Any (Legit) Available EDGE options out there?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Kwiatkoski played all three spots in Gibson’s 3-3-5 at WVU. He’s spent some time coming off the edge - though he wasn’t necessarily productive.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Pass Rush will be somewhat of a weakness, at least from an Edge perspective until we address it again early in next year's draft where the talent for Edge rushers is going to be muuuuch better and deeper. At least it will be on paper as of right now.

I'm really hoping Floyd can take that next step and be the double digit sack guy for us. He's shown a lot of promise and flashes - but he needs to stay on the field and produce consistently.
Never Die Easy
Adipost
MVP

Chris McCain is still available.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Fangio has been pretty adamant that he doesn't like to blitz so I don't think we'll see too much more zone blitz tan we have. Maybe against certain teams who's QB folds in the face of the blitz, but not against Rodgers.

We all knew that we weren't going to "fix" everything in one draft/offseason. Count me as a guy who thinks Houston will be brought back for cheap.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

Is Dee Ford still available? Walterfootball shows him as available but that can't be right.

I'd like to bring back Houston but I'd pass on Willy Young.

Any chance we could trade Shane Ray away from Denver?
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Bringing back Houston is an OK idea, if someone gets hurt. But bring him back, just to have, would cost the development time of someone younger. He would be just fine, and I wouldn't mind it. I'd rather see how Lynch and Fitts work out for the team first.
malk
Head Coach

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:Bringing back Houston is an OK idea, if someone gets hurt. But bring him back, just to have, would cost the development time of someone younger. He would be just fine, and I wouldn't mind it. I'd rather see how Lynch and Fitts work out for the team first.
Who is he blocking the development time of?

I don't think Houston is coming back but I think people forget that his first year, with the injury, was with Mel Tucker as DC. Everybody sucked.

In 2015 he moved to linebacker and led the team with 8 sacks whilst playing only 40.4% of the defensive snaps.
2016 he tore his other ACL.
2017 he was third on the team in sacks with 4 playing 21.8% of defensive snaps. Worth noting that that was over 5 games so 21.8% out of a possible 31.25%.

His durability might be in question (though he's clearly fully back from both ACL tears) but I absolutely fail to see how he wouldn't contribute in Vic's scheme as a bit part player. He'll be available for little more than the vet min so I'd bring him in in a flash.

EDIT, corrected ok to of in the first sentence.
Last edited by malk on Wed May 02, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Kwiatkoski played all three spots in Gibson’s 3-3-5 at WVU. He’s spent some time coming off the edge - though he wasn’t necessarily productive.
Yeah I think Wabs idea is more for base, and I only remember him rushing from inside at WVU. However i am sure her has from other areas.
Richie
MVP

Nanky wrote:You can take David Bass off the list . . .

Jets re-signed OLB David Bass.

Bass recorded 3.5 sacks in 13 games with the Jets last year. He should compete for a rotational role in camp.
I had no clue he was still in the league. I just remember we were desperate in 2013 after a wave of injuries. We signed him off the street and plugged him in vs Baltimore in that tornado situation. Had a pick six. I'll always remember him for that. lol
cblaz11
MVP

Also, Lamar Houston is 30 years old. He proved to me last year in a limited sample that he's got something left in the tank.

I'm not saying he's the long term answer, but I'd feel much better with him on the roster backing up Lynch and Floyd.
wab
Mod

The Bears relative inactivity at the edge rusher position tells me they have a plan for the guys they have. IMO, that plan is seeing if Lynch can rekindle the production he had under Fangio with the Niners. The rest of that plan involves drafting a pass rusher next year if he can't.
G08
Hall of Famer

Shane Ray (DEN) will not have his 5th year option picked up.

If Elway comes calling and says he'll take a 4th for him, do you do it?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Shane Ray (DEN) will not have his 5th year option picked up.

I might. I'd prefer to give him Bullard though.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:

Could be a better fit for both players. I believe Denver is running a 4-3 now. Bullard seems a bit better suited there with Ray a bit better suited to our defense.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
wab wrote:

Could be a better fit for both players. I believe Denver is running a 4-3 now. Bullard seems a bit better suited there with Ray a bit better suited to our defense.
The Bears (Fangio or Pace) seem to want the 1 gap 3T type player for their 4I position. It explains Bullard, Nicholas, I think the 49ers drafted 2 DL in his stay one a more traditional 5T and the other more of a 3T.
cblaz11
MVP

Cliff Avril released.

Not sure about the neck injury, but he said he wants to continue playing.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

cblaz11 wrote:Cliff Avril released.

Not sure about the neck injury, but he said he wants to continue playing.
We have cap space, I say give him a good deal that is incentive laden and just moderate guarantees. I'd be happy with a 1 year $5 mil deal. If he plays in 15 games then gets a $2 mil bonus.
cblaz11
MVP

He's definitely worth a look...Just not sure about his health. I agree though, if he checks out offer him an incentive laden deal.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Cliff Avril is 32 and just failed his physical after a neck injury last October. Interesting consideration if you're a pass rusher away from winning a SB. But a bad idea for us.

If Pace could somehow manage to go thru the draft without doing better than picking up Aaron Lynch at that spot and then pulling a rabbit out of a hat to find a pass rusher ala Josh Sitton, he should be in the running for front office exec of the year.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

No thanks to Avril for the reasons Fiver mentioned.
Never Die Easy