Predict the Bears 2018 Record - Post-draft Edition

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Bears 2018 Regular Season Record will be...

12-4 or better
3%
11-5
3%
10-6
20%
9-7
29%
8-8
29%
7-9
14%
6-10
3%
5-11
No votes
4-12
No votes
3-13 or worse
No votes

Total votes: 35
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

We now pretty much know who will make up the team's key players.

Answer the poll and explain your answer.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My heart says 9-7 or 8-8. But my mind says that injuries will happen, hiccups in transition are inevitable and our head coach is learning on the job. And we're in one of the tougher divisions in football.

I think we could very well be at or a tick over .500. But our consistent record of injuries lately tells me that we won't match what we're capable of. I said 6-10 last year and we ended up 5-11. So I'm predicting a similar sub-optimal outcome.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

BR0D1E86
MVP

I’m going 9-7. I feel pretty darned good about this team.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

7-9 - 9-7 is my range. I'm feeling 9-7 though.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

8-8. There are bound to be some growing pains, but half their games last season were decided by eight or fewer points. They won 2 of those; merely spliting them instead puts them at 7-9.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I went 10-6. Our defense was top 10 last year, and we got 8 of 11 starters returning. I'm banking on two things happening. First is Floyd having a big year coming back from injury. I'm talking 10+ sacks. Second, I want to see the offense average 22-23ppg.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I went with 8-8. I think we make strides this season and we'll be a playoff contender with another offseason in 2019.
Never Die Easy
SC Bear
Journeyman

I think the offense will have a quick strike element to it and will score more with less time of possession. Turnovers will be more the question than points scored. I have not drafted a Bears player in fantasy for three years now but plan to use Burton and Miller in some leagues and Trubisky in a two QB league. The defense will be on the field more and depth will be their biggest issue. I do not like the early bye. My range is 6-10 to 10-6 Next year will be more telling if this group is the group or not.
wab
Mod

I went 9-7
makaur
Pro Bowler

I said 7-9. New coach plus a lot of youth probably means a few too many games will have a mistake or two that come back to bite the team in the arse and end with a close L.

However, I think this season will be a lot more fun to watch than any of the past 5. I do think the offense will finally show some life. Yes, we had a top 10 defense last year...sure would have been nice to see how good the D could have been if we had an offense that could actually stay on the field and score some points. This year...I think we are going to find out but like I said above, a mistake here and there will probably hold them, barely, from a winning record.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

10-6.

Nagy
Biscuit Year 2
Howard, AR15, Gabriel, Miller
Improved interior OL with Daniels
Top 10 defense

We have tons of momentum going into the season. Nobody will want to play us. The coaching changes, FA, and the draft were all home runs. Lots of things went wrong last season and we went 5-11. If we had good coaching, less injuries and a more experienced QB (that was unavoidable given Biscuit was a rookie), we would've been at least 8-8.

In our division the only team that concerns me is the Vikings. GB can be had and so can Detroit. I am very much looking forward to opening day and taking a huge shit in Green Bay's mouth right in front of their fans. Rookie DBs against this offense? Bring it MF'er. Lots of people on our team have something to prove in that game.

My biggest concern about this season is performance drop off on the defense. We didn't address the pass rush. Was it a fluke we had a top 10 defense with 0 pro bowlers?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm at 9-7. I think that the NFL pundits are going to predict 6-10 or 7-9, but the Bears made A LOT of progress in the right direction this offseason. I also think that there isn't very much tape on how Nagy calls a game. He did it for a few games with the Chiefs last year, but that's about it. The league is going to get caught a little flatfooted by the Bears offense.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

If Nagy is the coach we all hope he is 9+ wins IMO. Depending the injury bug
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

To be honest, this is a schedule that child have the Bears at 9-7. I picked 8-8 because it seems the most realistic.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

If the Bears offense takes a huge leap forward as expected the defense will be able to go after the passer when the teams leading by a couple scores. That's something we havn't seen in a while and makes the world of difference especially with a top 10 D. I picked 9-7 just because of the schedule and division but I can easily see them win 10+ and pull off a 2017 LA Rams kinda scenario if they hit on all cylinders and people stay relatively healthy. This is the most excited I've been about Da Bears this time of year in decades...
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
LacertineForest
MVP

8-8. I think we'll see a big improvement from the offense and about the same or maybe a little drop-off from the defense. Injuries and youth/inexperience prevent this team from reaching the playoffs.
wab
Mod

I'm usually not the most overly optimistic guy when it comes to their record... but I see the Lions struggling with the defensive switch and they didn't have a great offseason overall. The Packers feel like they are on a downward slide. Who knows what will happen with Cousins...but the Vikings are probably the front-runner for the division.

In my world the Bears finish 2nd in the division and in the wildcard hunt.
G08
Hall of Famer

I want to say 9-7 but I think the offense will struggle from time to time -- which is to be expected -- and we will lose a game or two that most expect us to win.

I think we're going to be 7-9 or 8-8... I'll vote 8-8.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm usually not the most overly optimistic guy when it comes to their record... but I see the Lions struggling with the defensive switch and they didn't have a great offseason overall. The Packers feel like they are on a downward slide. Who knows what will happen with Cousins...but the Vikings are probably the front-runner for the division.

In my world the Bears finish 2nd in the division and in the wildcard hunt.
I read this post and said to myself... "I need to hitch myself to your wagon." lol I've historically been Mr. Optimist. What you're saying here seems to make sense................... Just... So... Jaded.....................

UOK
Site Admin

8-8 feels right. 9-7, playoffs or not, is ultimately a great result. If this team makes the playoffs, look out.

What we can't see is any fewer than 7 wins. We can't have another season of injuries galore, and we can't have another season where you blow games due to coaching stupidity.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't think Nagy has ever been a head coach before, has he? I'm have to think he's in store for a mistake or two... hopefully nothing major, if at all.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I don't think Nagy has ever been a head coach before, has he? I'm have to think he's in store for a mistake or two... hopefully nothing major, if at all.
That I think is an underappreciated point. How many hot HC candidates wash out? It's pretty common. I'd hate to think that could happen here (again). But Nagy's light resume scares me some.

(Which probably means he'll be great. I hope so, anyway!)

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I chose 8-8 because I think we have some depth issues in some position groups and an injury or two could really create problems. When young players and a new coach are forced yo deal with adversity I think they’ll stumble a little. Specifically I’m looking at OLB, WR, and Safety. If we lose a guy there I think the team suffers a bit and we lose a couple of close games to similarly talented teams. If everyone in those groups stays healthy I think it’s ten wins but I’m not counting on it.
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:I don't think Nagy has ever been a head coach before, has he? I'm have to think he's in store for a mistake or two... hopefully nothing major, if at all.
That I think is an underappreciated point. How many hot HC candidates wash out? It's pretty common. I'd hate to think that could happen here (again). But Nagy's light resume scares me some.

(Which probably means he'll be great. I hope so, anyway!)
I think Nagy's going to make mistakes, but you can't be willfully football stupid. John Fox let the game leave him behind and a lot of his decisions were his stubbornness to adapt and not having full awareness of the consequences every decision he put forth could have.

Nagy's going to fuck up, but he needs to know better.
Z Bear
MVP

Let's face it.... our last 3 coaches were terrible at in-game decisions. Fox will go down in history as the only coach to challenge a play in which his team lost the ball, Lovie always looked blankly at the big screens every time the referees denied one of his moronic challenges, and Trestman was too busy figuring out the odds of runs vs pass to actually challenge a play.

I may regret saying this.... but could it really be any worse than what we have seen for the last 15 years?
G08
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: I may regret saying this.... but could it really be any worse than what we have seen for the last 15 years?
Huh... touche my good man.

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Feeling optimistic today so I went with 9-7, mostly on the strength of the defense. Last year I figured that if the offense had scored the league average points per game we would have won 10+ games. This year we've improved pretty much across the board, and the injuries can't continue at the same rate, can they?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What's crazy about this is that I just heard on the radio yesterday that the over under on the Bears in Vegas is 6.5 in some places and 6 in others. Wow.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

10-6

* new coaching staff with fresh attitude and an acceptance of innovation
* Trubisky in year 2 and with a re-freshened supporting cast that hopefully can catch the ball
* a solid running game in support
* a solid defense

they will win some games the oddsmakers will guarantee they lose because I think they will come together quicker than anyone is giving them credit for ... plus, I see Nagy and pals being smart enough to swap players around when needed rather than staying with someone not producing just because they had "starter" written next to their name

so I have high hopes and positive vibes for 2018 ... it is up to the Bears to validate those feelings or crush them
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin