Peter King says the Bears had the best offseason...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

King's Praise for Bears/Pace

I thought the Bears had a GREAT offseason. If you take into account;

1. Firing of John Fox
2. The quick hiring of Matt Nagy
3. The coaching staff they were able to assemble;
-Retaining Fangio
-Hellfrich
-Heistand
4. The free agents they landed;
-Retaining Fuller
-Robinson
-Gabriel
-Burton
5. Their draft picks

It's hard to argue with him.

Overall the Bears have positioned themselves to go from a five win team, to potentially making the playoffs.
Umbali
MVP

I agree with all of that.

However on a side note. I used to love reading Peter King back when I read him in the actual SI magazine. Over the years he has gotten way to preachy and negative for my tastes. Its easy to look at the Bears this off season and be impressed, but that doesnt make Peter Kings writings something I would stand up and applaud.

As soon as something bad happens with us he will be among the first to criticize us.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wab
Mod

Peter King's opinion and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

I think the Bears have done exceptionally well for themselves this offseason, but none of that really matters if they don't do well during the season.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:Peter King's opinion and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

I think the Bears have done exceptionally well for themselves this offseason, but none of that really matters if they don't do well during the season.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I think the team has bought into Nagy and the plan for the team hook line and sinker. I think the guys will rally to make plays so winning games will come down to winning the individual battles in key moments. Staying healthy, will play s huge part in that this year.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

A lot of people have been hard on Pace but he's done one hell of a job putting together a great staff and getting possibly our first legit franchise QB since Jim McMahon. I think Pace took the safe route and maybe listened too much to the Bears brass and Accorsi and that might have been just being new to the role of GM or what not but looking back Fox did have a good track record of turning around a franchise unfortunately it never came to pass with our beloved. I was never a fan of Fox (as a HC for the Bears) but that's all in the past. I did enjoy watching him when he was with Carolina and though he was a good coach back then but it was obvious when he was in Denver his boat sailed.

Another thing a lot of people say Nagy is going to learn on the job this year as HC (I agree) but, what people I think are forgetting is they have Hellfrich and he has the experience that Nagy can utilize. That's probably just as big if not bigger of a hire than Heistand with this offensive coaching staff. He knows the spread offense better than anyone and he can bring that wisdom to assist in creating a offense that will bring the Bears into the next generation.

I really think Da Bears are going to surprise a lot of people this year. So Stoked!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Richie
MVP

Only blemish (at the time) looked to be Meredith.

However, that was more than erased for me when they drafted Miller. With whom I have a total man-crush on and think will be a pro bowler. FWIW
Richie
MVP

Knuckles wrote:A lot of people have been hard on Pace but he's done one hell of a job putting together a great staff and getting possibly our first legit franchise QB since Jim McMahon. I think Pace took the safe route and maybe listened too much to the Bears brass and Accorsi and that might have been just being new to the role of GM or what not but looking back Fox did have a good track record of turning around a franchise unfortunately it never came to pass with our beloved. I was never a fan of Fox (as a HC for the Bears) but that's all in the past. I did enjoy watching him when he was with Carolina and though he was a good coach back then but it was obvious when he was in Denver his boat sailed.

Another thing a lot of people say Nagy is going to learn on the job this year as HC (I agree) but, what people I think are forgetting is they have Hellfrich and he has the experience that Nagy can utilize. That's probably just as big if not bigger of a hire than Heistand with this offensive coaching staff. He knows the spread offense better than anyone and he can bring that wisdom to assist in creating a offense that will bring the Bears into the next generation.

I really think Da Bears are going to surprise a lot of people this year. So Stoked!
I don't even understand what there is to criticize about Pace. A few mid-tier priced free agent signings that didn't pan out? In years that we were never contending in anyway and cost us nothing in the big picture?

Look where we were when Pace took over. Look where we are now. Enough said. I don't know what the hell to tell people who thought this ship was going to be turned around overnight after the Trestman/Emery era. Which wasn't even officially over (IMO) until we finally got all of Emery's absurd contracts all off of our books. It was always a 5 year project and we have so much promise heading into year #4. We're right on target to be contending by year #5.

I have believed in Pace's process since day 1. His calculated, analytical and patient approach was the only option following Emery's catastrophic "I don't give a damn! To hell with the cap and building a team! Sign everybody!" tactics. It was the only way out of the nightmare which was created.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Knuckles wrote:A lot of people have been hard on Pace but he's done one hell of a job putting together a great staff and getting possibly our first legit franchise QB since Jim McMahon. I think Pace took the safe route and maybe listened too much to the Bears brass and Accorsi and that might have been just being new to the role of GM or what not but looking back Fox did have a good track record of turning around a franchise unfortunately it never came to pass with our beloved. I was never a fan of Fox (as a HC for the Bears) but that's all in the past. I did enjoy watching him when he was with Carolina and though he was a good coach back then but it was obvious when he was in Denver his boat sailed.

I don't even understand what there is to criticize about Pace. A few mid-tier priced free agent signings that didn't pan out? In years that we were never contending in anyway and cost us nothing in the big picture?

Look where we were when Pace took over. Look where we are now. Enough said. I don't know what the hell to tell people who thought this ship was going to be turned around overnight after the Trestman/Emery era. Which wasn't even officially over (IMO) until we finally got all of Emery's absurd contracts all off of our books. It was always a 5 year project and we have so much promise heading into year #4. We're right on target to be contending by year #5.

I have believed in Pace's process since day 1. His calculated, analytical and patient approach was the only option following Emery's catastrophic "I don't give a damn! To hell with the cap and building a team! Sign everybody!" tactics. It was the only way out of the nightmare which was created.
I agree with your statement. Pace is really doing a great job.

My main criticism of Pace is drafting Kevin White. That was disastrous and doubly so considering that Beasley and Gurley were on the board.

The other thing for me is not trading for Marcus Peters. A second and a fourth for a stud CB who is still under the rookie deal when the alternative is paying Prince $9M(?) per year? With the Bears picks being worth more than the Rams because of round positioning they might've gotten away with less. I know the argument against Peters is his behavior, but you never know with Fangio here and Peters knows that if he produces over the next two years he's getting paid big time especially being a CB.

That being said, the great things Pace has done (Nagy, drafting Biscuit so far, this year's FA, roster turnover, etc.) FAR outweigh those other negatives in my mind. It did take years to flush out the problems from the Trestman era and Pace has done that.
Z Bear
MVP

I can't bash for Pace not giving up two draft picks for Peters. He may be talented, but he is a head case. Had enough of that with Brandon Marshall.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Good talk guys.
IotaNet
MVP

Richie wrote: I don't even understand what there is to criticize about Pace. A few mid-tier priced free agent signings that didn't pan out? In years that we were never contending in anyway and cost us nothing in the big picture?

Totally agreed here. Pace was handcuffed by a number of factors (most notably Cutlers contract and Fox being foisted upon him) from day one. It is definitely now his team and he’s working HIS program.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Richie wrote:

I agree with your statement. Pace is really doing a great job.

My main criticism of Pace is drafting Kevin White. That was disastrous and doubly so considering that Beasley and Gurley were on the board.

The other thing for me is not trading for Marcus Peters. A second and a fourth for a stud CB who is still under the rookie deal when the alternative is paying Prince $9M(?) per year? With the Bears picks being worth more than the Rams because of round positioning they might've gotten away with less. I know the argument against Peters is his behavior, but you never know with Fangio here and Peters knows that if he produces over the next two years he's getting paid big time especially being a CB.

That being said, the great things Pace has done (Nagy, drafting Biscuit so far, this year's FA, roster turnover, etc.) FAR outweigh those other negatives in my mind. It did take years to flush out the problems from the Trestman era and Pace has done that.
Hindsight is 20/20

No doubt that he'd take the White pick back now, as we all would. However, there was no way of knowing what was about to come with him. He had very little injury history, while being a complete stud at West Virginia. He deserves criticism for that, but he didn't swing and miss due to his player evaluation. He swung and miss because White's bones decided to become glass.

(I realize that the White conversation has been had many times on the forum and that I'm not exactly breaking new ground with that reply - lol)

I also don't think RB made sense for us at the time, so far as Gurley goes. Beasley... yeah. That's the one that hurts for me.
I know we don't agree on this. However, I still stand by Peters not making that much sense for us.

CB is a position of strength for this team, at the moment. We had multiple other holes to fill with those picks. Peters behavior is an issue (as you said) and Pace has made it clear that we're not going that route with players. So, even if you're against that mindset. I don't think you can blame Pace for standing his ground.

If Daniels is a good center/guard (I think he winds up our center) for the next 5-6 years. IMO, this was far and away the correct decision. Seeing as I really like Daniels, I think there's a good chance of that happening.

A move like that for a star in Peters is a move that makes more sense in an off-season like 2019 or 2020. IMO. When we're ready to really compete. Even then too... he's just not the guy Pace wants to bring in. I can't fault him for that.
I know the argument against Peters is his behavior, but you never know with Fangio here
Eh... very few tolerate his type of behavior like Reid and he couldn't even take it anymore. That says something to me.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-haul-surprisingly-small-in-marcus-peters-trade-includes-no-first-round-picks/

Just to clarify an aspect of the Peters trade. It involved a fourth this year and a second for next year. We still could've drafted Daniels.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-haul-surprisingly-small-in-marcus-peters-trade-includes-no-first-round-picks/

Just to clarify an aspect of the Peters trade. It involved a fourth this year and a second for next year. We still could've drafted Daniels.
But not Miller
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

You don't know that. Depending on the fourth round pick used or the structure of the trade given the Bears higher round positioning with the second round pick in 2019 vs the Rams pick.
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:You don't know that. Depending on the fourth round pick used or the structure of the trade given the Bears higher round positioning with the second round pick in 2019 vs the Rams pick.
We wouldn't have had either of the picks that we traded for Miller. So... it's kind of safe to assume man.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

I like how Pace goes after guys he wants it's not like he's mortgaging an entire draft like Ditka did when he traded an entire draft for a running back lol... I love Ditka but that was such a bone headed deal. Pace is calculated with his trades and yeah we might lose out on a decent player when he does that but the payoff on a guy like Mitch if he works out is priceless. The others aren't that much in trade value sure we lose a 2nd next year but we got a player in the second this year that fits what his new coach wanted. They had to revamp the WR core and they hit it out of the park IMHO. They really didn't lose much in a 4th there's less of a guarantee in a 4th rounder. Although Pace has gotten us a few good players in the 4th. It's all a crap shoot but I believe Pace does his homework you can't predict freakish injuries like White's and at the time I thought it was a decent pick it wasn't who I wanted but hey on paper it looked good. Size and speed like White was worth the gamble and who knows maybe this year he can stay healthy and prove all us wrong. It's just been damn disappointing when he gets injured because there's some good potential there.

I'm just starting to believe in Pace I guess and that's weird... I havn't liked our GMs for a long time. Pace sees talent whether it's a small low profile school and takes a chance on them which I can get behind. If you're good then you're good. He likes to get guys that are a little older as well which shows he wants maturity over just getting a guy who might be flashy but a head case for instance. Those picks take a lot of research and he seems to be on top of that.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

We should all be so lucky to have clients and bosses so willing to make excuses as some of you guys make for pace.

But yeah. Very good offseason in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Richie
MVP

I guess I don't get what there is to excuse...
Knuckles
Player of the Month

crueltyabc wrote:We should all be so lucky to have clients and bosses so willing to make excuses as some of you guys make for pace.

Can you elaborate on what he's done that's been detrimental to the teams development? Just curious why you think we're making excuses for him...
Richie
MVP

Knuckles wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:We should all be so lucky to have clients and bosses so willing to make excuses as some of you guys make for pace.

Can you elaborate on what he's done that's been detrimental to the teams development? Just curious why you think we're making excuses for him...
Yeah, it's rather astonishing to me that anyone could have a criticism of Pace right now. "Oh no... he whiffed on a few mid-tier free agent signings that wound up being completely insignificant to the team's future."

It beats the hell outta me. If you would have told any of us we'd have this kind of optimism heading into 2018 - we'd have taken it in a heartbeat. This wasn't your typical "rebuild"... This was a complete trainwreck, that took a couple of years just to clear the wreckage.