs hit rate. GMs get graded on both. Truth is in a worst to first league where rebuilds don't exist, Pace hasn't succeeded. Right wrong indifferent.

I am very neutral about Pace. Off the top of my head I would give him a C grade. 4 years cap friendly situation high draft picks. Production needs to happen, excuses need to end.