Tailgating Bears game

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Jags33
Rookie

Hey i realize this is asking way in advance...but I've been a Bears fan since I was 8 (30 years). I am coming to Chicago for the first time in November to see the Vikings. I am from Vancouver, BC Canada...not many Bears fans here and I am excited to take in a game with real fans.

I wanted to know if there is anywhere in particular I can go for a true tailgating experience or if anyone knows a group of tailgaters who will take in 2 Canadians for a couple hours. Obviously travelling I won't be packing a long a BBQ but I will bring booze and don't mind paying a cover charge or whatever. Looking for a true tailgate experience where I can enjoy some of the fine Chicago style pre game food I've always heard about.

Again I know this is months in advance and I will likely inquire again closer to the date, but just curious now if anyone can point me in right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I believe that I parked at SW facilities lot 18th street. I got there at 7am and the lot was 1/2 full, completely full by 8am. It was a short walk to the stadium. Bears fans in general can be accommodating...

If you google 'grocery' on the maps section you'll see some options for possibly stopping for some sausages either the night before or on your way in to park...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

tailgate potato recipe:

wash and boil 1 fist sized potato (per person) for ~10 minutes (or microwave for ~5 minutes), then let cool to handle
cut into large bite sized pieces and place on sheet of foil (large enough to fold back over top)
add in sliced onion ~1/4 size of potato
add in 2-3 heads of brocoli uncooked
add in 3-6 pats of butter to taste
sprinkle in shredded chedder cheese
fold foil and crease edges to prevent butter from leaking.
--this is per potato

Cook roughly the same time as fresh sausage links on grill at stadium

--best to prepare the night before-- (you can go with raw poatoes, but the cook time on the grill is longer and you run the risk of the butter escaping or burning the edges of potato)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Decatur Staley
Rookie

Atkins&Rebel wrote:tailgate potato recipe:

wash and boil 1 fist sized potato (per person) for ~10 minutes (or microwave for ~5 minutes), then let cool to handle
cut into large bite sized pieces and place on sheet of foil (large enough to fold back over top)
--this is per potato

--best to prepare the night before-- (you can go with raw poatoes, but the cook time on the grill is longer and you run the risk of the butter escaping or burning the edges of potato)
He's flying in from Canada... Did you read the OP?

To OP, sorry, can't help you... There are a few bars along Michigan or Wabash or there are places further away that offer shuttle's to the game.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/ct ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Umbali
MVP

lol I paid attention to this thread because this year I was going to try and attend my first game at Soldier Field.

Cant believe there are so few responses to this.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Decatur Staley wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:tailgate potato recipe:

--this is per potato

He's flying in from Canada... Did you read the OP?

To OP, sorry, can't help you... There are a few bars along Michigan or Wabash or there are places further away that offer shuttle's to the game.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/ct ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had to fly to Chicago when I went. I just got there the night before, hit up the local corner market (there's 3 different ones within a longer walk--I just asked my cab to swing by a store on the way to my B&B so I could buy stuff). The B&B I stayed at graciously allowed me to pre-cook some of my food, and offered the use of their little weber, but I just walked around till I found someone with extra grill space.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i was worried i was the only one who flies everywhere with a suitcase full of potatoes.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:i was worried i was the only one who flies everywhere with a suitcase full of potatoes.
:rofl:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Decatur Staley
Rookie

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
I had to fly to Chicago when I went. I just got there the night before, hit up the local corner market (there's 3 different ones within a longer walk--I just asked my cab to swing by a store on the way to my B&B so I could buy stuff). The B&B I stayed at graciously allowed me to pre-cook some of my food, and offered the use of their little weber, but I just walked around till I found someone with extra grill space.
Wow... That is some dedication. Sorry for initial comment.

If OP is willing to do all that... I agree... 18th Street is the best lot for single game tailgating (At least it used to be, I left IL 6 years ago).
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

South lot is the only one I have ever tailgated in and it was a great time. Got there about 8a. great fans and crowd. They have a shuttle to take to and from the field. plenty of parking, plenty of porta potties as well.