Bears offense giving defense “fits”

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:I think we have a 10 win team. The biggest risk to that is regression on the defense. OK we drafted Roquan, but the majority share of resources was used on the offense. Can a defense with no Pro Bowlers still be in the top 10 or 12? Pass rusher was not adequately addressed.
I feel you, but there really isn't even a question of whether or not Hicks would have been a pro bowler if he played for a competent team. Same likely goes for Fuller. We also have a couple more guys who have flashed that potential when healthy.

The D is all about health, IMO. Keeping Vic with these guys was huge and up until injuries ravaged us last year. The D was fun to watch again. I have some concerns about the pass rushing depth as well, I won't lie. We're really all-in on Floyd staying healthy, which is dicey.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Richie wrote:We're really all-in on Floyd staying healthy, which is dicey.
That's about the sum of it. Well said.

So if Leo gets hurt or just doesn't show up. What's the situation? Where does the D rank?

I don't think Fang lets the Mel Tucker sh*t show happen again at least.

If the offense can put points up the opposing offense will be forced to pass more, risk more, and make the pass rush easier. Without a true pass rush threat though, passing more might actually just work in opposing offense's favor. Unless the coverage is good enough to hold and we get some coverage sacks... that's harder now more than ever though.

I mean, in a sense, the Bears went all in on Fangio and then he went all in on Floyd. I guess you just hope Fangio can hold them together with some paper clips, string, and "hang in there" cat posters if Floyd isn't there... I think there are worse coaches to have in that situation at least.