For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Richie wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:Whatever the ranking is I don't believe it has validity because of all the change surrounding the team. HC, OC, QB year 2, and pretty much the whole receiving corps turned over. They shouldn't do one of those click bait ranking things about this team yet. Then again its not about being objective its about driving website traffic.
Yep.
Every single one of their top 4 WR and top 2 TE falls into not one, but at least two, of the following categories:

New to the Bears
Coming off serious injury
Little to no NFL experience
Being asked to play a much bigger role than they ever have before

What they're going to be is extremely speculative at this point.
Well, the thing about pre-season rankings is that they're all speculative by nature.

There's a lot of question marks. However, purely on paper... 14 ain't too far off one way or the other.
On paper? How about in somebody's offseason imagination. LOL
Isn't that the same exact thing?
Not quite. "On paper" implies there's some statistics you could print out to justify a judgement. Biscuit doesn't have much on paper. On paper, we don't have anything at the TE position outside of projected improvements. Allen Robinson--who I pulled hard for us to get--has one year of solid paper 3 years ago. Taylor Gabriel on paper? Not much. And the list goes on. Other than Jordan Howard, there's nothing on this offense other than projections. Of course, there's some rationale for the projections. But that's all they are.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Richie wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Richie wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:Whatever the ranking is I don't believe it has validity because of all the change surrounding the team. HC, OC, QB year 2, and pretty much the whole receiving corps turned over. They shouldn't do one of those click bait ranking things about this team yet. Then again its not about being objective its about driving website traffic.
Yep.
Every single one of their top 4 WR and top 2 TE falls into not one, but at least two, of the following categories:

New to the Bears
Coming off serious injury
Little to no NFL experience
Being asked to play a much bigger role than they ever have before

What they're going to be is extremely speculative at this point.
Well, the thing about pre-season rankings is that they're all speculative by nature.

There's a lot of question marks. However, purely on paper... 14 ain't too far off one way or the other.
On paper? How about in somebody's offseason imagination. LOL
Isn't that the same exact thing?
Not quite. "On paper" implies there's some statistics you could print out to justify a judgement. Biscuit doesn't have much on paper. On paper, we don't have anything at the TE position outside of projected improvements. Allen Robinson--who I pulled hard for us to get--has one year of solid paper 3 years ago. Taylor Gabriel on paper? Not much. And the list goes on. Other than Jordan Howard, there's nothing on this offense other than projections. Of course, there's some rationale for the projections. But that's all they are.
Projections and expectations are paper (IMO) - "Well, they certainly look good on paper"... I've always taken that to mean "what's projected/expected of the players on the roster looks to be good" or "If they follow through on expectations. Things look very good." Sorry, I just disagree on the semantics.

Off-season/pre-season rankings are all "imagination". So, I can't agree with laughing off this year's projections - while simultaneously placing value on yesteryear's stats.

They're both equally speculative tools, used to reach a final conjecture based dart throw.