Roquan Smith has team-issued iPad stolen from his car

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears rookie Roquan Smith has team-issued iPad stolen from his car
NFL players often get their playbooks on team-issued tablets, and the Bears may be hoping the tablet they gave first-round draft pick Roquan Smith doesn’t have an easy-to-guess password.

Smith got an iPad from the team after he was drafted, and on Saturday he called the police in Athens, Georgia, to report that the iPad had been stolen out of his car.

There was no immediate word about what kind of information the Bears put on the iPad before giving it to Smith, a linebacker who played his college football at Georgia.

Police say the iPad, other electronics, two watches, shoes and Smith’s Georgia helmet and three jerseys he wore at Georgia last season were all stolen out of his 2018 BMW X5. The report says there was no damage to the car, suggesting that Smith had left it unlocked.

Teams closely guard their playbooks, and if the Bears’ playbook had already been installed on Smith’s iPad, then the Bears probably won’t be thrilled to know he left it in an unlocked car.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Darned Patriots. ;)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
LacertineForest
MVP

Teams closely guard their playbooks, and if the Bears’ playbook had already been installed on Smith’s iPad, then the Bears probably won’t be thrilled to know he left it in an unlocked car.
No doubt the bears remote-wiped that thing the minute they heard it was lost. I don't know what kind of app they have for the playbook, but I would bet there would be other security measures on it that would make it difficult to access, even if you could get at the data on the drive.
UOK
Site Admin

BearButtseks wrote:
No doubt the bears remote-wiped that thing the minute they heard it was lost. I don't know what kind of app they have for the playbook, but I would bet there would be other security measures on it that would make it difficult to access, even if you could get at the data on the drive.

This is assuming the Bears have a competent IT team, which I assume they do. Maybe.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:

This is assuming the Bears have a competent IT team, which I assume they do. Maybe.
as long as it is not the same team that works on their web site they should be ok (maybe)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
LacertineForest
MVP

UOK wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:

I guess I'd be surprised if they have mobile app developers on staff that would do something as sensitive as their playbook. My guess is most teams outsource that, but I could be wrong.

Found an article from 2012 that says they were one of five teams using a company called "PlayerLync": http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/tech/ ... -playbooks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

BearButtseks wrote:
UOK wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:

I guess I'd be surprised if they have mobile app developers on staff that would do something as sensitive as their playbook. My guess is most teams outsource that, but I could be wrong.

Found an article from 2012 that says they were one of five teams using a company called "PlayerLync": http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/tech/ ... -playbooks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This. While I'm sure their in-house staff manages the content - I have to believe all of the development and support is done by a third party.

Looks like PlayerLync has branched out into the corporate/retail world and is now doing apps for employee education/training/certification.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

According to this the Bears remote wiped it.

https://deadspin.com/nfl-rookie-roquan- ... 1825865977

I'm chalking this up to a young man getting used to being targeted because he's famous. He'll learn and move on. He's not blameless in this if the car was left unlocked.
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found the culprit and got most of his stuff back.
Funkster
MVP

I'm wondering the scenario? Did he stop at the store on his way home? Or did he leave those possessions in his car overnight? A person usually doesn't leave "priceless possessions" in their unlocked car unless they're transporting from point A to B. If he did, then this should be a life lesson to him. I'm sure the Bears staff swiped that iPad clean and the information a teenage boy (or most people for that matter) could get from that play book is hieroglyphics anyways. It's hard enough to get highschool players to understand playbooks with concepts spelled out :D
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
UOK
Site Admin

Funkster wrote:I'm wondering the scenario? Did he stop at the store on his way home? Or did he leave those possessions in his car overnight? A person usually doesn't leave "priceless possessions" in their unlocked car unless they're transporting from point A to B. If he did, then this should be a life lesson to him. I'm sure the Bears staff swiped that iPad clean and the information a teenage boy (or most people for that matter) could get from that play book is hieroglyphics anyways. It's hard enough to get highschool players to understand playbooks with concepts spelled out :D
Was with a friend, thought he locked the car, accidentally left it unlocked, $40K worth a materials stolen, iPad included.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

UOK wrote:
Funkster wrote:I'm wondering the scenario? Did he stop at the store on his way home? Or did he leave those possessions in his car overnight? A person usually doesn't leave "priceless possessions" in their unlocked car unless they're transporting from point A to B. If he did, then this should be a life lesson to him. I'm sure the Bears staff swiped that iPad clean and the information a teenage boy (or most people for that matter) could get from that play book is hieroglyphics anyways. It's hard enough to get highschool players to understand playbooks with concepts spelled out :D
Was with a friend, thought he locked the car, accidentally left it unlocked, $40K worth a materials stolen, iPad included.
Was that Roquan's official response? I didn't see anything anywhere, link to an article?
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

Ohhhh the offseason.