Nagy, Hiestand host Olin Kreutz - "open door policy"

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@markgrotesports

Olin Kruetz was a guest of the Bears and offensive line coach Harry Hiestand. Bears head coach Matt Nagy’s attitude on former Bears popping in: “We have an open door policy.”
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I don't know if it helps to create a winning team, but I'm a big fan of this. Great players from the past passing on knowledge to the new generations of Bears.
UOK
Site Admin

It's fantastic for the culture of the franchise.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@markgrotesports

Olin Kruetz was a guest of the Bears and offensive line coach Harry Hiestand. Bears head coach Matt Nagy’s attitude on former Bears popping in: “We have an open door policy.”

just don't let Kreutz take them on a trip to the shooting range :-P
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Well, it'll certainly create an atmosphere around Chicago where former players are giving glowing reviews about the current staff/team. This kind of stuff tends to please the old-timers.

I suppose that's good. Not sure it really matters one way or another pertaining to winning football games, though.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

The picture of Smith I saw earlier today talking to Butkus was priceless and I'm sure made a huge impression on the kid. There's a wealth of knowledge that can be passed on.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Didn't John Fox, Marc Trestman and Lovie Smith have open door policies?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:Didn't John Fox, Marc Trestman and Lovie Smith have open door policies?

I feel like they've all to some extent had old coaches/players come by. Trestman had Ditka address the team during one early practice. Fox may have done something similar.

But a lot of these previous regimes never kept it up. Fox in particular wanted things closed, if anything. I'd like to think Nagy & co. are more determined to provide a renewed sense of fraternal pride in this franchise.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It is good publicity, good way for a newcomer to get in better with fans and the vets. You gotta get buy in anyway you can. It is a good move. you don't want it to be a distraction though. Doubt it effects W/L record but cool.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

It's good until one of them goes "Charles Oakley" or "Jay Ratliff" on someone
skamanfrank
Journeyman

It feels like the sort of news that we would otherwise just shrug our shoulders at if there wasn't such positivity around the team otherwise. But that said, it's absolutely not a bad thing and it's great to hear. There does seem to be a real shift in culture for the better and this certainly plays a part of that
Richie
MVP

skamanfrank wrote:There does seem to be a real shift in culture for the better and this certainly plays a part of that
100%

This staff and team gives off an extremely upbeat/positive vibe. Maybe that's simply the youth and personality of this team/HC - compared to Lovie/Trestman/Fox with older/veteran key parts (until last year).

Whether it matters remains to be seen. However, so far this has all been a breath of fresh air.

Even if it's all for show, I am enjoying it. I realize W's come September and on are all that matters, though. If we don't have the staff and players to execute on that, we won't care what they say on the podium. Still... it's fun right now.

Can't wait for training camp.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Agreed. I watch Nagy's press conferences and I see a kid in a candy store. It needs to translate to wins on Sundays otherwise sayonara and onto the next HC, but it won't be for a lack of genuine interest and enthusiasm.
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/articl ... 9bee6bec73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bears welcomed more than 20 of their former players to Halas Hall Tuesday to watch minicamp practice and to enjoy an alumni cookout.

“Any interaction we can get as alumni, it’s always good,” said James Thornton, a Bears tight end from 1988-91. “You see guys you normally don’t see, sometimes guys you haven’t seen in years. So it’s always good to catch up.”

Although the former players aren’t as young, fast or strong as they used to be, they remain avid fans of the sport they once played at the highest level.
View Gallery | 31 Photos
Minicamp 06.05.18

“We still love football,” said Thornton, a financial advisor for Merrill Lynch. “We can’t play anymore, but we still love it and still want to be a part of it. It’s great that the Bears have things like this and everybody can get together and reminisce.”

Former Bears receiver Marcus Robinson was also happy to be back at Halas Hall.

“I think it’s awesome,” said Robinson, who played for the Bears from 1998-2002. “The Bears are doing a good job with their alumni, inviting us back to see what’s going on.”

“It’s big,” added Johnny Knox, a Bears receiver from 2009-12. “It’s good to come out here and catch up with the guys, guys that you haven’t seen in a while, guys that you played with, guys who played before you. It’s good that the Bears host something like this and just want to continue that family culture.”

Knox, whose career ended due to a gruesome back injury, reports that he’s feeling good. “I’m standing up walking and moving around on my own,” he said. “I tell people all the time I can still golf, so I must be doing well.”

Nathan Vasher, a Bears cornerback from 2004-09, enjoyed returning to his old stomping grounds to watch practice and chat with other former players.

“It’s a blessing to get a chance to come back,” Vasher said. “There are so many great guys that paved the way for this great organization.”

Vasher and Knox will both serve as assistant coaches at Carmel High School, which is located not too far from Halas Hall in Mundelein. The head coach is Blake Annen, who played in five games as a tight end with the Bears in 2014.

“It’s a great situation,” Vasher said. “It’s a good opportunity to be around guys that know football, guys that care about mentoring young kids, developing young men and just getting a chance to be out there with a football program. It’s the greatest game in the world to me and all of us have something different to add when it comes to helping young people have success.”

Other former Bears who attended Tuesday’s event included Anthony Adams, Bob Avellini, Kurt Becker, Jason Davis, Rashied Davis, Steve Edwards, Jay Hilgenberg, Israel Idonije, Jason McKie, Ahmad Merritt, Anthony Morgan, Ryan Mundy, Mickey Pruitt and Tom Thayer.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I remember seeing Robo Cop (Thornton) in Platteville, Donisi's Bar, his first year. That dude was ripped something fierce. He had to be on the juice. He was driving a brand new 'vette with Robo on the plates. I wish camp was still there.

Bob Avellini. I hope he ubered.