2018 Chicago Bears Offense

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Will the Bears offense be ranked in the top half of the NFL in 2018?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 33
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think we'll have a top 10 defense and for offense I think we're 20th and minimum and maybe 10th at best. Feeling optimistic right now so I voted yes. If the offense doesn't work its because we have too many gadget players and the offense becomes too complicated for the young players to handle after a couple of injuries occur and adjustments are made.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

There are a LOT of new skill position players getting together with MT10 for the very first time, in a brand new offense. I'm going to temper my expectations but hope for the best.

Top half in 2018? That has happened exactly 6 times in the past 27 years. I'm not holding my breath.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:we have too many gadget players and the offense becomes too complicated for the young players to handle after a couple of injuries occur and adjustments are made.
This is one of my concerns. Gabriel, Cohen, and to an extent Burton are all "gadget" role specific dudes. And this offense is designed to have those gadgets work. And if they don't - due to injury or ineffectiveness - the offense could tank and become one dimensional. "Throw the ball way up in the air and hope Robinson catches it" isn't a sustainable formula.

BUT - on paper, this is a talented offense.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's why I voted no...

1. QBs... Better... Biscuit in year 2 should be better. And Daniels has to be better than the giraffe.
2. RBs... Same... All the same guys.
3. WRs... Better... Easily so.
4. TEs... Same... We swapped Miller for Burton. Did Shaheen play enough to be significantly better?
5. OL... Same... We traded Sitton for the rookie Daniels, which might be a net minus. If Long is healthier a net plus?
6. Coaching... Better, but also a big transition.

We're definitely better on paper. Just not everywhere. Coaching is likely better, but we have a guy driving the boat who is has a one page resume and will be learning on the job. When you design an offense where the big word is "obsessed", that tells you it's going to be a complex offense. For a 1st year QB changing systems. For a receiving group that has been almost completely turned over. Biscuit, Robinson, Gabriel, Miller and Burton--the principal targets--have just recently been introduced to the guy throwing the ball. Continuity coming into this year is near zero. We can expect plenty of bad throws due to... I thought you were going to cut quicker... or... I saw a sight adjustment that you didn't... or... when the play broke down, I thought you were going to do X instead of Y. And honestly, our new coaches leadership skills are completely unknown. How will he react when the chips are down and it's all on him?

I'm not saying we can't make it into the top half. But there's just so much change and uncertainty going into this season. It's a given to say the Bears will be better on O. But how much better is a lot of room for argument. We could rise with improvement above 12 more teams--more than 1/3 of the league. And that still doesn't put us at the halfway mark. Hence, my NO vote.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would say, with additions, changes, etc 15-10 in offensive ranking is doable.
malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:Here's why I voted no...

1. QBs... Better... Biscuit in year 2 should be better. And Daniels has to be better than the giraffe.
2. RBs... Same... All the same guys.
3. WRs... Better... Easily so.
4. TEs... Same... We swapped Miller for Burton. Did Shaheen play enough to be significantly better?
5. OL... Same... We traded Sitton for the rookie Daniels, which might be a net minus. If Long is healthier a net plus?
6. Coaching... Better, but also a big transition.

We're definitely better on paper. Just not everywhere. Coaching is likely better, but we have a guy driving the boat who is has a one page resume and will be learning on the job. When you design an offense where the big word is "obsessed", that tells you it's going to be a complex offense. For a 1st year QB changing systems. For a receiving group that has been almost completely turned over. Biscuit, Robinson, Gabriel, Miller and Burton--the principal targets--have just recently been introduced to the guy throwing the ball. Continuity coming into this year is near zero. We can expect plenty of bad throws due to... I thought you were going to cut quicker... or... I saw a sight adjustment that you didn't... or... when the play broke down, I thought you were going to do X instead of Y. And honestly, our new coaches leadership skills are completely unknown. How will he react when the chips are down and it's all on him?

I'm not saying we can't make it into the top half. But there's just so much change and uncertainty going into this season. It's a given to say the Bears will be better on O. But how much better is a lot of room for argument. We could rise with improvement above 12 more teams--more than 1/3 of the league. And that still doesn't put us at the halfway mark. Hence, my NO vote.
The thing is, where we're better there's the potential to be a lot better. 2nd year Trubisky is exciting and it's reasonable to expect a fairly significant step up for him after a solid rookie year. Our wideouts are just night and day from where they were. The offensive coaching, even with the transition and some year one wrinkles, has to be better than last season or else we've made a terrible mistake!

Even at tight end, Burton played fewer snaps than Miller and got the same receptions and yards plus 5 touchdowns to 2. Miller was obviously limited by injury whilst Burton's playtime will almost certainly increase. As for Shaheen, playing in nearly 25% of the offensive snaps means he got some gametime, even if it didn't result in that many targets. It's again reasonable to expect an improvement from his rookie year, at least in terms of responsibility.

Offensive line is the big question mark but just having a healthy Kush gives us better insurance for either Long or the rook not playing as hoped.

I'm ever the optimist in the off season but I fully expect to have crazy expectations by the end of training camp. The potential for this offence is amazing so just expecting top half is the minimum for me.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Sugashane
Player of the Month

We were around 40 yards under the middle of the pack offense in yards. That was with shit like Bellamy starting 7 games, Sims starting 14, Inman starting 7, Gentry starting 2, Thopmpson and McBrided starting 3, etc. Add in Frodo's run-run-pass on 3rd and long playcalling and I have no doubt we can be a measly 40 yards better. We have added 3 guys better than anything we fielded out wide this year, drafted another that likely would have taken the number one role, and Howard should see 7 man fronts regularly for the first time in his young career.

For points we were just under 5 points away from middle of the road, so that should be attainable with even a moderately improved offense.

Not saying top 10 or anything drastic like the LA Rams' explosion, but we should at least be able to expect average this year.
IotaNet
MVP

Sugashane wrote:We were around 40 yards under the middle of the pack offense in yards. That was with shit like Bellamy starting 7 games, Sims starting 14, Inman starting 7, Gentry starting 2, Thopmpson and McBrided starting 3, etc. Add in Frodo's run-run-pass on 3rd and long playcalling and I have no doubt we can be a measly 40 yards better. We have added 3 guys better than anything we fielded out wide this year, drafted another that likely would have taken the number one role, and Howard should see 7 man fronts regularly for the first time in his young career.

For points we were just under 5 points away from middle of the road, so that should be attainable with even a moderately improved offense.

Not saying top 10 or anything drastic like the LA Rams' explosion, but we should at least be able to expect average this year.
Well reasoned -- great post! :thumbsup:

With that said, I think there are a few too many moving parts this year. In some cases, I think we will take a step or two back before we move forward. I am geeked for the future of this team but I think the real offensive improvement will come in 2019.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

My way too early guesstimates for offensive production:

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:My way too early guesstimates for offensive production:

Dion Sims... $250,000 per YARD of production. $750,000 per catch. Not too far off. :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
sturf
Journeyman

1. How healthy is Allen Robinson? Is going to threaten down the field and force safety help, or he just a big possession receiver.

2. Is Trey Burton everything they hope he is. He doesn't have to have a ton of catches to be worth the money, but he does have to cause conflicts for the defense. Can he both block well enough, and win enough 1 on 1 matchups as a receiver to force teams into difficult decisions about whether to stay in base or go to a sub-package. Ideally with 12 personnel they can make base defenses declare zone/man and get linebacker matchups in the pass game with motions, especially by moving Burton from TE all the way outside and isolated as the X reciver. And then if a team decides to treat Burton like a WR and go to their sub-package the Bears can motion Burton back into 2 TE sets and consistently run the ball down the defense's throat.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

According to Bleacher Report’s “Post Draft Offense Power Rankings” the Bears are now #13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LacertineForest
MVP

After Trestman was hired, the Bears went from 29th overall in passing yards in 2012 to 5th in 2013 and set franchise records for total yards, passing yards, passing touchdowns, and first downs.

I'm not necessarily expecting that big of a leap, but I do expect to see a huge improvement - at least to 15th in total offense. If we don't, then it's going to be another long season ending in another top-10 pick come April.
UOK
Site Admin

Part of that was having Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, and Bennett all giving Cutler the best receiving group he maybe ever had in his career.

Part of that was the league not really knowing Trestman's tendencies as a playcaller.

Part of that was the still-fresh enforcement of pass interference as a spot foul.
LacertineForest
MVP

Certainly those things are true, but the point remains that we have seen a big offensive turnaround from one season to another with a new coach, even in recent Bears history.

With the new coaching staff and emphasis placed on revamping our offense, I will be highly disappointed if this team is below average, offensively.
G08
Hall of Famer

Oh, what the hell:

1st year for Chiefs: 32nd to 6th in scoring
1st year for Eagles: 13th to 16th in scoring, then to 3rd

I suppose anything is possible.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:My way too early guesstimates for offensive production:

Wow. I think that's a bit on the optimistic side, but I like it. I think Cohen gets 1000 yards between rushing and receiving. Howard will be just over 1000 yards due to the way that Nagy will use him. I also think that Shaheen plays a larger role. Maybe 400+ yards for the year. But overall I would love to see those numbers. That means the Bears offense averages over 400 yards per game. When was the last time that happened??
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: That means the Bears offense averages over 400 yards per game. When was the last time that happened??
Never.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: That means the Bears offense averages over 400 yards per game. When was the last time that happened??
Never.

As G08 correctly posts - the Bears have never done it.

No team accomplished 400yds a game last season, but 3 teams were able to hit that mark in the 2016/2017 season.

2018 gonna be lit.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Never.
Oh I'm surprised. I figured the Erik Kramer let teams might've done it once. Guess not.
Umbali
MVP

I will say yes assuming injury bug doesnt hit us.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers