Bears re-sign TE Zach Miller to interesting deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

1 year deal, pays about $800K if he can play, $400k if he can't.
LacertineForest
MVP

This is incredibly classy - you just don't see this kind of stuff often in a league that chews players up and spits them out. Love it, and if - by some chance - he can play again, then even better.
G08
Hall of Famer

Pretty fucking cool. I don't want to call it free money but it's clearly a sign of respect for that young man. Good for him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Nanky
Journeyman

Classy move the Bears, love it!!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Sounds to me like the thinking is... He wanted more than the minimum, but instead of that, we'll raise the floor from the $1000/week TC pay, which they didn't have to do. Works for me. The Bears do come out of this one smelling like a rose.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Good move by the Bears. Make the best of a bad situation
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

This is pretty cool. Similar to them keeping Knox on the roster after he was hurt. It keeps him on the team, gives him access to doctors and rehab facilities, and is a win/win if he can manage to play.
Funkster
MVP

Yes, very classily! I was wondering what the Bears were going to do, he seemed to be attending a lot of Bears events this offseason. This is more about Miller having access to the best doctors available and assuring he can have a normal life, then it is about him potentially playing. This is how teams should handle serious injuries to their players!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
malk
Head Coach

For someone as cap obsessed as me... love the move!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bad Flanders
MVP

And, it just makes good business sense. This is nothing relatively, it's what Jimmy G gets paid for 3 quarters of football now!

Getting broken and thrown out is probably most of these players number 1 fear. You know when it comes down to a free agent choosing between the Bears and another team, this will be on their mind.

Yeah, Miami has beaches but the Bears will have YOUR back. That's worth more than this deal.
LacertineForest
MVP

Bad Flanders wrote:Getting broken and thrown out is probably most of these players number 1 fear. You know when it comes down to a free agent choosing between the Bears and another team, this will be on their mind.

Yeah, Miami has beaches but the Bears will have YOUR back. That's worth more than this deal.
I was thinking that, too - seems like that has to have a positive impact on the Bears' image to FA. Ultimately, there are a lot of other things that matter more, but it's got to rank somewhere.
IotaNet
MVP

Can we FINALLY discard the cheap McCaskeys/meddling Ted Phillips tropes?

This is not the move of "cheap", "poorly led" , or " totally inept" franchise. This is Art Rooney/Wellington Mara behavior.
Last edited by IotaNet on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

This is awesome move. He looked like he was walking pretty good at the gala too. Though walking and playing I know is way different.
docc
Head Coach

Excellent move..Miller was a soldier.. No more cheap Bears BS..please..
skamanfrank
Journeyman

This is awesome to hear. As mentioned by others, the idea of a player getting injured and dumped must be a harrowing experience to go through. Even if he doesn't get back to playing, at least he now doesn't have to stress about what he is going to do in the immediate future etc, he can think about plans and know that he is financially secure this year AND he can still be around the team which I imagine will benefit both parties.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I applaud the move, but would like Miller to perhaps take a very cautious approach to this.

His injury was unusual and severe. I would hate for this move to motivate him to doing something too aggressive and end up losing a leg for his efforts.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:I applaud the move, but would like Miller to perhaps take a very cautious approach to this.

His injury was unusual and severe. I would hate for this move to motivate him to doing something too aggressive and end up losing a leg for his efforts.
I don't know that Miller is in any risk of losing a leg at this point, but your point is well taken. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

@CEmma670
1m
The Bears have placed Zach Miller on the reserve PUP list. He was signed to a one-year split contract yesterday.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@CEmma670
1m
The Bears have placed Zach Miller on the reserve PUP list. He was signed to a one-year split contract yesterday.

That is not necessarily a bad thing.

Bears place Zach Miller on reserve/PUP, ending season
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Chicago knew Miller could not play this season before signing him to a one-year, $458K contract Monday, but did so anyway.

Miller suffered a horrific dislocated knee in late October and underwent an urgent vascular surgery to repair a torn artery. He has endured nine surgeries before January.

"I'm feeling good," Miller told reporters Tuesday, per the Chicago Sun-Times. "Knee's getting stronger, really daily. I've been putting a lot of work in here just continuing to work on strengthening that area, everything around it. That's kind of the big thing about this is it allows me to have that opportunity to continue to do that. So I feel good and continue just getting stronger, get healthier. Time will tell. Just put everything into it that I can and kind of see see where that takes me."

A free agent prior to Monday's signing, Miller will now have the benefit of continuing his rehabilitation as a member of the Bears and with the hope of returning to full health, and eventually to the sidelines of Soldier Field.
Even though Miller won't be playing, his contract and him now being able to continue supervised rehabilitation for a year is good to hear.

My guess is he is going to do all the work necessary, but I doubt we'll see him on the field again.
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Chicago knew Miller could not play this season before signing him to a one-year, $458K contract Monday, but did so anyway.
But...why did they put clauses in his contract for "if he plays this year", knowing that they were going to put him on a season-ending list the next day?
:?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
GSH
MVP

Moriarty wrote:
But...why did they put clauses in his contract for "if he plays this year", knowing that they were going to put him on a season-ending list the next day?
:?
They knew he wasnt going to play but wanted to him to essentially gift him with around $400k, so that clause is likely in there because it has to be. Probably something to do with vet minimums.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

This was good on every level.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Well when someone literally almost loses a leg catching a football....

That was an overly generous and classy move.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Well when someone literally almost loses a leg catching a football....
I still get pissed whenever I think about how Alberto Riveron and his intentionally darkened video explanation took the catch away from Miller

The Marshall Plan wrote:That was an overly generous and classy move.
:thumbsup:
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/mille ... signed-him" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miller has had nine surgeries since suffering the injury

He also revealed he regained feeling in his foot within the last month.

“You talk about milestones; that’s one of the biggest ones, is that my nerve started to function again,” Miller said. “That was huge. That day hit and I wanted to have a party. Just that first little twitch, a little flicker. It wasn’t much, but when your foot hangs there for five months and doesn’t move, that can get defeating sometimes. The first time it moved was pretty cool.”
Yikes. :o
I knew it was a terrible injury, but I didn't realize how ongoingly severe the problems were.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Richie
MVP

Moriarty wrote:https://www.chicagobears.com/news/mille ... signed-him
Miller has had nine surgeries since suffering the injury

He also revealed he regained feeling in his foot within the last month.

“You talk about milestones; that’s one of the biggest ones, is that my nerve started to function again,” Miller said. “That was huge. That day hit and I wanted to have a party. Just that first little twitch, a little flicker. It wasn’t much, but when your foot hangs there for five months and doesn’t move, that can get defeating sometimes. The first time it moved was pretty cool.”
Yikes. :o
I knew it was a terrible injury, but I didn't realize how ongoingly severe the problems were.
Yeah, he really is lucky to not have lost the leg. If it happened pretty much anywhere besides an NFL field, with NFL doctors and staff around to get him into an ambulance... rush him to the emergency room... etc... He would be an amputee.