Update: Kevin White 5th year option declined by Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:
Moriarty wrote:I'm guessing this doesn't backfire like Fuller's did.
If Pace would have picked up the 5th year option on White he would have been ran out of town while being tarred and feathered. It would have been close to 14 million for him if my memory serves me correctly.
And White would have to pass a physical next year in order for the Bears to be able to cut him. Good luck with that, lol.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I figure Alshon didn't have a huge market. Missing a few games was a big worry. If white dominates this year how big can his market be? Probably fairly small, due to years of not playing.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I figure Alshon didn't have a huge market. Missing a few games was a big worry. If white dominates this year how big can his market be? Probably fairly small, due to years of not playing.
That's the thing, even if he's healthy for 16 games (assuming we have no injuries) I don't see how he can dominate behind Robinson/Gabriel/Miller/Burton/Cohen/Howard.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:I figure Alshon didn't have a huge market. Missing a few games was a big worry. If white dominates this year how big can his market be? Probably fairly small, due to years of not playing.
That's the thing, even if he's healthy for 16 games (assuming we have no injuries) I don't see how he can dominate behind Robinson/Gabriel/Miller/Burton/Cohen/Howard.
There will be plenty of 4 WR sets where you have Robinson/Gabriel/Miller/Burton or White, on the field. He will get 25-30 pass catching attempts throughout the season. What he does with them is up to him.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
There will be plenty of 4 WR sets where you have Robinson/Gabriel/Miller/Burton or White, on the field. He will get 25-30 pass catching attempts throughout the season. What he does with them is up to him.
Exactly, and what kind of market is there for a (as of now) #7 overall pick WR bust that is coming off a 30 rec season? None, I would think. So does Pace try to cover his ass and bring him back for cheap? Maybe a prove-it deal or incentives for each game he's active?

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Z Bear
MVP

I have a different opinion that most on here.... I think he excels in this offense and is a clear #2 receiver at seasons end. WV runs a spread and White made the bulk of his yards after the catch. Look at what he did at WV then look at what the Chiefs receivers did last year. He is the most physically gifted receiver on the team as far as size and speed, if he can stay healthy he should put up decent numbers. No on will be willing to give him $14m a year, but if he stays healthy and puts up 800 yards and 5 TDs he will get more money than Meredith got.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote:I have a different opinion that most on here.... I think he excels in this offense and is a clear #2 receiver at seasons end. WV runs a spread and White made the bulk of his yards after the catch. Look at what he did at WV then look at what the Chiefs receivers did last year. He is the most physically gifted receiver on the team as far as size and speed, if he can stay healthy he should put up decent numbers. No on will be willing to give him $14m a year, but if he stays healthy and puts up 800 yards and 5 TDs he will get more money than Meredith got.
For a guy that hasn't put up a total of 200 yds yet in 3 seasons and 0 tds, you have him doing an awful lot.

He is option #4 or #5 unless someone gets hurt. They aren't going to piss off gabriel 1 year into his deal so he is on the field a lot, robinson is #1, Burton is probably option #2 or #3 depending on the set, then you have cohen. Shaheen probably gets more targets, catches and TD's than white, even if white stays healthy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
Z Bear wrote:I have a different opinion that most on here.... I think he excels in this offense and is a clear #2 receiver at seasons end. WV runs a spread and White made the bulk of his yards after the catch. Look at what he did at WV then look at what the Chiefs receivers did last year. He is the most physically gifted receiver on the team as far as size and speed, if he can stay healthy he should put up decent numbers. No on will be willing to give him $14m a year, but if he stays healthy and puts up 800 yards and 5 TDs he will get more money than Meredith got.
For a guy that hasn't put up a total of 200 yds yet in 3 seasons and 0 tds, you have him doing an awful lot.

He is option #4 or #5 unless someone gets hurt. They aren't going to piss off gabriel 1 year into his deal so he is on the field a lot, robinson is #1, Burton is probably option #2 or #3 depending on the set, then you have cohen. Shaheen probably gets more targets, catches and TD's than white, even if white stays healthy.
This.

And then there's Miller.

The biggest risk with Kevin White at this point is that the Bears cut him loose, he joins another team and becomes a Pro Bowler. It would be just one more middle finger from White. Whatever. They should still cut him. Worst first round draft choice for us that I can remember and I remember Enis, McNown, Benson, Stan Thomas and the list goes on.
Z Bear
MVP

You are labeling him a bust because of freakishly bad luck with injuries. Enis, McNown, and Thomas did not have the skill or desire to be good football players. Benson was not a complete bust as he had a few good years in Cincy after he left here. Benson was just drafted into a bad situation because the locker room loved Thomas Jones and no one on the team backed Benson (including me, I thought that was a completely wasted pick as they had much greater needs than a RB that year). Frankly we have no idea what Kevin White offers on the filed because he is never on it. As I said, my OPINION on him is that he will have a decent year because he offers more than Gabriel or Miller athletically. I could be dead wrong but no one will know until September.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:

It's one thing for a guy to put up 200 yards in 48 games (3 full seasons) and quite another to do that in your first 5 games.

I'm kinda with Z on this one. Broken bones are freak injuries. It's not the same as a guy with a bad knee, shoulder or ankle. If White can learn to run decent routes--yet to be seen IMO--there's reason to think he'd be the #2.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think White's next injury, freak or not, will probably be the end of his chance to play in the NFL ... as said before, no one is wishing bad things on the dude ... he just seems really unlucky

hoping for the best from him, but am expecting nothing
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:You are labeling him a bust because of freakishly bad luck with injuries. Enis, McNown, and Thomas did not have the skill or desire to be good football players. Benson was not a complete bust as he had a few good years in Cincy after he left here. Benson was just drafted into a bad situation because the locker room loved Thomas Jones and no one on the team backed Benson (including me, I thought that was a completely wasted pick as they had much greater needs than a RB that year). Frankly we have no idea what Kevin White offers on the filed because he is never on it. As I said, my OPINION on him is that he will have a decent year because he offers more than Gabriel or Miller athletically. I could be dead wrong but no one will know until September.
A draft pick needs to produce on the field relative to their draft spot otherwise they are a bust. Who cares if its injuries or some other reason? White has not produced like a #7 overall draft choice.

Chris Benson never came close to producing like a #4 overall draft choice until after he left the Bears to go to Cincy. He's a bust too.
Z Bear
MVP

The 4 years in Cincy he had over 4,000 yards and 20 TDs rushing. While not Hall of Fame production, that is better than average.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Z Bear wrote:The 4 years in Cincy he had over 4,000 yards and 20 TDs rushing. While not Hall of Fame production, that is better than average.
You can only look at the production for the team that drafted him. He was a bust for the bears and a good free agent pickup for the Bengals.

Look at it this way, if you could go back in time would you draft white again knowing what was coming. Same could be said with Cedric Benson.
G08
Hall of Famer

Read this. I got wood.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... evin-white" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nanky
Journeyman

Definitely pulling for White, would be a great story for him and the Bears if he can live up to his potential!
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'm definitely pulling for White as well. I know many of us hated the pick or whatnot but there's no point in being pessimistic with him any longer. He's had some of the worst luck with injuries I've seen, just hope he can stay healthy and show what he can do. Whether that's good or bad, just to have the opportunity to be healthy to do it will be enough for me.
Never Die Easy
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Read this. I got wood.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... evin-white" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hopefully he can do that in a game when its full contact....more than once.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:Read this. I got wood.

Hopefully he can do that in a game when its full contact....more than once.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

yeaaaaAAAAAAAahhhhhhhh

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bonus points for the GnR reference.