Poll of agents shows Bears one of NFL's least prepared

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 528741002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4th worst team in the league at negotiation of contracts, per a poll of NFL players.
wab
Mod

Jesus. Everyone shitting on the Bears today.
G08
Hall of Famer

This one bothered me because I think it has some merit.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

Of course agents are going to be pissed. No one wants a one year deal for their client...and that's all the Bears have been handing out lately.

The Bears have proven that they pay guys that are worth paying, and cut guys (mostly) that aren't.
UOK
Site Admin

It's fucking baffling that Chris Ballard is so high up there.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm having a bad week - This was a poll of AGENTS, not players.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Yeah, this just means the Bears are smart about giving out their contracts
UOK
Site Admin

ramentaschen wrote:Yeah, this just means the Bears are smart about giving out their contracts
Essentially yes, it's agents being pissed off that Pace doesn't hand out big contracts all the time.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ok but then the agents influence the players to deal with another team, or it starts negotiations off in a contentious way...

I feel like this is a poll where you want to be towards the middle
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:Ok but then the agents influence the players to deal with another team, or it starts negotiations off in a contentious way...

I feel like this is a poll where you want to be towards the middle
Winning fixes a lot of this.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Maybe he isn't good at this gents.

Question was which team was most prepared. We can dissect this into whatever but agents say he isn't.

Put what ever context you want but that's the league perception based on this.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:Of course agents are going to be pissed. No one wants a one year deal for their client...and that's all the Bears have been handing out lately.

The Bears have proven that they pay guys that are worth paying, and cut guys (mostly) that aren't.
I would be more willing to believe this if not for Bill Belichick being in the top 3.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Meh, it agents. Every year we get to listen to Scott Boras whine about the cubs not spending high dollars or enough years on every single free agent he represents, yet they are still in the top 5-10 in spending at the least.

Agents for the most part are self serving money grubbing douches.
wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:Of course agents are going to be pissed. No one wants a one year deal for their client...and that's all the Bears have been handing out lately.

I would be more willing to believe this if not for Bill Belichick being in the top 3.
Again, winning. I imagine there is a direct correlation between being in the super bowl every year and lack of complaining.
Richie
MVP

I am quite fine with this. If I was an agent, I'd hate the teams who are tight with the checkbook. Pace saw the missteps of the previous front office and has played things really tight. Which is good. He doesn't overpay for anyone. He hasn't handed out a huge deal yet. That may change as we begin to compete. However, he's being cautious and playing the long game. Which I think will pay off.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:I am quite fine with this. If I was an agent, I'd hate the teams who are tight with the checkbook. Pace saw the missteps of the previous front office and has played things really tight. Which is good. He doesn't overpay for anyone. He hasn't handed out a huge deal yet. That may change as we begin to compete. However, he's being cautious and playing the long game. Which I think will pay off.
kind of how i'm leaning on this. i know it's kind of meatball, but we know there have been a couple of free agents that pace has thrown his hands up in the air and been like, "ha, no way, too expensive" and obviously agents arent going to like that. if they choose to construe that as "he should have understood how expensive aj bouye or whoever was going to be, thus he was unprepared" ... /jerk off motion.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:[ if they choose to construe that as "he should have understood how expensive aj bouye or whoever was going to be, thus he was unprepared" ... /jerk off motion.
Obviously the preparedness is a word open into interpretation. Your response made me think of the Glennon contract. I don't think Pace throws nickels around like man hole covers. I also don't know how will he sees the market.

The Trey Burton, Dion Sims, Wheaton, Cooper got some money. Burton will be the 6th highest paid TE. He has 63 receptions 629 yards in 4 years.

I am playing the the other side here. I like some things he has done. However we have little proof he is good at this.
malk
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:[ if they choose to construe that as "he should have understood how expensive aj bouye or whoever was going to be, thus he was unprepared" ... /jerk off motion.
Obviously the preparedness is a word open into interpretation. Your response made me think of the Glennon contract. I don't think Pace throws nickels around like man hole covers. I also don't know how will he sees the market.

The Trey Burton, Dion Sims, Wheaton, Cooper got some money. Burton will be the 6th highest paid TE. He has 63 receptions 629 yards in 4 years.

I am playing the the other side here. I like some things he has done. However we have little proof he is good at this.
Yup. I'd add that Pace isn't careful with the chequebook per se, just doesn't like spending lots on individuals and instead spreads it around more mid priced players (which may be at the top end of their position). I'd prefer our team to be virtually all stars/rookies/vet min guys but I'm very much in the minority.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)