'Last Chance U' QB John Franklin III signs with Bears

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

'Last Chance U' quarterback John Franklin III signs contract with Chicago Bears
Former East Mississippi Community College — which played host to the popular Netflix show “Last Chance U” — quarterback John Franklin III has found a home in the NFL.

Franklin agreed to a deal with the Chicago Bears on Sunday, he announced on Twitter. SB Nation’s Alex Kirshner confirmed the news, reporting that Franklin signed a rookie deal with the Bears as a defensive back/kick returner — marking yet another position change for the Fort Lauderdale, Florida, native.

Franklin played at East Mississippi Community College in 2015 when the popular Netflix series followed the team. He threw for 733 yards and seven touchdowns in the Lions’ nine-game season in 2015, and was the No. 23 junior college recruit after that year.

Franklin then transferred to Auburn for the 2016 season. He ran for 430 yards and two touchdowns as their backup quarterback, throwing for 204 yards and a touchdown. He transferred to Florida Atlantic for his final season last year and switched positions to wide receiver. He caught seven passes for 95 yards and a touchdown for the Owls.
looks to be a real long shot, but what the hell

it will be interesting watching the group of players fighting like wolves to gain a special teams slot
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Kid's gotten a lot of chances... and has never done anything more than be a backup. Now another position change? What the hell, I suppose. I know he's got a blazing 40 time. It'd be a really cool story if he does pull off the impossible. Unlike Jordan Lynch, at least he has the measurables to play in the NFL.
wab
Mod

He's got a pretty decent skill set as an athlete. DB is probably his best position out of them all to be honest.
Middleguard
MVP

Mini-Sherman?
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Interesting.
I often find myself wondering about some of the guys you see on these TV series. I remember watching him and not particularly liking his personality a great deal (no real reason, I'm just judgemental ha!) but he looked like a hell of an athlete! There must be potential there if people have been willing to keep him on even at different positions