I could listen to Vic Fangio all day long

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IotaNet
MVP

Wow. Color me impressed.

Not being in Chicago and not seeing all the interviews all the time, I had a mental image of Fangio as a bit of a grunting neanderthal (think Jim Tomsula) -- especially since he hasn't gotten serious head-coaching consideration. I always knew that he's a defensive genius but this interview reveals him as a highly-articulate, very thoughtful and engaging guy. Don't get me wrong -- he's still an old-school football coach but there's a level of nuance there that I didn't expect.

My (total!) bad for missing out on who this guy really is.

The Bears are in REALLY good shape from a leadership perspective!
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The thing I like is that he's willing to be reasonably honest. Like talking about Isaiah Irving... "He was really lost... and then the light came on near the end of training camp". Coaches generally don't say a player was "really lost" as that's quite a negative comment about one of your guys. But by saying that, you have a feel that you're not just getting "coach speak" from Fangio which we as fans really should love.

Quite interesting how he talked about how much Travathan has improved. Not what I was expecting.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

I listened to him live and just watching his demeanor and candor I think he's trying his best to show that he has what it takes to be a head coach. Good for him, selfishly I don't want him to ever leave us but if he gets an offer to lead an NFL team I'd be happy as hell for him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

Dam..this is a Man coaching young men..
Fangio fantastic..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

With apologies to Halas and Buddy Ryan, I think you could make a case for Fangio being THE best coach the Bears have ever had. Not the best head coach, mind you. Just the best coach. He hasn't led the league or anything. But has he had much to work with to produce a consistent top 10 unit? Who else would you make a case for? Halas and Ryan for sure. Ditka? I just don't see that at all. Dave Toub perhaps? Rod Marinelli?

Middleguard
MVP

I think George Allen was the best DC (wasn't called that then) the Bears have ever had.