Bears offense giving defense “fits”

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

jasfirstroundbust wrote:
Umbali wrote:Everytime anyone has asked me about what I think the Bears will do this upcoming year, my answer has been " I am not sure if they will win more games or not, but they should be more enjoyable to watch."

Hopefully we have good growth and can bring it together quickly, but who knows lol
Being more exciting is a pretty low bar. Lol
lol ive been a Bears fan for almost 40 years, and I have found that the most reliable bar is the one where you can order a drink :P
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Richie
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:
jasfirstroundbust wrote:
Umbali wrote:Everytime anyone has asked me about what I think the Bears will do this upcoming year, my answer has been " I am not sure if they will win more games or not, but they should be more enjoyable to watch."

Hopefully we have good growth and can bring it together quickly, but who knows lol
Being more exciting is a pretty low bar. Lol
After the last 4 seasons, why would the bar be any higher? Have to walk before we can run. I'm expecting some improvement this season but not expecting a playoff push. I think we'll be playoff contenders in 2019 though.
Yeah, in any given NFL season. You'll usually get roughly 3 games that can swing either way in the final minutes. If we get some good bounces, maybe we can make a little push towards 9-10 wins. However, 7-8 wins would be a more realistic improvement. I think our "floor" of victories has probably jumped up a bit, though. For instance, I'd bet against us finishing with a top 10 overall pick again.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

super bowl
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I just put $100 on Bears for Super Bowl..... 40/1 odds.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

people will turn away and weep - our offense will be that good.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:people will turn away and weep - our offense will be that good.
Wait. I've been doing that for the last three years. :sad: I was hoping to end that reaction.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

46Blitz wrote:I just put $100 on Bears for Super Bowl..... 40/1 odds.
In 2006 my friend asked me while in Vegas who to put money on I told him the Bears because it was like 100+ to one to make the Superbowl and low and behold they did. He threw 1000 down. Crazy... He took me out like 5 times to high end restaurants in LA was fun.

I don't feel as confident this year but at the same time all the changes on offense / coaching it looks good on paper. If Trubisky comes out firing and our D can improve just in the turnover area this team might be worth a 1000 dollar bet this or next year.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Richie
MVP

Knuckles wrote:
In 2006 my friend asked me while in Vegas who to put money on I told him the Bears because it was like 100+ to one to make the Superbowl and low and behold they did. He threw 1000 down. Crazy... He took me out like 5 times to high end restaurants in LA was fun.

I don't feel as confident this year but at the same time all the changes on offense / coaching it looks good on paper. If Trubisky comes out firing and our D can improve just in the turnover area this team might be worth a 1000 dollar bet this or next year.
Yeah, I mean. You can just look at Philly this past year. Sometimes everything clicks and you beat your estimated time of arrival by a wide margin.

I think 2019 and 2020 will really be when our window begins. I'm trying to temper my expectations. I'd still be legitimately happy with a 9-7 season or so. However, there is no denying that we have the pieces to be an intriguing team if Trubisky is really ready to make a leap forward and Nagy is what we all hope him to be.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Knuckles wrote:

Yeah, I mean. You can just look at Philly this past year. Sometimes everything clicks and you beat your estimated time of arrival by a wide margin.

I think 2019 and 2020 will really be when our window begins. I'm trying to temper my expectations. I'd still be legitimately happy with a 9-7 season or so. However, there is no denying that we have the pieces to be an intriguing team if Trubisky is really ready to make a leap forward and Nagy is what we all hope him to be.
I agree, Richie. This year, the whole offense and most of the targets are new and unfamiliar. Our QB has only played 12 games (after 13 in college). Nagy is a newbie (as is Helfrich at the NFL level) who will need a year to make mistakes and learn.

But next year... look out...........
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think we have a 10 win team. The biggest risk to that is regression on the defense. OK we drafted Roquan, but the majority share of resources was used on the offense. Can a defense with no Pro Bowlers still be in the top 10 or 12? Pass rusher was not adequately addressed.

Yes the offensive system is new with the scheme and the personnel, but that's also an advantage. Opposing teams won't have film of us running that offense for them to study.

All in all we still have a very above average defense, an offense on the upswing with legit weapons (top half ranked by the end of the year?) and the locker room environment has got to be positive and energetic.
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:I think we have a 10 win team. The biggest risk to that is regression on the defense. OK we drafted Roquan, but the majority share of resources was used on the offense. Can a defense with no Pro Bowlers still be in the top 10 or 12? Pass rusher was not adequately addressed.
I feel you, but there really isn't even a question of whether or not Hicks would have been a pro bowler if he played for a competent team. Same likely goes for Fuller. We also have a couple more guys who have flashed that potential when healthy.

The D is all about health, IMO. Keeping Vic with these guys was huge and up until injuries ravaged us last year. The D was fun to watch again. I have some concerns about the pass rushing depth as well, I won't lie. We're really all-in on Floyd staying healthy, which is dicey.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Richie wrote:We're really all-in on Floyd staying healthy, which is dicey.
That's about the sum of it. Well said.

So if Leo gets hurt or just doesn't show up. What's the situation? Where does the D rank?

I don't think Fang lets the Mel Tucker sh*t show happen again at least.

If the offense can put points up the opposing offense will be forced to pass more, risk more, and make the pass rush easier. Without a true pass rush threat though, passing more might actually just work in opposing offense's favor. Unless the coverage is good enough to hold and we get some coverage sacks... that's harder now more than ever though.

I mean, in a sense, the Bears went all in on Fangio and then he went all in on Floyd. I guess you just hope Fangio can hold them together with some paper clips, string, and "hang in there" cat posters if Floyd isn't there... I think there are worse coaches to have in that situation at least.