Bears Sign Cliff Harris Award Winner - DB/KR Micheal Joseph

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Richie
MVP

Which is the award which goes to the best non D-1 football player in the country. He was only the second D-III player to play at the Senior Bowl in six years.

Outside of bringing in local hero and Heisman candidate (now Mount Carmel HC) Jordan Lynch a few years ago - I think Joseph is likely among the more notable UDFA's we've signed in my lifetime. The difference being, Joseph probably isn't a total long-shot to make the team.

He has a pretty good story too. The reason he wound up D-III was because up until the end of high school - he was 5'2 90 pounds and only recorded 6 tackles in his entire HS varsity career. He did not hit puberty until very late. Then sprouted into a D-1 caliber athlete after turning 18.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[video][/video]
Last edited by Richie on Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Adrian Peterson was Div I AA, now FCS, far from Div III. Quite a few FCS guys could play FBS ball. Quite a few FCS guys have made the pros throughout the years. Carson Wentz anyone?

Bears also drafted Aaron Stecker in 1999. Though he didn't make the Bears he had a decent 10 yr career with Bucs, Saints and Falcons.
Richie
MVP

Otis Day wrote:Adrian Peterson was Div I AA, now FCS, far from Div III. Quite a few FCS guys could play FBS ball. Quite a few FCS guys have made the pros throughout the years. Carson Wentz anyone?

Bears also drafted Aaron Stecker in 1999. Though he didn't make the Bears he had a decent 10 yr career with Bucs, Saints and Falcons.
Whoops. You're right. Memory getting shoddy...
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

There was a time when people felt the FCS.Div I AA players were no better than Div III players. I am more familiar with them and follow them due to my alma mater, WIU, being an FCS school and sending players to the NFL. I would much rather watch FCS football than FBS football.

Rockbear will tell ya how his North Dakota State Bison dominate.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:There was a time when people felt the FCS.Div I AA players were no better than Div III players. I am more familiar with them and follow them due to my alma mater, WIU, being an FCS school and sending players to the NFL. I would much rather watch FCS football than FBS football.

Rockbear will tell ya how his North Dakota State Bison dominate.
They're good... beat my Hawkeyes a couple years back
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS